1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Drvi3r Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Marv, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I know a few people have got this already i should have my copy byt Tuesday off play. Thought i 'd start a thread to discuss, peoples thouhts ont eh game, there progress, things they've found etc.

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got it yesterday.

In short: good game, lots of fun moments...terrible AI! And I mean absolutely shockingly bad! I've seen cops drive straight into the ocean, crash their cars for absolutely no reason and even seen citizens shoot each other! :rotfl:

There's also constant crashes and glitches...ie polygon wrapping and pop up, to cars gettings stuck in walls, floors, other cars and trees! :nono:

It's clearly not finished, or even close IMO, but somehow I'm still enjoying it. The Director mode could be one of the most addictive gameplay features I've ever seen :eek: . There's also loads of extras ie pursuit mode, chase mode, checkpoint race etc

The graphics are nice but the textures are very plain. But when you see the size of the cities, you'll see why! They're hooge!

It's good for a laugh but to release this as a full-price game and claim it's the finished product is laughable, IMO...it's a 3/10 and nothing more :thumbsdow . There are some good moments and the missions are varied and fun but there is just far too much wrong with the game.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,414
    My opinion (if it counts) is that it is an awful, awful game

There is no excuse for a game with this much (supposed) talent and money behind it should be this bad

The on foot sections juts feel real clunky and sloppy, you have no sensation of running, more like a floaty feeling. Even turning can be a chore.

The car sections are worse, the cars feel as if made out of balsa wood, very light and breezy with the slightest knock sending your car into a mid air spin that would make high board divers jeleous

Even simple things like not being able to skip cut scenes just show how shoddy it is

Got mine this morning and it was back at game by 4pm - aparantly mine was the 4th returned copy

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too much like a crappy go at updating driver2 (which was awful)
    too much hype and not enough work on the game.
    best to wait for grand theft auto: san andrea.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Games that are ported from PS2 always seem disappointing.

They should code them for the xbox first, so they get the most out of it, making the game look streets ahead, then strip it down to play on the lesser consoles.

That way we wouldn't get dross like Tenchu, which could have been so good! :(

6. blunt

blunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I would take my copy back to game,but my bulldog chewed the case and its completely destroyed so i suppose i will have to grow to like it :mad:

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    :( now i dont know wether i want to buy this. ive been looking forward to this title for a while and was going into town to get it by after seening these coments im put off. maybe a trip to blockbusters is in order

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awful Game, played at the weekend,

Very disapointed

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    I just can't get my head around the way the cars handle - its a very unsophisticated model, with no subtlety at all. I can't see why anyone who likes the GTA games wouldn't get some enjoyment out of this though, it might as well be one of the series. Just not what I was hoping for.

But I love the make-your-own-carchase-movie director mode. Takes me back to Driver 2, which I really enjoyed (at the time of course). It just seems like its not progressed since then. Rental choice - style over quality. 5/10

10. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    BTW - has anyone else noticed that no reviews have been made available for this, except for the highly complementary 9/10 in XBOX World? One review site on the web was even ordered to pull their review temporarily (Worthplaying IIRC), due to an "information embargo" on the game. I smell a big fat dirty rat.

I know Atari or Refelections Interactive would argue this is due to exclusivity contracts, but this together with a rush to sell the game a week early stinks of 'we've got a crap one on our hands' panic to me.

11. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    graphics are poor, camera angles are too close, all round poor game. I'm playing the xbox version.

this is not a patch on gta3: vc. Its a shame really as it could have and should have been so much better.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    What a shame, was quite looking forward to this game as well, ah well roll on GTA san adreas

13. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well my Copy for the PS2 arrived this mornig fromplay and.....

After playing it for 3 Hours i can say i'am hooked and loving it, the on foot sections are slighty ropey and the auto aim is a little crappyt at times you get used to it though. The Driving on the game is as good as the rest. The Graphics are fine too sure there not setting new boundaries but they do teh job and are nice to look at. Take a ride mode is Fun and Nice is a real fun city, taking an 18 wheeler around teh tight winding roads is great fun, as is thrashing a Reault 5 around them aswell. The pop up is bearly noticble.

All in all i like it and would give it 7/10.

14. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    the handling on the driving is absolute rubbish.

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    o well i lent a copy out and OMG how boring is it! graphics look good, Cars handling ok ish (still dont understand in the lambo car u travel at full speed brake for a second and u stop dead hehe). now the missions r just as dull as the 1st 2 driver games. ive only played a few missions and not impressed. chase this car, drive to this place bla bla bla. roll on october for GTA:SA :smashin:

16. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The review for Driv3r was missing from this month OPS2M as it was 'not ready to be reviewed'. Sounds like a bit of an understatement judging from this and other forums where its been getting a more severe lashing.

By the sounds of it the PS2 version is just as bad as the X-Box version.
    Thought I read that the x-box was developed in parallel with the PS2 therefor not a port. Could be wrong though, i seem to get things wrong all the time. At least thats what my women tells me :laugh:

17. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Ch4's Game Central Gave it, 3/10. I heard that Atari would'nt give Magazines a Review copy unless they said they would award it 9/10 or 10/10. Which is why hardly No Magazines reviewd this month.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Games Rankings, a game review compiling website, has given it around the 50-60% mark. Which sounds bad. A lot of reviews are naming the game as the biggest letdown ever etc.

19. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Another review at Eurogamer Here for the xbox version - 3 out of 10. Awful game with so many flaws.

20. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I slated this game initially, but there is a hidden diamond in the rough:

Director mode.

I have spent hours and hours making mini-films, and the freedom and tools available make it soooo easy and so (to me) professional looking.

Best thing is that you can upload your movie (only 1 at a time, but you can save oodles on your HDD to be uploaded when your public demands more *ahem*) to Live! and others can download it and watch it. It takes only a couple of seconds to up/download even the most complex of movies.

My gamertag is Juz and I'm putting movies up there all the time.

I would sincerely urge anyone who's got the game and not liking it to give this a whirl - it's made me keep a game that was destined to use Game's 10 day return policy. It's that good.

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i played it last night (xbox version) and i have to say that it really quite good - no hang on that was something else - it was sh*te!!!! graphics were woeful and the pop up!! This game should been called "pop up". its one of the worst games i've played this year its not fit to wipe gta's steering wheel.

awful game.

Gary

22. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i dunno...given it a week to grow on me and it is. despite it crashing 3x at the end of the mission where you've got to attempt to nick that Ferrari 365, I eventually managed to complete Miami, now nearly completed Nice. And its an addictive, provoking game that you've got to put a bit of thought into.
    Yes, the graphics are very ropey, especially compared to PGR2 and its an obvious copy of GTA VC but thats all part of its naíve charm. One of the neater touches of the original Driver was you could spin the wheel trims off which would have been a nice touch for this edition but you can't have everything.