1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Driller Killer: 2 Disc Limited Edition R0 Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sigismund, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    [​IMG]

We take a look at the new limited to 10,000 2 disc release of cult horror classic - The Driller Killer

Read the review here

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Uh Oh Mark - Expect a backlash. My similar review of Night of the Living Dead was received with a degree of hostility akin to the zombies assault on the shopping mall.
    :)

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I totally agree with Mark. It's a load of dross. The only attraction is that was once banned, so, of course, everyone wanted to see it. In fact, I dare to submit, that all of Abel Ferrara's films are as bad as each other. Bad Lieutenant is another pile of crap, and wasn't there something called The Funeral? Driller Killer, is, in my opinion, poorly acted, pooly scripted, has no story and is boring (geddit?) as hell.

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I agree too, can't say i've watched the whole thing, but since i'm very easy to please when it comes to movies, that really says it all. Forced myself to sit through it up until the first killing, incase it got interesting, but god, i wanted a drill of my own to drill out my eyes....

5. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK Mark - so it was just my review that everyone hated. I clearly just have bad taste. ;)

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Yeah, but Dawn Of The Dead (did you mean that one? :D ) is "rather good" when compared to TDK! ;)

Thanks for the backup, guys... I was a little concerned, I must admit ;)

I'd quite like a fan of the movie to give their thoughts, too!

Mark

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I thought you got that review spot on ;) There's a quick test of bad taste... like TDK and you've got it :laugh:

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

Okay, I want to defend the movie. Is this a first? :laugh:

Whilst I appreciate that the vast majority of people who have seen this film did see it purely because it was considered to be the original Video Nasty (circa, Britain 1984), of which I was one of those people, I personally feel that it's not as bad as everyone makes it out.

I accept that the film has a minimal plot, the acting is dire, the script pretty much non-existant, and the direction lousy. I also accept that taking that all into consideration, that doesn't leave much to be praised.

But, despite all of that, "The Driller Killer" is one of those films that still manages to retain that certain something for me, to keep me watching. And it's probably the fact that the film wallows in everything that was nasty, for its time, that I enjoy. Plus the fact it deals with mundanity and everyday things. This isn't a film about a murderer who has a reason for his killings. It's about how an ordinary man can turn completely in the opposite direction, and become a murderer, who kills for the sake of trying to get society to accept and appreciate him. Well, that's what I think.

POTENTIAL (MINOR) PLOT SPOILER: The painting of the bison, that the lead character Reno paints, is not actually a bad piece of art, per se. The art salesman/art store manager, though, claims it's just junk; worthless. Why? Because to him, the artwork doesn't say anything. To him, it has no point, no purpose. But isn't all art open to that same accusation? Example - John Constable's famous painting of "The Haywain". Now, a lot of people love that piece, and can spout endless amounts of speech on what makes it good. To me though, it's just a horse and cart stuck in the middle of a pond or river. To me, it's not that special or clever. However, even though I don't like it, I can see why to many others it is considered such a masterpiece.

I kind of get what Ferrara was saying in the film: that sometimes normality can drive you slowly nuts. The fact that doing the same thing, day-in, day-out, and never seeming to get what you want or where you want to go, can make you crazy. I also appreciate the concept of people (e.g. art critics) whom berate something because they don't like it, when the artist who has done the work, has poored his/her life and soul into that work.

People in some of the posts above mine, mention artwork that is considered so wonderful, yet it looks like a two-year-old just dropped a large paintbrush on a bit of paper. So it must be gauling for true artists to see that kind of work win awards, or sell for thousands or even millions, when their (superior?) work is left on the sidelines, and receiving no interest whatsoever.

Ferrara is not a bad director, per se. Their are far worse (mainstream Hollywood) people churning out films today, that make him look like another Truffaut, Spielberg, Wenders, or Coppola. His films are, admittedly, love 'em or hate 'em types. But if you understand Ferrara, and where he is coming from - both in a filmic sense, and because of his personal background - then you can sometimes appreciate his works far more.

I'd personally recommend: "Ms 45" (aka "Angel Of Vengeance"), "King Of New York" (with Christopher Walken), and the double-bill "The Funeral/The Addiction".

Can I also recommend a brilliant FAB Press book, that came out a month or so ago, called "Abel Ferrara: The Moral Vision" by author Brad Stevens, available from any good bookshop. This is a brilliant book that really gets under the skin of who and what Ferrara is, and what his works are all about.

I shall end on a controversial note: you don't have to necessarily like something or someone, to appreciate their work or them. I don't like a lot of artists, but I can see why some people do. :lesson:

Pooch

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok PoochJD, you convinced me. :D

Seriously, I'm a huge fan of King of New York, and I liked Bad Lieutenant quite a bit, so I might have to check this one out. I think I saw it as a kid - I mean who could pass up a film with that name when you're renting a ream of horror movies for an all-nighter? - but I don't remember much about it.

10. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Driller Killer is more interesting for what it doesn't show than what it does: it's a gutter art film (though I have no great love of it) but at least it's mildly intriguing, which is more than you can say for most of the video nasty guff.

Ferrara is by turns brilliant and terrible, exhilarating and yawn-inducing, exactly what the best artists should be.

I happen to very much like Bad Lieutenant, KoNY, The Addiction, The Funeral, Ms. 45 etc. I HATED Body Snatchers, Dangerous Game and The Blackout.

But I'd rather Ferrara be like that than consistently brilliant: it's what makes him so appealing (IMO).

regards,
    anephric