The Dreamer stops dreaming!

If you want to look at a sub box go onto facebook and look up cinemike in germany check July post ! concrete sub box.

Hi could you not make the drop down panel into a drop down lift panel ie like when those pj lower down from the ceiling in vertical motion and then raise the whole thing up square?

My DIY skills, and time, are limited - I don't think I could pull that off, and the panel is actually quite a bit smaller than the projector - as it is, the projector has to be fed in 'arse end' first, before the front can be lifted up. Plan A is still to go with my split shelves idea - in fact it's the 'feeding in' of the projector at present that gave me the idea of the shelves.

Baby steps today. Built the first one and a half frames that the fabric will be stretched over, making up the top half of the walls. It's slow progress, as I have to wait for the glue at one end to harden completely, before I can glue up the other end.

It's simply that at any one time, part of the frame hangs off the edge of the work-table. If the corners haven't set, they just fall apart - even shooting several brads into the corners only helps a little, the twisting moment from the unsupported bits still pull the corners out of square.

I'm going to build the frames first, and then route the edges all in one hit, before giving them a coat of dark paint. I haven't decided whether to use a round-over bit, or a chamfer - I'm leaning towards the chamfered look.

Pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.

If you want to look at a sub box go onto facebook and look up cinemike in germany check July post ! concrete sub box.

I haven't seen it yet; but there are some crazy sub builds out there. I think the craziest (but beautiful) sub build I've seen was a milled solid cube of aluminium! Plain nuts! But awesome!:cool:

...Oh, nearly forgot. My speaker kits from DIYSG have shipped - they should be waiting for me in New Jersey on Thursday!:smashin:

Just checked it out - that is mental! Though he could probably have done an IB sub with that amount of space. I did consider doing an IB, just for the hell of it, but figured I had enough to do already, without heading off on that particular journey!

Could you make it so that the front shelf is removable as well so it also just rests on supports?

i.e. slide back of projector in, lift front up, slide shelf into position on brackets, then rest projector on shelf.

Gives you more room to manoeuvre the projector then.

Indeed, this may be what I'll have to do. It's all a bit of a squeeze in there!

Could you not re jig the back bit to flush the pj into the back wall? Is there a hall way at the back wall where you can walk round and wire with ease may be, i have mine putruding into my outside facia slightly

Could you not re jig the back bit to flush the pj into the back wall? Is there a hall way at the back wall where you can walk round and wire with ease may be, i have mine putruding into my outside facia slightly

Sadly not, as it would destroy the 'room within a room' soundproofing; that, and the fact that the second wall is 1 1/2ft thick solid stone.

Anyway, problem solved - I have the shelf system up and running, using a couple of spare oak floorboards I had lying around (I tested each one by standing in the middle, whilst supporting them at either end - these certainly won't be the weakest link in the chain)!

I strengthened the hush box a little, and put a few more screws in holding it to the ceiling - thankfully, since the whole room is double layered with OSB and Plasterboard, I can screw anywhere, without having to find a joist.

Anyway, projector now up and running - very, very happy with the picture quality - and that's before any calibration.

Rewinding a little here are a few pictures my lad took of me fitting the projector mount, before switching over to the shelf solution....

Cinema Build-1040858.jpg

Cinema Build-1040860.jpg

Cinema Build-1040861.jpg

^^^ Quite a beastie, is the LS10000. The mount was certainly up to the job, shame it didn't work for me.

And then todays other news....

Cinema Build-1040865.jpg

^^^ The chairs arrived. The correct ones this time. They are very comfy - very happy with them.

Cinema Build-1040866.jpg

^^^ You can almost tell what I'm going to say next. Yes, that's a temporary screen, held in place with cord and clothes pegs.

Cinema Build-1040867.jpg

^^^ Looking back to the two rows. The back row can see all the way to the floor over the heads of the front row.

Cinema Build-1040869.jpg

Cinema Build-1040871.jpg

^^^ Someone snuck in for a last try out before bed-time.

And yes, the cinema has been christened. We watched our first movie in it tonight. Wall-e.

Just hooked up a basic 5.1 system and you've already seen the screen - but WOW!!! All four of us watched it, and all four of us were seriously impressed.

Don't forget, this is my first ever projector, and quite frankly I'm giddy with delight at the image and experience the cinema gives - even in such a basic state! We've just finished watching, and are heading to bed, as I'm back to work tomorrow - but wow, just wow! Can only imagine what it'll be like when it's truly finished!

Love the chairs too, it’s not a colour I would have thought about, but they look great. Nice touch with the cup holders too. It’s really taking shape......top notch build.

Simply superb. Love everything about it, what a great job you have done.

Love the chairs too, it’s not a colour I would have thought about, but they look great. Nice touch with the cup holders too. It’s really taking shape......top notch build.

I think at least part of the colour choice was due to the cinema being right in the middle of the house; I, that is, we (meaning 'she') didn't want a total bat-cave; maybe if it had been an outhouse, or shed build, I might have got away with it, but part of the feel we wanted (note that use of the word 'we' again :love:) was to have a room we could lounge around in, and maybe listen to some music, or even do homework. So, while it is a dedicated cinema, I think from time to time it'll still get used as just somewhere comfortable and quiet to chill. There'll be plenty of Devore going up at the front!

edit: I should add that the colour is 'Light Tan', and the seats are the Paramount+ range, from DeluxDeco.

Last edited:
Simply superb. Love everything about it, what a great job you have done.

Well it's not finished yet!

I have, of course, committed the cardinal sin of mounting the projector before the project is complete. We all know what happens now! :facepalm:

I must stay strong and resist the temptation to keep watching movies.:D

Impressed. Difficult to make the connection between the photos on post #258 (and a couple before) where there was little more than a hole in the ground and those in the last couple of posts.

Easy to see why you're happy with the results of all the work.

Impressed. Difficult to make the connection between the photos on post #258 (and a couple before) where there was little more than a hole in the ground and those in the last couple of posts.

Easy to see why you're happy with the results of all the work.

Thanks Navvie,

Yes, big changes from eighteen months ago. Still acutely aware that there's lots to do.

I'm away to work now, just waiting for my flight to Heathrow, and picking up my HTM-12 speaker kits this evening.

I still need to order my Volt 6s, in two lots of 4 (keeps me under the Duty Free allowance).

I've also decided to have a go at a four-way masking system - eventually! Watching the movie last night, and moving around the cinema, I can see how different movies would benefit from a slightly different size, not just aspect ratio. It would also allow me to display the occasional widescreen movie, even when they have 'IMAX' scenes embedded.

So the screen size in the pictures is roughly what I'll end up with - minus the border for the roller blind fittings. I need to do a lot more research into this, but I think it's doable!

Can't see this being done until next year though. Not least because each somfy motor takes me very close to my import limit, so at least 4 trips Stateside will be required.

On my way home now.....

HTM12s in tow. HMRC stung me for VAT on the total amount, i.e. Once you go over your allowance, your allowance is forfeit, and everything attracts VAT - not what it infers on their web-site! I thought the first £390 was exempt, and I'd only pay VAT on the remainder. So my bill from them hurt a bit more than I was expecting at £130.:mad::rolleyes:

Also, I thought I might get away with the smaller of the two boxes as hand luggage - but no chance. And to check two bags/boxes in is outside of my luggage allowance. Obviously this wasn't a problem on my own flight, but now that I'm a passenger again I lose any 'privileges' of rank!

So a choice of paying £65 for excess baggage, or a staff 'Club' ticket for a little bit more! (A Club ticket holder is allowed two pieces of hold luggage). Of course I tried blagging my way through first - but 'Computer says no!' was on duty today! :censored:

I chose the latter, as a. I can still use my original ticket to get home next week, so it actually only costs me an extra £30 or so in the end, and b. I get a decent seat, and fed and watered!

Still, despite the hassle factor, it's still cheaper than shipping and then VAT on top of all that (VAT gets charged on standard shipping rates too)!

Right, I'm off to put my head down for an hour, I know I ramble when I'm tired! More tomorrow!

Last edited:
....and they've lost one of my bags!:facepalm:

edit: bag (box) has now been found and will be with me tomorrow morning. I hope so, I managed to fit the box with the drivers into the bag that made it. The missing (now found) box contains everything else!

Last edited:
Sounds like the time difference kept you in the realm of Friday the 13th[emoji2]

Yes, I hadn't realised it was Friday the 13th until I looked at my watch over breakfast - there was always something going to go wrong!

At least the box that didn't make it is the heavy one. It's saved me from having to hump it to and from the car.

Anyway, it's not like I'm short of things to do. I'll try and get a couple more frames built tomorrow.

At the moment, each frame is taking too long. I'm having to wait for the glue to off on a couple of the corners before I can do the next corners. This pretty much takes all day.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and make a frame by putting together just the MDF with glue and pocket screws. And then add the plywood in one go.

Just realised that probably doesn't make sense, as I haven't described, or shown, how I've been putting together the frames. I'll do that tomorrow, and then all should become clear!

Last edited:
You appear to be making good progress with your speakers and room! Unlike my sorry self who is still chasing down an order for wood that was supposed to be delivered 8 days ago :D!

You appear to be making good progress with your speakers and room! Unlike my sorry self who is still chasing down an order for wood that was supposed to be delivered 8 days ago :D!

Crikey! Is that the MDF cutting service you linked to elsewhere?

I was thinking of using them, but I've come up with another cunning plan to build my speaker boxes! (It involves buying another toy tool on my next trip to Newark (later this week) along with another trip to B&Q, but think it's doable)!;)

Crikey! Is that the MDF cutting service you linked to elsewhere?

I was thinking of using them, but I've come up with another cunning plan to build my speaker boxes! (It involves buying another toy tool on my next trip to Newark (later this week) along with another trip to B&Q, but think it's doable)!;)

Yes it is that service. The price they I've paid is about the same it would have cost me in MDF from B&Q that I would have had to cut myself, with the added benefit of it being delivered to my door. Hopefully I'll receive a refund in the next couple of days and I'll be left with no other option but to do the cutting myself!

Sorry to hear that. It certainly settles the direction I'm going then. The plan will be for B&Q to rip down one or two sheets of MDF into strips, corresponding to the depth of the sides of the speakers - I can then just make the cross cuts to create the panels I need for each side of each box. And then do the same for the backs.

There are various online 'cut-list' generators that will help determine how many sheets of MDF I'll need, and show me the most efficient way of making the cross cuts.

I've made another frame today, using my new method. There are a couple of pitfalls with it, which I'll describe this evening when I put the photos up.

I'm going to make another now, to see if I can improve on the process and avoid more c*ck-ups. The end product doesn't appear to be quite as neat as my earlier frames, but I'm thinking they don't need to be - as long as they function well enough - as the frames will be covered in fabric.

If it helps I've created my own cutlist in Word with the exact dimensions of each panel incl full panels for internal bracing from two sheets of 18mm 2440x1220 MDF!
Capture.JPG

That's great, but I'm going to add the cuts for all the Volt 6s too - although I have yet to order them.

Which web-site/program did you use to produce these?

Managed to produce another frame....think I have the technique down now.

I'll try to get the pictures up later tonight - just off for a swim now....and movie watching later!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom