The dreaded setup question!

craigyj

Novice Member
Good morning Techies,
I fear this thread is ingrained in all AV setup Gurus' souls but please be kind LOL!
I have a dilemma that I have been trying to resolve for some time with my new subs.
They are Roth KH30 200w active (I can see the eyes rolling!) no LFE input just L & R with binding posts too.
My AV receiver is a Sony STR-DH820 that is a 7.2 channel.
I've tried using a splitter cable 1 into 2 on both sub-outs connecting the distal ends into the Roths.
I have set my speaker pattern in the amp as 5/1(centre)/ and..........this is where my problem starts. Even with two subs connected in the correct ports on the back of the Sony only 1 appears on the speaker pattern irrespective of setting the speakers to Large all round and Small all round and crossovers at 80.
I have even done a factory reset but alas to no avail.
My speakers are Tannoy V4 comprising of four floorstanders and centre.
I hope someone who has better knowledge and the will to read my huge post can help.
Many thanks, Craig.:clap:

Dolus

Even though you can connect two subwoofers there is only one sub output that has been split into two sockets so you can connect two subs.

If you look at this page from the Sony manual you will see that each speaker is designated a different letter A-K but the two subs have the same letter J.

Very few AVR's have the capability to deal with two subs separately and then it is only the levels and distances that are set independently, the subs are EQ'd as one.

Screenshot 2022-04-01 171203.png

craigyj

Novice Member
Even though you can connect two subwoofers there is only one sub output that has been split into two sockets so you can connect two subs.

If you look at this page from the Sony manual you will see that each speaker is designated a different letter A-K but the two subs have the same letter J.

Very few AVR's have the capability to deal with two subs separately and then it is only the levels and distances that are set independently, the subs are EQ'd as one.

View attachment 1676659
Thank you so much for your valuable help.I had seen that but assumed that was just for the 7.1 setup as the diagram shows although you quite rightly point out two on it.I will remember that when looking for my next receiver and to look at the technical specs that gives the output of each channel.On that note is the output halved on the subs as it is only one channel that's split into two?
I looked into using other outputs but it does not have a pre-out so unless it's possible using another I'm scuppered. I'll just use one cable into the right channel of the Roths and start watching films with lots of bangs and explosions!
Once again I would like to express my thanks and doff my cap to your technical advice which even I can understand,

Dolus

Thank you so much for your valuable help.I had seen that but assumed that was just for the 7.1 setup as the diagram shows although you quite rightly point out two on it.I will remember that when looking for my next receiver and to look at the technical specs that gives the output of each channel.On that note is the output halved on the subs as it is only one channel that's split into two?
I looked into using other outputs but it does not have a pre-out so unless it's possible using another I'm scuppered. I'll just use one cable into the right channel of the Roths and start watching films with lots of bangs and explosions!
Once again I would like to express my thanks and doff my cap to your technical advice which even I can understand,
Your Sony has two subwoofer outputs. Use both outputs, one cable to each subwoofer, and no the output is not halved. In fact at the subwoofer you can use a splitter to feed both the left/right inputs to get a bit more gain.

Screenshot 2022-04-02 123534.png

Screenshot 2022-04-02 120746.png

Last edited:

craigyj

Novice Member
Fantastic explanation and diagrams. I was already using both sub outs on the receiver and have used splitters. I feel an experiment coming on!
Thank you and best wishes,
Craig.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom