The Dreaded Burn-In Debate!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dooid, Oct 12, 2004.

1. dooid

dooid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just got a Panasonic Viera TH42PE30B and I'm bricking it about burn-in, I know I shouldn't be but when you pay so much for something you tend to get a bit paranoid. I play alot of video games so its this that has me a bit worried. Has anyone had any trouble with burning in? Am I worrying about nothing? Any other gamers out there with the same tv? Is it just a case of common sense, i.e. don't leave a game paused for hours? Are there simple precautions I can take? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    take it out of dynamic mode and run low contrast and brightness for first 200 or so hours.... then just be sensible and flick off from game to TV or similar after an hour for 10 minutes while you make tea, go to loo etc......
    Gives your eyes and hands a rest too

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Spot on advice from Hornydragon, regards, yt

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    No problems with my PS2 and my Viera. Follow Horny_D's advice and you should be fine, especially the bit about not using dynamic mode. Panny plasmas tend to be more resistant to screen burn than most. So long as you don't have a static image (or parts of image) on for hours on ends you should be okay.

S.

5. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had my Viera for 5 months and am constantly using it for xbox games and i've had no problems even when it had been playing for hours with driving games which tend to have the speedo in place for ages, i guess they just make them more tolerant these days anyway happy viewing and good choice as mine gets older the picture gets better and better.

6. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm more worried about burn in caused by tv channel logos in the top corner. It's quite easy to have a tV on for more than an hour. Is this less of an issue than games consoles?

7. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone with any feedback on panasonic 7 gen panels? Supposedly the same burn-in resistance as CRTs which means you almost won't have to worry at all about burn-ins. But then again it still warns of burnins in the manual, don't see that with CRT sets... hmmm

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Take delivery of my PW7 friday,should i lay of the x-box and PS2 for the first 200 hours.Just returned my hitachi back to JL after 13 months,on the last day i noticed mickey mouses head in the bottom left hand corner.The kids will be banned froom watching disney channel now.

9. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have done the following except for taking my Viera out of Dynamic mode whats the difference
    oh yes i also run a PS2 and an Xbox and so far not a problem with burn in

10. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    plasmas get worse over time not better as the picture fades and fades with time on all plasmas not just certain makes!! They still have not got round this.But burn in is less of an issue these days but you still have to be carefull with them!!

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Mr. Welsh, you are not very well informed. The tendency to burn in does reduce over time, the picture indeed fades away, but over 30-40 000 hours, which is way longer than a CRT TV. With Panasonic, they are pretty much idiot proof these days, you'd have to be moronic to damage it as long as you have followed the experienced advice given by H-D above. I generally set the contrast and brightness at about -10 on 1st install, then after a couple of weeks or so, depending on use, run a setup disc, even something as basic as the THX optimiser, to get the right kind of settings. Out of te box, many screens, particularly Hitachi and Panasonic, are set to positively eye-searing levels, way more than you will need, in fact most screens end up very close to the zero levels when properly calibrated.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Set it cinema mode....... for first week or 4 then calibrate.......
    Just take it out of Dynamic....

13. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to follow the recommendations here and in other places but find the picture unwatchable at such low levels. The dark areas of the picture just lose definition, and anything dimmer than bright sunlit scenes have no contrast range at all. Right now I have my PW6 set to Cinema with contrast and brigtness at 0. Still a little dark for me. Feeding Telewest through JS Scart>RGB. My Denon DVD player through component looks fantastic at the same levels though, so I'll probably just crank the PC input up a bit in a couple of months.

With regard to burn in, I've had my PW6 for about a month now and spend a lot of time on the xbox. No problems so far. In fact we played Burnout 3 for about 5 hours solid on Saturday with no ill effects. (other than jumping in my car to get take-away and having to resist pulling a Boost-Shunt on the other drivers) :eek: I think channel logos are less likely to burn as they are generally semi-transparent these days. Except the shower of B*stards at Sky for changing the Sky 1 logo to a coloured one. Don't watch Bravo though, not because of the bright orange logo but because it's crap! :laugh:

14. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i would like to say it is you who is not very well informed look at any professional review inwhich there are many!!!!!!And look at what they say about them and for saying that they last 30-40 thousand hours i doubt that very much as all manufactor suggested hours are over stated!!!!alot of money IMO for something that is PROVEN to fade with time they say if you were to buy two at the same time then in 2 yrs time put them side by side you would notice a big difference!!!! and it is CNET that says this not me so dont call me not informed who are you to say anyways lol

15. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    CRT's fade with time too :rolleyes:

*EDIT* and I'm pretty sure Panasonic quote 60,000 hours as the time it takes their 6th gen PDP's to fade from initial brightness levels to half that.

S.

16. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    well IMO as everyone has there own in this area plasmas are still not there and i should not really be saying this as i almost bought one myself(upsets people who have already bought one) but after hours and hours of research and alot of it personal admitted i found that plasma is still not quite there yet very expensive warranty for one thing(extended warranty price can say alot about a product).they do however have a nice picture and look cool :smashin:

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    After your hours and hours of research you are obviously 1 up on me then. I spend only an hour or so a day researching plasmas. Rest of the time is spent specifying, then installing and making them work, problem sovling etc. This I have done for 5 years now. We get boys like you posting here once in a while, kind of 'spoilers' really, 'you are all fools for buying plasma' type lines. It's not that helpful really. And I can guess what goes through your mind at this point, 'vested interest'? Hardly, like Hornydragon I hardly ever sell to forum members, just help them when they've paid less money to someone else. It increases the general knowlege pool, and forms part of my research, I learn things, hear which models cause problems etc. There are a number of others in a similar position, we bounce our own problems off each other having met here.

18. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i never once said DO NOT buy one and am not a spoiler as you are calling me i am just saying that you can install as many as you want or have your own opinion but you are not being intirely truthful with yourself if you say that the issues i have mentioned are not issues and as for buying a plasma i have one a 37 inch hitachi and i have just bought a DLP for the 50inch size alone really all the technology out there right now have there merits and draw back which one works for you is a personal thing i am afraid i was just stated some of the TRUE draw backs of plasma to say they do not exist is FALSE (they may not be as bad as some people make out....i can point you to some good pros and cons reviews on plasma as a technology if you so wish......
    have a good day

19. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am certainly no expert in this field (although there are many people on this forum who are) but it is is my understanding that one of the main reasons that plasma is used as a display device in shopping centers, demonstrations etc. is because they have such a long life.

I certainly havn't heard any experts on this site saying that plasma life is a problem. I have found this only to be one of the many rumours that have been spread about plasma.

The experts also always suggest to run a plasma at a lower contrast setting at first to reduce the risk of screen burn. These are people who have years of experience with plasma screen burn and I can see no reason why they would all make it up. I certainly aim to follow there advice.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    £279 for extra 3 years on a 42" is not expensive about 10% of most plasma retail price......

21. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would have said that the reasons plasma is used in shopping centers, etc. are:

1) Size of display
    2) Viewing angle
    3) Brightness
    4) Physical size
    5) Weight
    6) Perception of quality / status

Compare that to the other display types:

1) Projector - no good in a bright environment
    2) LCD - expensive, poor viewing angles, lack of brightnes?
    3) CRT - too big, can't hang a large display

Life of the display is not such an important issue. Even so, 30000 hours gets you over 3 years of continual, uninterrupted use.

Because 3 years is quite a long time - and in 'normal' use, particularly domestic use - you would be getting at least twice that. Some of the new plasmas can double that again.

22. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did say that life was only one of the reasons. I suppose that it may not be as important an issue these days as some of the others you have mentioned. However I don't think that thse places would use a display that had a much shorter life than everything else.

Then again, I might have been totally misinformed.

My point exactly. Plasma life is not a problem.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    They dont give a crap they lease the displays and if it packs up after a week it just gets swapped out........ They leasing companies do give hoot and they calculate cost over life and get rental.....

24. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes you did say only one. But personally I don't think it makes *any* difference. Does it really matter if they swap the displays out every couple of years, just as long as they budget for that?

On the other hand, what's the point of installing a display that is too small for anyone to see? Or where the viewing angle only allows a few people to see? Do you have the space for a 36" CRT? Can you mount it high up?

For most of the applications you state, plasma is the only practical choice. Yes, life span can be a factor - but not in whether the lifespan is sufficient, but whether the budget is there to replace them as necessary. For any reasonably large commercial concern, the cost of plasmas - even replacing them on an annual basis if necessary - is pretty damn small compared to the benefits they bring.

25. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that a company would look at whether or not their life span would be sufficient to cover the costs paid for them. I think it would be slightly naive to say that money would not be factor in any decision a company would make. As hornydragon says though, it is the leasing company who would have this worry.

My point was (even if it was not very well made) that I don't think the life span of plasma should be of a worry to anyone who wants to buy one.
    It was not my intention to digress to this topic.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I take you have never sat for an hour under a 33" 4:3 CRT monitor hanging from the ceiling then!!!!!!!

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sound frightening to me! I have a permanently damaged elbow after a mishap with a 36" CRT and a 4 floor town house.

28. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that an av-sales price or kinda an average of what the makers of the panel charge?

Curry's et al charge about £500 for an extra 3 years (that does include accidental damage though). Would I be better off just ringing Panasonic say and buying their extended warranty if I bought a panny plasma for instance?

29. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its the AV Sales price but you don't need to have bought your plasma from them and it's supposed to be a great service.

30. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent.
    Cheers for that.

Just need to check if a similair thing can be done with the Richer Sound warranties as they give you your money back if you don't use the warranty by the end of the warranty period.