The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy - Extended Editions Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 26th November 2011.
The late Swedish novelist Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Series is something of a global publishing phenomenon – released in dozens of countries across the globe, and selling around thirty million copies in the process. Adapted into an extended TV mini-series with a theatrically released ‘pilot’, the first story, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, was so popular, and so well received, that they edited the remaining four episodes into two further movies designed for theatrical release. Unfortunately, whilst Dragon Tattoo remained a compelling, excellent mystery thriller, its sequels were more disjointed and increasingly lacklustre. Now the whole series has finally been released as it was originally intended to be seen: in a 6-part extended mini-series of 93-minute episodes; the considerably longer runtime (we get about 2 hours of new footage) allowing for a more respectful adaptation of the original source novels, and finally doing justice to them.

On Region B-locked UK Blu-ray we get a decent enough release, sporting solid video and good audio, and a hefty documentary that somewhat makes up for the lightweight supporting extras. To those who enjoyed Dragon Tattoo on its original release, who loved Noomi Rapace’s visceral take on the tough lead heroine, Lisbeth Salander, and who were marginally disappointed by the theatrical sequels – this is what you have been waiting for. Honestly, after you’ve seen Rapace’s Lisbeth, and seen the original Swedish TV series in its original extended format, you will likely find it hard to know what, if anything, Hollywood is going to be able to bring to the table with their own adaptation due out over Christmas. Highly recommended viewing.

Read the full review...

Excellent review Cas that mirrors my thoughts exactly :)

Not got around to watching them yet in their extended versions but really looking forward to them now.

I keep seeing rumours on the net that David Fincher is pushing for a 3hr Theatrical release of his version of Dragon Tattoo!

Excellent review Cas that mirrors my thoughts exactly :)

Not got around to watching them yet in their extended versions but really looking forward to them now.

I keep seeing rumours on the net that David Fincher is pushing for a 3hr Theatrical release of his version of Dragon Tattoo!

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

This is definitely the version they should have released first time around! Enjoy! :smashin:

Interesting news about a 3hr Fincher version - I'd be impressed if he got that released theatrically!

Cheers, Cas

Great review,seem the one to watch,going on my to buy list :)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Indeed it's defo the one to buy, and if you haven't yet watched the individual theatrical movie releases then you've done yourself a favour by waiting to see the full versions in their original format. Enjoy!

Cheers, Cas

Fincher failed theatrically as the new film is 2.32 but I'll bet we'll get the 3hr+ when it's released on BR :)

Fincher failed theatrically as the new film is 2.32 but I'll bet we'll get the 3hr+ when it's released on BR :)

It's a shame because then we'll no doubt be subject to double-dips, or, at best, still have to wait til home format to see it in the best possible way (even if I still think it'll be hard to top the Swedish original), but I can't say I'm surprised at all by this news. They clearly want it to be successful and don't feel that a 3hr movie can achieve that (whether or not that's correct is a different matter entirely!).

Thanks for keeping us posted,

Cas

Thanks for another great, comprehensive review.

I watched the first two movies but did not like the second one as much. I remember reading your reviews of the individual releases and thinking that I should really wait until the extended releases and them give the series another chance. Looks like I was right!

Does this set contain the theatrical versions? I already own the theatrical and would sell them to buy this extended set if they're included.

Does this set contain the theatrical versions? I already own the theatrical and would sell them to buy this extended set if they're included.

No, this set is just the original versions.

The theatrical versions are not just shorter cuts, they are also edited in a very different way, with scenes in a different order, and, in the case of Dragon Tattoo, with a completely different aspect ratio even.

I can't impress upon you how much more superior these original TV versions are. There really is no need to hold on to the theatrical cuts once you buy this set. The sequels were never intended for theatrical release and therefore those films really are quite flawed 'edits' of material that was never intended to be viewed in such a way.

Buy the full extended set, watch it, and if you really think the theatrical cuts have a place in your collection then you can always hold on to them!

Cheers, Cas

No, this set is just the original versions.

The theatrical versions are not just shorter cuts, they are also edited in a very different way, with scenes in a different order, and, in the case of Dragon Tattoo, with a completely different aspect ratio even.

I can't impress upon you how much more superior these original TV versions are. There really is no need to hold on to the theatrical cuts once you buy this set. The sequels were never intended for theatrical release and therefore those films really are quite flawed 'edits' of material that was never intended to be viewed in such a way.

Buy the full extended set, watch it, and if you really think the theatrical cuts have a place in your collection then you can always hold on to them!

Cheers, Cas

Thanks for that! The only reason I can really see myself holding onto the theatrical cuts discs is a) wanting to see the as-shown-at-cinema version and b) I'm a bit of a hoarder and it'd take a lot for me to sell something I don't have two of (e.g. if these extended versions had contained the theatrical cuts)

Thanks for that! The only reason I can really see myself holding onto the theatrical cuts discs is a) wanting to see the as-shown-at-cinema version and b) I'm a bit of a hoarder and it'd take a lot for me to sell something I don't have two of (e.g. if these extended versions had contained the theatrical cuts)

I can totally sympathise - I keep all my old discs, unless they have been made completely obsolete by a subsequent upgrade. Dragon Tattoo Trilogy is a different animal though, it really was never intended to be shown at the cinema, so the film versions are vastly inferior to the original TV format. It would have made more sense to even release six 90-minute films theatrically than edit Played with Fire and Kicked the Hornet's Nest so detrimentally. I'm sure once you see them you'll change your mind about keeping the cinema versions - it's not like we're talking about two different director-approved versions here, the only director-intended way to see Played with Fire and Kicked the Hornet's Nest is in this package.

What you need is a good post-Christmas price drop to seal the deal!

Cheers, Cas

Excellent review! Made me buy this just before Crimbo, but I've put off watching till now because Xmas is depressing enough without "quality dark drama" to make it worse ;)

Excellent review! Made me buy this just before Crimbo, but I've put off watching till now because Xmas is depressing enough without "quality dark drama" to make it worse ;)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the review. Had you seen the movies before? Did you find that the 'full' editions were better?

Yup, it seems like a perfect anti-Christmas production (no wonder they released the remake this month!)

Cheers, Cas

Haven't seen the movies, nor read the books. It was purely on the strength of your review, and the general buzz about these editions that made me purchase them :)

Haven't seen the movies, nor read the books. It was purely on the strength of your review, and the general buzz about these editions that made me purchase them :)

Well that's just about the best praise a reviewer could get, thanks! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom