The Doors: The Final Cut - Collector's Edition 4K UHD

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Zavvi

Standard Edition: Amazon.co.uk - HMV

Release date: 22/07/2019 (Standard: 18/10/2021)

TD_TFC.jpg

STUDIOCANAL presents a stunning new 4K restoration – THE DOORS: THE FINAL CUT- supervised by Oliver Stone and brought to life with Dolby Atmos, that will take audiences back in time, into the world and sound of the psychedelic 60s.

"This brand new 4K restoration of THE DOORS in Dolby Atmos will provide far greater overall clarity and dimension for the audience. During the many concert sequences, the sound now fills the auditorium above the audience, behind it, and all points in between. I wanted the film to be as immersive as possible to a real 60s Doors experience" said director Oliver Stone. "Additionally, I've made one cut of 3 minutes to a scene I thought was superfluous to the ending, which helps close out the film in a more powerful way."

Remastered from the original negative that was scanned in 4K 16-bit on Arriscan at EFILM US, the restoration was managed by Imagine Ritrovata in Italy with the close support of Oliver Stone who oversaw the colour grading. The Dolby Atmos mix was created at Formosa Group under the supervision of Dolby and of the original sound editors of the film: Mr Wylie Stateman and Mr Lon Bender.

Jean-Pierre Boiget, head of Distribution Services at Studiocanal, adds: "We are delighted to have collaborated closely with Mr Oliver Stone on this fantastic restoration: his personal involvement at each step of the process was crucial to give the audience the best technical and creative output as possible. The extraordinary technologies of our times will allow to audience to live, like never before, an awesome experience of Oliver Stone's legendary film and of THE DOORS' mythic music."

Collector's Edition (4K BLU-RAY + 2 BLU-RAY and When You're Strange BLU-RAY)

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY:
  • The Doors – The Final Cut – 138'
  • The Doors – The original theatrical version – 140'
  • Oliver Stone Audio Commentary
  • New extra: Interview with Oliver Stone – 35'
  • New extra: Interview with Lon Bender, mixer for new Dolby Atmos mix – 10'
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY:
DISC THREE - BLU-RAY:
  • Deleted scenes – introduced by O. Stone and then included in full with the script section as Chapter heading – 44'
  • "Jim Morrison: A Poet in Paris" – a documentary in French looking at the last few months of Jim Morrison's life in Paris, and his death – 53'
  • "The Road to Excess" – a documentary looking at how the movie came to be made, including interviews with the real-life Doors and main characters (except Ray Manzarek) – 39'
  • "The Doors in LA" – a documentary looking at the formation and rise of THE DOORS in LA in second of half of the 1960s with the Vietnam War and hippy culture as their backdrop 19'30"
  • EPK – includes behind the scenes featurette, profiles, music video, original trailer – 16'51"
DISC FOUR – BLU-RAY: When You're Strange
  • Feature length The Doors documentary narrated by Johnny Depp

Standard Edition:
TD_TFC (standard_edition).jpg

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY:
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY:
DISC THREE - BLU-RAY:
  • Deleted scenes – introduced by O. Stone and then included in full with the script section as Chapter heading – 44'
  • "Jim Morrison: A Poet in Paris" – a documentary in French looking at the last few months of Jim Morrison's life in Paris, and his death – 53'
  • "The Road to Excess" – a documentary looking at how the movie came to be made, including interviews with the real-life Doors and main characters (except Ray Manzarek) – 39'
  • "The Doors in LA" – a documentary looking at the formation and rise of THE DOORS in LA in second of half of the 1960s with the Vietnam War and hippy culture as their backdrop 19'30"
  • EPK – includes behind the scenes featurette, profiles, music video, original trailer – 16'51"

Steelbook option, thread: The Doors: The Final Cut (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
About time we had a proper release of this, the blu ray release was a monumentally digitally tinkered-with mess, so much so that I turned it off after 2 minutes.

qQpylAl.jpg

Very naughty boy

Bohemian Rhapsody, John Elton: The Movie -nah. I don't like bio pics but The Doors is the exception. I wonder if The Blues Brothers counts too? :D

I reckon most musicians have perfectly good documentaries made about them (and there's been a lot of new The Doors stuff since 1991 too to be fair) so when Stone's film came out it felt like a bit of an insight into the guy.

Won't be watching the redo I like the idea of producers and editors' input or we'd end up with boring, love-festing and overly long cuts with most directors*.

*the lawyers for Ridley Scott have asked M2N to point out all his cuts and recuts are works of art. M2N are please to confirm this -the Editor.

been reading more about this it has a new dolby atmos mix for those with the equipment to access it. a couple of final cuts coming...apocalypse now is the other notable one...ray mazarek signed up and authorised this movie initially, then i assume as the dailies were coming in, he turned on stone and tried to get it halted. I've watched lots of doors stuff, and stones version of Morrison seems very accurate (even if some artistic license is present). maybe he didn't want to accept the truth of Morrison's self destructive nature as part of the doors legacy but both go hand in hand... I've signed up to studio canal on twitter for notification of release...this is a biggie for me...my second favourite group of all time..and before you ask..
the Beatles are at no 1..who Jim hated ha ha

just noticed when your strange doc is on there..yesss...brilliant documentary...will sell my copy now its on this

looked at the zavvi listings for this film

the regular 4k version says 4 disks/the steelbook says 3 then i popped onto amazon usa their listing says 2 disks ???

HMV says 4 -

obviously i want the version that is listed in the press release at the top of the page...

Last edited:
looked at the zavvi listings for this film

the regular 4k version says 4 disks/the steelbook says 3 then i popped onto amazon usa their listing says 2 disks ???

HMV says 4 -

obviously i want the version that is listed in the press release at the top of the page...

The UK release is exactly as it says in the OP/artwork, 4 discs. The steelbook gets 3 as it doesn't include the "When You're Strange" blu-ray.

Guys, WowHD have the US version for £14.39 here

Not bad with all the Brexit™ tax prices at the moment and it'll do me nicely.

Extras seem to be the same as the UK so not sure what's happening there with disc count but if the brilliant documentary When You're Strange is missing it matters not a jot as I have the Blu-ray.

LFrAnyF.jpg

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! :D

LFrAnyF.jpg

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! :D
Give us a review my good man! Do you have the 4 disk set?

I don't have it yet I'm waiting to see what the difference is with the UK/USA -there's a review of the US release here

Looks very promising. I see there's a Blu-ray with a 2008 transfer -that needs removing to get the price down. Prices seem to be getting a bit silly lately especially with the fall of the Pound.

I don't have it yet I'm waiting to see what the difference is with the UK/USA -there's a review of the US release here

Looks very promising. I see there's a Blu-ray with a 2008 transfer -that needs removing to get the price down. Prices seem to be getting a bit silly lately especially with the fall of the Pound.
It all sounds very good, I have the UK 4 disk, so should be with me Monday from prime..I note the Blu-ray in the USA set is region locked. And they've put both versions on the main disk rather than split them. Plus no documentary "when your strange" which I love

Think i'l listen to my Dvd A- doors perception boxset to keep me going til Monday.

Last edited:
Mines just turned up 4 disks. nice embossed slipcase

IMG_20190722_184147.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_191948.jpg
    IMG_20190722_191948.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back