The Doors: The Final Cut - Collector's Edition 4K UHD

IGC

Back cover picture would be great :)

So looks like The UK release has Jim Morrison: An American Poet in Paris (in Canadian language) which I think I've seen (it's on YouTube) but it'll be nice to get that if it's top notch quality. I already have When You’re Strange.

UK:
DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY
The Doors – The Final Cut – 138'
The Doors – The original theatrical version – 140'
Oliver Stone Audio Commentary
New extra: Interview with Oliver Stone – 35'
New extra: Interview with Lon Bender, mixer for new Dolby Atmos mix – 10'

DISC TWO - BLU-RAY
The Doors – The Final Cut – 138'
The Doors – The original theatrical version – 140'
Oliver Stone Audio Commentary
New extra: Interview with Oliver Stone – 35'
New extra: Interview with Lon Bender, mixer for new Dolby Atmos mix – 10'

DISC THREE - BLU-RAY
Deleted scenes – introduced by O. Stone and then included in full with the script section as Chapter heading – 44'
"Jim Morrison: A Poet in Paris" – a documentary in French looking at the last few months of Jim Morrison's life in Paris, and his death – 53'
"The Road to Excess" – a documentary looking at how the movie came to be made, including interviews with the real-life Doors and main characters (except Ray Manzarek) – 39'
"The Doors in LA" – a documentary looking at the formation and rise of THE DOORS in LA in second of half of the 1960s with the Vietnam War and hippy culture as their backdrop 19'30"
EPK – includes behind the scenes featurette, profiles, music video, original trailer – 16'51"

DISC FOUR – BLU-RAY When You're Strange

---------------------------------------------------------

USA:
DISC ONE (Blu-ray 4K)
* The Film - The Final Cut
* The Film - Theatrical Cut
Audio commentary by director Oliver Stone (theatrical cut)
Interview with Oliver Stone (31:09)
Interview with Lon Bender (17:38)

DISC TWO (Blu-ray)
* The Film
* The Film - The Final Cut
* The Film - Theatrical Cut
Audio commentary by director Oliver Stone (theatrical cut)
"The Doors in L.A." featurette (19:37)
"The Road to Excess" documentary (38:42)
"Original Featurette" 1991 Making-Of (6:19)
Deleted scenes with introduction by Oliver Stone (43:09)
Theatrical trailer (1:17)
TV spots reel (2:58)

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Ok I have watched some aspects of the movie on an ISF calibrated Panasonic DX902...I will leave a more comprehensive review asap...overall the picture is definitely step up from the Blu-ray..although to me some of the early scenes look oversaturated with orange with the skin tones, look at when Jim is relaying, the lyrics to moonlight drive to ray on the beach or when, ray sends the group out for a walk, when he is working out the intro to light my fire..even if I except they are in the summer of love in California and everyone is tanned!!!

Deffo has the slightly defused and soft focus in some scenes intentional but retains the detail, were it could become just soft on the bluray ..but overall looks superior to the bluray. There is a doc on how they created the new near field Atmos mix especially for home cinema, which is comprehensive, alas I'm not Atmos enabled ( yet) to benefit from this

great update from oliver stone about approvals , casting etc.

great psychedelic menus screaming out for sound, but its totally silent (opportunity missed) - gives you the option of theatrical or directors cut...

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
spoke to Cas on the Alita review thread, he said the official forums review of the doors will be up soon!

Last edited:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

IGC

Proper pictures of the US release:
35Kc87y.jpg

TY2dnz1.jpg

UK back cover:
PC9ysf4.jpg

So, it looks like both UK & US editions are missing the Optimum 20th anniversary Blu-ray's Back to The Roots documentary which I still have (I added the disc to my old US release).

Back to the Roots (55:53) is a documentary from Studio Canal, featuring Oliver Stone, Kyle MacLachlan and others (no further cast members, however) including The Stranglers’ Jean-Jacques Burnel, photographer and close friend of Morrison’s Frank Lisciandro, journalist and Deviants founder Mick Farren and many more. Mixed in with clips from the film, they all talk about working and their experiences with Jim Morrison and the band.
-DVDFever

6bgAedY.jpg

I'll be getting the US UHD then as Jim Morrison: A Poet in Paris is on both my old Blu-rays and it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

dmk1198

Got the free apple upgrade
Really enjoyed watching it again
Great Atmos mix but not much bass on stream,great pic

IGC

Well, couldn't wait for the US disc so went for the Steelbook @ CeX:

tGEgeZ8.jpg

No disc 4 (When You're Strange) which is no biggie as I have it already (my US disc has an interview with Jim's father too) and now I can just make a UHD Amaray with all my spare discs.

Had a quick look at the picture and it looks fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom