1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dog's Kahunas - Panasonic Tx32lxd500

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Woodywizz, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Had my new system installed yesterday - Panny LXD500, Denon 3910 and 3805, Mordaunt Short Genies. Unlike my wife, the system blew me away. I've read a lot on these forums recently about the Panasonic and so was half excited/half nervous about the PQ - now I'm no expert by any means but - to me - the picture, on both DVDs and thro' Sky - is tremendous. Previously I had a Panasonic TX32PD30 - a very very good CRT, and the picture on that was very good - the lcd Panasonic is beyond my expectations and more. The dvds thro' the HDMI connection are exceptional and football on Sky is clear as a bell. I've been waking up in the night with cold sweats and terms like "ghosting", "oily water effect", etc...running thro my mind. At the end of the day, each to their own, but if you think your PQ is - well, quality - then I suppose that is all that matters. If you're looking for a 32" LCD - which looks a lot bigger in my lounge than it did in the shop( www.soundandvisiononline.com) then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Panasonic - its the dogs 'nads. :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. tony 69

tony 69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you find to be the best pic settings? :)

3. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    what quality cables are you using?

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    This is a totally pointless post, but I have to release my frustration

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why oh why dont Panasonic sell a 37" version of this TV :mad:

5. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    In reply:

* As of yet I don't really know the best picture settings; I've not really had chance to tinker with them yet. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste - I've taken "dynamic" off and replaced with "normal". I've taken sharpness right down and messed about a bit with colour and brightness. If you have an ideal setting then please post back.

* The cables I'm using, I think, are - Profigold HDMI connector, cost about £60; and a QED scart - similar sort of price. As I have said before I am no expert but the custom installer guy said that the cables were more than adequate for the job and were a lot better than what he had on his van. Speaker cables are QED micro, and the amp is connected to the dvd player with a Denon Link cable (Denon 3)

Matt :smashin:

6. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    what is the automatic widescreen mode like?

7. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm glad you're happy with the set woodywizz. I had one for a few days and slightly prefered the Hitachi Picture but after my Hitachi buzzed me into submission I'm getting the Panasonic back as I found it just let me enjoy what was on rather than noticing the set itself (if that makes sense).

Daz

8. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Daz, what would you suggest are the optimum picture settings??

Matt

9. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    what is the height and width of the screen? also what is the size of the 4:3 screen?

thanks
    ryan

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I notice you say that it looks much larger in your lounge than it did in the shop. I also notice that you have replaced a 32" CRT with a 32" LCD. Now I am in the same position as scrapbook - I have a 28" Panasonic CRT and both the wife and I agree (now that's a first) that a 32" LCD will just not be a big enough jump in size, therefore I was very interested to hear your comment on size. I have looked at a 26" LCD sat alongside a 32" LCD many times in Comet Currys etc. (26" LCD is the same screen size as a 28" CRT) and yet the size jump never looks that significant to us. Just last night we were watching the Bourne Supremacy on Sky Movies and we both remarked how good this would have looked on a much larger t.v. As I too would have liked to buy Panasonic I also wish they made a 37" model.

11. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Because they and Pioneer have spent a fortune on plasma technology, which Samsung, Sony, LG, Benq, and Philips say is now "old hat".

None of them will produce any more plasmas as LCD is the way forward.

What would you do, if you were Matsush*ta, to persuade people to buy your plasmas? Not make LCDs but make plasmas from 37" upwards?

There's a clue.

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not altogether correct as JVC, sister company to Panasonic and wholly owned by Matush*ta manufacture a 37" model. Panasonic, Toshiba, and Hitachi have also entered into an alliance and have nearly completed a brand new facility in Japan to jointly manufacture and produce LCD panels which is due to come on line in early 2006. These three companies will then be producing panels of all sizes and in significant numbers. Panasonic will then no longer need to rely on Sharp to produce LCD panels for them.

13. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    It is probably more to do with manufacturing costs rather than the technology being "old hat", the fact none of them could make a good plasma between them and Panasonic's dominance in that sector :D

14. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Woodywizz,

That is one hell of a system you have just acquired. Must be worth you posting us all a picture of those rather splendid pieces of electronics in their fully functioning glory !! :smashin:

15. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice setup - I have the same Denon components + the LCD, however I must say that my PIO Plasma beats the LCD hands down! (I'm not having a go!)

I was hoping that my panny would be the way forward (& yes also very angry :mad: they don't do a 37") but a side by side test with my Pio resulted in the plasma coming out on top viewing both Sky & DVD. Now I must admit that I have had the Plasma ISF calibrated but this cannot be the complete reason?

Any other views??

Conor.

16. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Faust, I have replaced a 28" Pany CRT 4:3 with a Pany 32" LCD and for me at least it is fine. The height of the picture is identical i.e. 16" so the width of the screen is wider in proportion. I wasn't looking for a "bigger" picture just a new screen so it is big enough for me. To be honest the 37" plasma would have been too big. Rich...

17. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    JonandJen, Thanks for the comments - it is a very nice system. There is a picture on another thread but I'll try and attach it to this one. Here goes :

Sorry, that didn't work - have a look at the thread -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219868&page=5&pp=15

I posted the picture on the 23/09.

Connor, again thanks for the comments - it was bit nip and tuck as to whether I bought the new Pioneer plasma - the 436XDE. I agree that the pq is phenomenal on both the above and the 435XDE, but - as my lounge is quite small - the 43" would have looked way too big so I decided to stick with 32". For that size I think I've made a good choice.

Faust. Have a look at the picture of my set up on the the link above. It really was surprising as to how big the tv looks. After buying the Panasonic I used to go down to the local John Lewis to see it and really did think that I had made the wrong choice - re size. However, once in situ, in a normal living environment, I knew I had made the right choice. Previously I had upgraded from a 28" CRT to a 32" CRT and that made a difference. Even though I have now stayed with the same size, the system still does look bigger (screen wise). The viewing area does seem so much bigger. If you want to go lcd Faust then go with the Panny; if you really do want the 42" then there are some very good Panny 42" for a couple of grand and under.

Regards

Matt

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That looks very nice - daren't show the wife though as I notice you have got a Biorb in shot. She keeps pestering me for one of these and to be honest I cannot be bothered. Not sure of your lounge size, however, ours is approx 16x15 so we could probably accommodate the 37" Panny Plasma or a 37" LCD.

19. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Woodywizz,

Thanks for the link. Yep, the system really does look superb.

Time for me to get the 'plastic' out me thinks!!

Regards,

jonandjen