The Dish

Zone

Reaction score
Now I'm sure a lot of folk here are aware of this little gem, one which I have had on my "one to see" list for a while now after receiving a few friendly recommendations.:)

Anyway Santa came through for me :D and I've just finished watching it for the first time...

Simply put the story revolves around the trials and tribulations of a group of scientists lead by Sam Neil and who are involved in the running of the largest radio telescope in the southern hemisphere in the small Australian town of "Parkes" and which is to relay the television pictures from the first moon landing and transmit them around the world!

What can I say about it?
Well.....
There's not a special effects shot in sight, nothing that could be called an action sequence and not a single baddie anywhere :confused:

And all that in itself is a breath of fresh air :)

What you do get though is great characterization, great warmth and humour all mixed up with a smattering of excellent contemporary music.

Sam Neil is superb as are the rest of the cast, many of whom I have never heard of but they all perform superbly.

All in all a superb movie.

:)

I watched it on sky a while ago, thought it was pretty good. But was a little dissapointed as id heard it was really good.

Geezer
It depends on what you mean by "really good"???:confused:
Every one to their own opinion, you enjoyed it though, I think of it being slightly better ;)

In all honesty I've been looking at the imdb site and it suprises me the films in the 100 to 200 bracket that IMO should be higher up, Gladiator as one prime example but there's nowt stranger than folk :D

Yeah sorry what i said didnt make too much sense, i had just read a lot of flattering reviews about it. And i was expecting more than i got. Actually i thought it was pretty average.

The Dish was one of teh few times I've actually taken a blind bit of notice of advertising. And I'm so glad I did. It's a superb film which greatly tickled me. It has its tense moments and it has an awful lot of lightheartedness.

Well worht a watch, but I can see why some people may not find it as good as I did.

Originally posted by James45
I've been waiting to see this for ages... so come on then what region do I get?

James
I was bought the R2 version which has a nice clean anamorphic picture, the sound for what it is (mainly dialogue with the odd cracking music track) is clear and when something does happen, such as when the wind is growing stronger and you hear the sounds of the Dish protesting these are all quite sublime :)

Don't think you'll go wrong with any region to be honest and play have the r2 for sale at £7.99 :)
R1 slightly dearer at £11.99 but you'll probably get it cheaper elsewhere ;)

Been out in R4 since mid 2001

If you get a chance, check out some other great Aussie movies,
like Lantana & Rabbit-Proof fence. Both are Excellent.

A superb film with a nice lot of extras on it too. For someone with a big interest in the moon landings there is loads of archive footage included on the disc that is a good watch.

Originally posted by Zone
Don't think you'll go wrong with any region to be honest and play have the r2 for sale at £7.99 :)
R1 slightly dearer at £11.99 but you'll probably get it cheaper elsewhere ;)

The R2 is back up to £14.99. Doh

any ideas where to get a chepie from? anybody got one going cheap?

Originally posted by alle v
...A rare occasion where the r2 beats r1...and by someway apparently :)
in fact UKR2 totally crushes R1 in this case.
Well worth the 15quid.
as for the film: absolutely brilliant and heartwarming, who would have thought that a dish in the middle of a sheep pad could be that interesting.

Totally agree with the positive comments,this is one of those classic films - no big budget/effects/etc....... that really works,I have another of these type films that I must get round to watching - `The straight story` this has been on my `must get` list for ages,after reading all the positive reviews,will give it a spin tomorrow morning.

Spooky, i was gonna mention Straight Story too, another one of those heartwarming films. It really goes to show that a good plot goes far further than a bunch of special effects stuck together.

The Dish, I was happy to buy it for the extras. Theres a bit showing how far the cameras could track the launch back them. But the Americans didnt want the Russians knowing the capabilities of their lenses, so we used to see the grainy images up until about a minute after launch.

Superb film, same goes for the Straight story, they remind me of reading a book under the shade of a tree on a summers day.

Originally posted by karkus30
they remind me of reading a book under the shade of a tree on a summers day.

:D

Originally posted by graham.myers
The R2 is back up to £14.99. Doh

any ideas where to get a chepie from? anybody got one going cheap?

WHS currently £9.99 :)

just finished watching the dish, fantastic film, real feel good factor and very funny in places. i started panicking when things went wrong!:D

I was reminded by this thread to get this DVD and we watched it (the region 1 version) today.
Enjoyed the film but have to comment on the exceptional picture quality. Almost no edge enhancement, nice and sharp and no encoding artefacts. Very good. MILES better than Reign Of Fire which we watched yesterday. Awful edge enhancement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom