The dilemma of how to improve the sound from the stream service

montenegrino

Novice Member
Reaction score
I listen to music (Qobuz and Tydal with premium accounts) via the Marantz NR1504 receiver on Q Acoustics 3020 speakers. There are two possibilities in my head, so I decided to ask here, maybe someone had similar ideas and tried them to help me.

The first option would be to add a stereo amplifier that has the HT bypass option to pre-output the receiver, so that it pushes the front speakers, and the receiver to remain as a source of music (stream from these platforms).

Another option is to keep the receiver as an amplifier and add a streamer based on the Raspberry Pi platform. I'm primarily thinking about the AlloBoss2 player. Connect it to the analog input of the receiver (CD input,for example) and listen to music in Pure Direct mode).

In the first variant, it is obvious that the speakers would get more power, but nothing more than that, and in the second, the power that reaches them is the same, but potentially the quality of the content that comes is better (better DAC).

Which of the two can produce a better end result?

You've got a system so no rush.

If you want better sound you will need better dac, amp and speakers, maybe room eq.

Your Marantz hdmi to tv, optical to dac with volume control, to power amp with 2 switched inputs (other for Marantz pre out)

The e50 could tie in with a sub and pa5

Hummm... this is difficult, Qabuz and Tidal should have CD Quality Sound. I don't think the problem is your content source. I think it is likely the small Marantz NR1504 and the Q Acoustic 3020 Speakers. I have 3020's on my computer and they sound fine ... on my computer. But, while nice for the money, they are limited speaker.

I do not see much value in adding a separate Amp to the NR1504. Not worth it unless you are sure you will be able to continue to use the amp 5 years down the road.

I'm not sure that system is worthy of Qobuz or Tidal. Though if you want to pay, that's certainly OK. I think you would do better for the money to just accept a paid Spotify or similar account.

I don't want to speak to negatively of your system. I suspect, for the money you have in it, it is a fine system. I reviewed the entire Q Acoustic 3000 Series a while back and they impressed me, which is why I have the 3020 on my computer. I will also add that as your system stands, it is pretty well balanced. I'm a bit worried that I came off too negatively on your system, it is fine, a good match at a good price ...but ....

What you really need NOW is - MORE MONEY and lots of it.

That's how you increase the sound quality of your system. Bare in mind that just hours ago, I listened to about a £8000 system. So it is hard for me to step back down from that system, which was sublime.

Make sure all your connections are RIGHT. That in all cases the Amp(+) goes to the Speaker(+). Make sure all your cables are clean, tight, and in good repair. And that is about it, unless you want to fork out some CASH. I would compare Spotify to Tidal, and to your ears, determine if it is really worth the price difference.

If you want a good streamer cheap (sort of) then consider this one -

Amazon product ASIN B083ZR4SKR
Let me see if I can find it in the UK -

Amazon product ASIN B07KX3MHLV
There is a version of this with an amp and without, not sure which version I have hear. But, search the Brand Name and you should find a range of equipment. This was recommeded by a prominent YouTube Audio Reviewer -

HIFI SOUND for CHEAP - Best Affordable Amplifier Arylic A50 Integrated

Keep in mind they are reviewing the AMP version, I checked the link I provided above is the Bluetooth/Network Streaming version.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative. Can you give us a sense of how much you are willing to spend at this point in time?

Steve/bluewizard

Worth adding that the benefit of adding a stereo amp to an avr system is that you run the stereo sources through the stereo amp to remove the AVR totally from the sound stream therefore if you are using the AVR to stream and planning on still using that as your source you are in effect running the digital data through two preamps which can't be good. Addign a separate streamer to the stereo amp would be the right move and therefore the only thing common between your avr and stereo systems would be the front speakers. Also the Stereo amp should have HT bypass and these tend to be the upper end of the ranges and typically start at around £500+.

I cannot remember what connections that AVR has, but I am going to assume it does have front pre-outs so adding an HT bypass amp is practical. If not, then add new AVR too and/or entirely separate music system.

About cheapest option that comes to mind to let you fully utilize qobuz and tidal (if you want qobuz hi-res and tidal MQA support) is probably a node 2i streamer + music fidelity M2si amp (as I understand it, its aux 1 input has an HT mode switch). I would also suggest replacing the speakers as well as those are simply not very capable. Their may be others that are cheaper - this pair just immediately comes to mind as a decent combo, though the amp's power ouput is definitely on the low side for pairing with a typical mid to higher end AVR, but may be fine for your AVR.

Assuming you have a sub, then that sub will only be functional with the AVR, though you may be able to rig up a dual connection to the sub if it supports it, I would not recommend this unless you know what you are doing as integrating it all can be a real pain.

Just adding an amp will not make any useful difference because those speaker will not let you notice hugely improved deep bass handling when they don't do deep bass at all and the clarity limit will still be the streamer/DAC in the AVR. Adding a streamer only (node 2i for eg) and plugging that into the AVR wont make much if any useful difference either and still at the mercy of the AVR's pre-amp and amp at least.

So as a minimum, expect a 1200 quid spend, and more sensible 2k as a minimum overall to replace speakers too (which in an AV context may even mean replacing the entire AV speaker system to keep a match between at least fronts and center, though QA 3050 floorstander may be an option. I would be thinking wait until a 2.5-3k budget can be made available especially with some of the better options having had massive price hikes since pre-brexit/pre-pandemic days.

Some people can get benefits doing this is stages (one bit at a time), in your case I really you need to at least do streamer and amp together as a minimum and ideally front speakers too.

Of course, if you replace the entire AV speaker system, then you may start to question using that AVR at all and soon be thinking about a better AVR too, whihc then leads to another expensive option - a hifi orientated AVR which I guess start at around 1.5k and more likely 2K upwards (Arcam, NAD etc). I have no idea of any of them can decode Tidal's MQA if that matters. What you will get however with a high end 'Hifi' AVR is really good room correction, AVR convenience and so none of the usability headaches that you can get with more primitive HT bypass amps (that lack 12V trigger input from AVR and auto HT input selection like my Yamaha A-S2100 has), so other family members wont get irritated by it.

Last edited:
Just to add my experience, I have a Denon 3600 and because I needed 11 channels of amplification added a Musical Fidelity M2si and Bluesound Node 2i. I was initially running Dali Oberon 1 speakers so close in budget to yours. All the advice is “don’t use your AVR for music”
After several months and LOTS of faffing/experimenting I would say the M2/node sounds slightly better than the AVR but not worth the extra expense. Using the AVR allows you to easily integrate a sub and use room correction that makes a much bigger difference (in my room) than the amp/streamer combo.

I then upgraded to KEF LS50 Metas and they were a huge improvement over the £300 Dalis. I then went through it all again running those with the amp/streamer or with AVR/room correction. The latter wins hands down for convenience, cost and sound. As ever your room may provide different results

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom