The Dilema....

dmrevis

Standard Member
Reaction score
Right, I was genuinely wanting to cancel my Sky subscription to buy a Twin Tuner Freeview HDD recorder to stop paying my £32 per month sky subscription as i dont feel i get full value for money from it. Now, i was offered Sky+ for £49 for the box and £60 instalation. However my subscription will rise to £42 (i.e the full package). Now i dont feel i get VFM with my current package, let alone with 12 extra movie channels.

Also, i have been told i cant transfer Sky+ recordings to my VCR which puts me off even more - i know if i get a Freeview HDD recorder i can do this, or buy an DVDR/HDD combo and do it without having to pay £42 per month.

Opinions please.

Deenesh :thumbsup:

Well, if you don't want movies etc then don't go for it.

Why would you want to subscribe to even more channels when you in the first place wanted to cancel?

You can always come back to SKY at a later stage...

Yeah i totally agree with you, but the biggest thing is losing Sky Sports. I watch cricket and WWE but its not worth £32 per month i feel.

Its kinda like breaking up with a girlfriend, sometimes you know its for the best but you just cant bring yourself to do it lol!

dmrevis said:
Right, I was genuinely wanting to cancel my Sky subscription to buy a Twin Tuner Freeview HDD recorder to stop paying my £32 per month sky subscription as i dont feel i get full value for money from it. Now, i was offered Sky+ for £49 for the box and £60 instalation. However my subscription will rise to £42 (i.e the full package). Now i dont feel i get VFM with my current package, let alone with 12 extra movie channels.

Also, i have been told i cant transfer Sky+ recordings to my VCR which puts me off even more - i know if i get a Freeview HDD recorder i can do this, or buy an DVDR/HDD combo and do it without having to pay £42 per month.

Opinions please.

Deenesh :thumbsup:

You can certainly transfer Sky+ recordings to a VCR (or DVDR). The only exception is box-office movies and pay per view events. All normal movies, sports and tv programmes can be recorded off of the Sky+ box.

However, before you rush to get the box 'cheap', consider that using Sky+ incurs an additional monthly charge. In your case, you're having to upgrade to the Movie channels to get the recording capability but if you weren't subscribing to at least 2 premium packages (the movies in your case), it's another tenner a month on top of the existing sub.

Every month.

If you consider how much money you'd save from just not having Sky, a Freeview PVR pays for itself very quickly.

In favour of Sky+, there is no easier or better way to timeshift programming from Sky. Hooking up a Sky box to a VCR or DVDR doesn't even come close.

Gav

I work in an electronics retail chain so i'm pretty up on what i can have. I'm certainly leaning towards a HDD recorder with a twin Freeview box. I'll just have to live without cricket and Wrestling. :(

dmrevis said:
I work in an electronics retail chain so i'm pretty up on what i can have. I'm certainly leaning towards a HDD recorder with a twin Freeview box. I'll just have to live without cricket and Wrestling. :(

For the later can I suggest either a Humax 9200 or a Topfield 5800 plus a good look at the PVR forum if you have not already checked it out.

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom