The Digifusion fvrt145 thread

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jpgreenwood, Mar 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just been over to Argos and bought one, spur of the moment thing after being on this forum too long. Price is great at £124.99 for a 80gb twin tuner jobbie. Initial impressions are dull to look at (I miss the clock on the video) but I didnt buy it for over complexity. Less to go wrong! The remote is a bit pathetic and badly laid out but i,ll get used to it Library and record functions seem to bring you to the same screen. It will take me a while to find out how to work the various recording capabilities but one touch record is easy and it even tells you the name of the programme in the library when searching for stuff you have saved. It also gives you scene selection (similar to a DVD) so you can jump to the scene you want to watch. No lock up,s as yet but the menu has to update at 3am so I will see if there are any glitches tomorrow after work. Argos warned me there is no refund on this item unless it,s faulty Apparently people have been buying freeview boxes for footy matches on ITV4 etc, watching the match then taking the item back for a refund. That,s their excuse and it,s a bit rubbish I think but I intend keeping it. If pvr,s are prone to glitches anyway, it,s a fair assumption that it will go back for a refund. If anyone has any useful tips on how to navigate the many functions this box has, then please feel free to let me know. I,m a man and I don't read instruction books.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The main thing is :

DO NOT record anything in other than SP mode. (You are likely to lose your recordings if you use LP or EP mode).

Leave it switched on overnight to download the 14 day epg once weekly at least.

It doesn't matter if you switch it off at the mains when not using it. It will retain the epg library and any recordings you have set. If you have set a recording don't forget to leave it on standby for the recording to take place.

It downloads the guide (epg) on channel 300 at around 0300 every night but I only leave mine on overnight once weekly just to update this. You can see how many days you have the guide for because the dates will be highlighted in BOLD in the Calendar.

To return to your original place (say the programme you were originally watching from the Guide or Library etc) just keep pressing the CANCEL button which will take you back in stages.

You will probably find that everything is fine.

I have both the FVRT 145 and the 150. The latter for over a year now and it has never missed a set recording or lost any from the library. I ONLY use SP for recording.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    Yep. I can give you one tip which will help you immensely.

Read the instruction book.

By the way, ROYOLD says leave it switched on. That's because he disconnects his from the mains most nights. You only need to leave it with power (i.e. in standby) - not fully "on". If like me you leave all your gear in standby then just don't concern yourself with it.

4. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks people. I left it on standby overnight-next morning-no updates, no 14 day guide or highlighted calender dates, no messages , no difference really. I tried scanning for new channels. I have 68 in total this morning, i,m sure yesterday I had 69? I can,t get men&motors, hits or tmf which I could on my old Tesco freeview box. I am getting about 74% signal reading. The instructions say I must have channel 704 4tv for the updates? My channel 704 is Radio 4?

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    4TV interactive is on channel 300. There was a reshuffle a few weeks ago - nothing to do with Fusion. And you do need good reception of this channel for your EPG data. Some have said that if you use Favourites, you need to have 300 in your list - that I can't confirm one way or t'other.

Ch 300 (4TV interactive) shares a mux (UHF frequency) with these:

The Hits 18 General Entertainment
    UKTV Bright Ideas 19 General Entertainment
    f tn 20 General Entertainment
    TMF 21 General Entertainment
    Ideal World 22 General Entertainment
    More 4 + 1 31 General Entertainment
    Men & Motors 35 General Entertainment
    Yoo Play Games 106 Text/Interactive
    4TV 300 Interactive Stream
    BBC World Service 710 Radio
    The Hits Radio 711 Radio
    Smash Hits! 712 Radio
    KISS 713 Radio
    Magic 715 Radio
    Q 716 Radio
    Oneword 717 Radio
    Smooth FM 718 Radio
    Kerrang! 722 Radio

If you aren't getting any of these, then you won't get 300 and you won't get an EPG. To cure this, you will probably need a re-work of your aerial setup. You may need a wideband item. Find out here.

Your 74% signal reading may well be for a different "mux" (UHF frequency) - with a different group of channels in it, one which you can receive.

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes - seems as if you are missing a Multiplex. You should have around 86 channels found. Mine does.

Try a TV signal booster to improve your signal. I have to use two signal boosters - one after the other, to obtain all these channels. Otherwise it only finds 56 channels.

7. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any advice on signal boosters or aerial upgrades? Prices, makers etc? If my initial signal to the aerial is poor, how does a plug in booster make better an already weak signal? As stated earlier, my cheapo tesco box could pick these channels up, albeit sometimes intermittently but it always stayed on and it was only the picture quality that suffered. Im using the same aerial.

8. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a few more questions (for now), if I one touch record whilst watching the channel, then decide to change channels, will it stay reording that programme or will it follow my channel selection? If so, will it only record that programme or keep recording until I stop it?

9. snail

snail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not all tuners are created equal, the one in your Tesco box may be better.

Also you now are feeding your signal into two tuners so the signal is degraded as it passes through the first, the second will not be getting as good as the first.

Finally your Tesco box only has to provide a signal direct to the TV if the signal quality varies all that happens usually is intermittent picture break up, now you are passing the signal to what is basically a PC which now has to try and record as clean a signal as possible without corruption, for subsequent playback and decoding.

It's these extra steps which lead to problems in PVRs versus simpler STBs, when the source signal is not the best it could be. A booster may help but I would look at other ways of improving the signal if possible, as a more permanent solution.

Snail

10. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen amplified aerials today but it's only the amp I need isn't it? I will ahve to look further afield. Is there a special kind of aerial for digiboxes? What should I look for?

11. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    However, in the case of the fusion, this doesn't hold much water - the user manual is pants, and largley written for the wrong device (fvrt100)!!!

12. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just bought a small aerial booster (£13) which plugs in at the mains and can feed 1-2 tv's. It did nothing. Frequencies found-5, tuner 1 signal-62%, tuner 2 signal-69% and 69 channels found. There is a more expensive £23 aerial amplifier but not sure if this will help get the signal for the epg. There seems to be info on gain and frequency range on these boosters. What should I look for or should I just replace the roof aerial for a digital type? Theres an aerial in the shop for £22 which is freeview/digital compatible.

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    There is no such thing as a "digital type" aerial, regardless of what retailers may claim. They are fundamentally exactly the same as "analogue type" aerials. However, depending on which transmitter you receive from, the frequencies used for Freeview may be spread more widely than those used for Analogue.

In my post no5 in this thread, I gave you a link to a website that will tell you the type of aerial you need for Freeview, which depends solely on which transmitter you receive from.

Also, the power used for Freeview is usually much lower than that for Analogue. So you may need a more sensitive aerial. Rather than stabbing in the dark yourself, I recommend you get in touch with a competent CAI installer local to you.

14. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Go with the advice provided by LV426 - your location seems very poor for freeview reception and local knowledge from an aerial installer is paramount. Probably also work out cheaper in the long run.

You did, however, purchase the wrong type TV booster. It should have been the one set type not two. The latter splits the output between the two. So, if it was a Maxview type then instead of the gain being the full 12.5dB you only get 6.5dB on each of the outlets.

15. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Royold, it was a maxview splitter/booster. There was a more expensive maxview amplifier-£23 which was not a splitter. I,m afraid to say I am lost when it comes to gain and frequencies. I recieve from the Bilsdale transmitter. I used the link generously supplied by LV426 but it just looked like a lot of numbers to me. Sorry to be a bit of a thicky.

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    For Freeview, Bilsdale requires a Wideband aerial. That's what the first column tells you (aerial type K/W). It's unlikely your existing aerial is a wideband one; the correct type for analogue is Band A and this is probably what you have. And this will account for non-reception of some muxes, especially those with the highest UHF channel numbers.

Talk to a good aerial man.

17. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that. I will get on the phone post-haste.

18. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got myself a high gain aerial fitted today. Cost £60 all in . Aerial looked cheap with blue plastic bits so don,t know how much the installation side of it was. It does work fantastically well though. I now have the channel 300 (4tv interactive) and men&motors, hits and tmf channels on my Digifusion and my Goodmans freeview which is split off the same aerial into another room. Picture quality is excellent on both. I wait with baited breath for 3am when the 14 day epg will appear. I might stay up and watch what happens.:boring:

19. HelloShaun

HelloShaun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got myself one of these a couple of weeks so that I could get rid of one of my telewest boxes.
    Initially I was very impressed with its ease of set-up (despite the manual quoting a different model) but then one morning I had no light on the front display and the thing was dead, after a while I found that the fault was with the power adaptor. Rather than taking it back to Argos I contacted Fusion who sent me a new one within 3 days - Good service.

In the meantime I powered the unit with a 12v 1.6a adaptor (the original was 5amp) that I had from another piece of kit and was nicely surprised to find that not only did it work fine but also that none of the recordings had been lost. The replacement adaptor sent is 3a.

So I'm back to being nicely impressed with this pvr and I suspect that will grow as I get to play with its features more but I have a question.

The manual (although for a dif model it seems) makes refererence to a light in the display to indicate R/C activity and another to indicate the number of channels recording. Mine only has a single light to indicate On/Standby is this the same as other owners?

20. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Probably the broken PSU you have is the 1 amp version which was the one in the 150 and 200 which kept breaking. The replacement 3A is the current replacement PSU.

Yes the 145 does not have the same display information as the 150. The manual relates to the 150 and it is the 150 illustration that is shown in the Argos catalogue. (I have both of them).

21. HelloShaun

HelloShaun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback.

The original PSU was labelled 5amp but it really doesnt matter as it works fine with with the 3amp and the 1.6 which is handy to know should it go again.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that the On/Standby indicator is confusing in that I can't think of any other appliance (certainly AV) that dims when on and brightens when in standby, the usual practice is to be the other way round. I still find myself checking myself as I think I've left it on.

22. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My memory capacity only goes to 97%. I have no messages or media stored so why is this. Can anyone confirm wether its 40gb or 80gb?

23. snail

snail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is always an amount of disk space reserved for realtime buffering, and if you have any scheduled recordings this will also pre-allocate an estimated amount of disk space. You will never see 100% free.

I believe all 145s should be shipped with an 80gb disk but without actually seeing what is written on the disk itself this is only a guess based on what is written on forums and the slightly dodgy documentation.

Snail

24. brunation

brunation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Resurrecting an old thread .....

Have just purchased a 2nd-hand 145 (1.7.4 firmware) and the Favourites don't work. Channel up/down still switches to unwanted channels :(

I'm missing Mux D so don't have 4TV (channel 300).

Can someone with 1.7.4 firmware and 4TV confirm it works?

TIA.

25. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes I am still using the 1.7.4 version on both my FVRT145 and FVRT150. The EPG works fine with this software but you must have channel 300 which is on Mux D. Without this channel you will not get any updates or the epg.

Your scan should find 6 main channels. Looks as if your machine is only finding 5 main channels. Indicates aerial problem.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

26. brunation

brunation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    4 actually :D but they were sufficient until I bought the PVR and Film4 launched.

So favourites works if 4tV/300 is available? :confused:

I shall sort out a new aerial.

Ta.

27. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    I think you misunderstood my (old) post.

Favourites should work regardless. It was the EPG that requires reception of ch300 (4TV interactive) and I thought that it may be necessary to have 300 in your favourites. I no longer think this is the case.

If it works like the FVRT200, you need to
    (a) select your favourites
    AND
    (b) turn favourites on, while looking at the EPG.
    Look for the coloured control buttons at the top. If it says
    o Favourites On
    then (confusingly) this means that they are off and you need to press the relevant colour to turn them on. And vice versa.

28. brunation

brunation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    That worked :smashin:

29. snail

snail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is only confusing to some, to others it is perfectly clearly indicating what will happen when you press the button, in much the same way as the buttons on a lift indicate what will happen to the doors when you press them.

All this really does is show how complex the whole field of UIs and ergonomics is, before you even start on the twin-tuner software programming :eek:

Snail

30. Caz41

Caz41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Come on snail, as LV says, it is confusing and surely should be the other way round. Just as the the light dimming in use and going brighter on standby is stupid. I'm surprised the green tuner lights don't come on AFTER recording just to let you know you're NOT recording....(did you follow that cos not sure if I did :confused: