The Denon AVR-5805...US model ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bacus, Mar 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    This unit can be had through ebay for $500 !!! Does this sound to good to be true ? I would love to get this amp, but dont wanna go for it if it does sound like a lemon !!!! Does this US model have any HDMI or DVI inputs ? and any HDMI or DVI outputs ? any help and info about this will be gladly receved with thanx in advance.

Simon

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
  3. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I realise that now, the ones on flee bay so i am told were built 2004 or there abouts !! This person reckons he has a few of them aswell !!!! Are people not covered through paypal on something like this ? and surley the seller has to be selling the model he is advertising ? :lease:

4. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    :lease:

5. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I've just looked at all the eBay listings for Denon 5805, and every one seems to be a scam!

They are all short duration listings, either 1 or 3 days. This is a sure sign of a scam with high value items. The "seller" hopes that the auction will finish before eBay are alerted to the scam. Any normal person would let the auction run for 7 or 10 days, to get the best price.

They all use either stock photos (pulled from a website), or pictures of a cardboard box under a tarpaulin. A genuine seller would use a photo of the actual item, in their own home.

One of the sellers has a history of selling low value ephemera, and is now listing a page full of high value electronics - a sure sign of a hijacked account.

The wording of some of the auctions is very odd, things like "do not bid, contact me by email. Do not use ask seller a question, as I won't get the email". Of course he won't, the real owner of the ID will get the email. The account has been hijacked.

The bottom line is, a Denon 5805 for $500 would be an unbeleiveable bargain, so, don't beleive it! This is the price you'd expect to pay for a minty 3802, or a doggy 3805.

If you bid for any of the 5805s currently on eBay, you'll lose your money.

6. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    Even if you did pick up a 5805 you'll need a whopping great step-down transformer and I doubt you'll have any Warranty with it. The 5805 is the USA model so Denon UK wouldn't be obliged to cover it. Stick to finding an A1XV or it's smaller sibling the A11XV.

7. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Thanx clockworks,
    Thanx for you message. i am now not bothering. So glad i asked on here be for i sent any money !!! I have never got anything off ebay so did not know to much about all the scams on there !! Thanx again

8. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    EBay is pretty safe, as long as you take nothing for granted. I've bought and sold well over 200 times, and not been caught once.

If you are considering buying any high-value items, it's best to start small, maybe buying a few CDs, DVDs, or similar. Get a feel of how things work. Take a look at what the seller as sold before. Learn to read between the lines of the descriptions. Look at what similar items have sold for in the past.

It's highly unlikely that you'll get anything ridiculously cheap (ask yourself why you're the only person bidding), but you can get some good deals.

Remember that you will have to pay VAT and import duty on anything over £18 (including shipping) that you buy from outside the EU.

9. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    i've just seen a 5805 on there, definite scam. "Quality Product in a Beautiful Box". beautiful box???? isn't it a regular cardboard one? Also the fact its been listed in the military belt buckles section should tell you its not a serious sale.

10. rmaro777

rmaro777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You can buy the Denon 5805 MKII for near $3800.00 US and not from Ebay but a reliable comany. I purchased mine in Feb 2007 andf used my Amex which is far better then Paypal. If you do buy from Ebay use your Amex as this will protect you no matter. Amex will support you in case of fraud and your money will be returned.

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the scams on ebay to be honest are no different to scams that have been going for centuries...lol.....if its too cheap then its not true (99.9999999999% of the time anyhow), if they want to avoid conventional methods for doing things (contact, transaction etc) then its not true.....and if they fawn over you too much then its not true or at least there are likely to be problems, etc....