1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The demise of the console?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Mike Heel, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Heel

Mike Heel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, what do you think?

Console gaming is slowly going down the pan. The release schedule for many of the main consoles ie the PS2 and the XBox is terrible with no real good games on the horizon.

Is it true about the Gamecube production being stopped? It's about time as this little box is a terrible machine, slow loading, poor graphics and sound.

The PS2 is the only console holding its own at the moment with lightning fast loading times and superb quality games.

Are there any 'next gen' consoles on the way or do you think that the big companies are more interested in producing PC' games these days.

I think the console generation has nearly had its day!

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No good games on the horizon eh?
    Well xbox has loads that i want mate, what i hear you ask ;)

1/PGR2
    2/G.R.I.T
    3/Crimson skies
    4/rainbow 6
    5/SC 2
    6/Topspin tennis
    7/Swat team
    8/Halo 2
    9/Half life 2
    10/Doom 3

Yeah the last 3 are a good few months off but they are coming.
    There are loads more i want but i can't be bothered to type them :D

3. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think you are talking out of your bum bum personally.

I own all 3 consoles, and I rate the Gamecube best out of all of them for pure gaming joy. The graphics are easily on par with anything the X-box has done, the load times are much better than PS2 games and pretty much identical to X-box games (maybe a tad slower due to the Xbox's hard drive)

Console games get far higher sales than equivalent PC games (I also like those, no bias here ;) and I believe GTA: Vice City is the fastest and biggest selling console game ever.

Gary A

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I hate gamecube i'm getting rid of it, xbox all the way :clap:

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I love the hassle free gaming you get with a console, but there are certain games which only work on a PC e.g. FPS & RTS (such as Quake 3 or Age of Empires). Console designers really need to develop a new mouse style interface to make these kinds of games work on a console - if they did that then I wouldn't bother with pc games anymore, no more crashes, upgrades, incompatibility, errors, or system spec problems!! :clap: :clap:

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    This is a joke, right? Not about the Cube production, because we all now that's been temporarily ceased to move old stock, but the comments about loading times on PS2 and Cube? Please.

Any games that have appeared on PS2 and Cube nearly always load faster on Cube than PS2 (Finding Nemo being a very noticeable exception), and can also end up looking better as well. The PS2 does certainly have some superb quality games, but it also has some utter, utter dross. The Cube has a smaller library, but I would definitely say that a much higher proportion of that library are excellent titles than the PS2.

Sorry to start a console war, but the loading time comment especially just seemed wrong.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I agree that you obviously don't really know what you are talking about. It has the fastest loading times of all the consoles (I know as I have had all 3), it consistently has graphics better than the PS2 but not as good as X-Box as it's power is in between. Sound is better than the PS2 and depending on the programming of the PL2 can be on a par with the X-Box.

This is not fanboy speak this is simple fact based on the games produced and the technological capabilities of the hardware.

If you think console gaming is dieing then you are sorely unaware of the global market. 60 million sales of the PS2 worldwide is hardly evidence of a dieing market. That is an extremely healthy market, and one, which when combined with console game sales out earns the film industry.

Interesting comments if you wanted to spark an argument, ill thought out comments if you were serious. Smells of troll to me.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When consoles started using stripped down Windows- that's when I see them dieing.

Consoles should have dedicated OS & games for THAT console.. not just a port jobbie from a PC

That's why a Playstation 1 could outperform a similar specced PC.

9. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think it's more to do with the static hardware actually, Developers only have to develop their games to run on with very specific limitations, whereas on PC they have to be able to run on thousands of different configurations.

Gary A

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The original poster obviously lives under a bridge and wait for billy goats to come along.

I've got a PS2 (for the missus to play Tomb Raider on and for fun gaming evenings with me mates) and in my office I have an Xbox which is used for more serious FPS games. Never used a Cube but have seen some working in shops and the graphics are good, just short of Xbox. My Ps2 is not in the same league. The benefits of it are some titles you can't get elsewhere (Vice city, TR etc) and the huge amount of cheap games available.

Now the Xbox I see as ahead at the moment. There are some exciting games on the horizon, certainly too many for me to play and I'm always behind (just got Splinter Cell). Not that it's a problem as most of my games are bought off forums for less than half price.

Also, take into account the fact that the PS2 is well into it's development cycle and designers have probably reached the max in terms of exploiting the hardware.

Consoles are the future. Have you ever tried PC gaming? I have twice decided to upgrade my PC for gaming and twice given up as I got tired of the constant crashes, blue screen on loading and various other problems. This wasing top quality components (Asus, Abit etc) too. I gave up and bought an Xbox for £120 and it has given me many hours of error free gaming.

11. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are you on drugs? We've never had it so good. And anyone getting rid of their Gamecube is a fool :D

Neil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.