The Definitive SkyLink Magic Eye Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is connected to the TV by a Chord HDMI cable which we used with the previous box. I didn't bother to unpack the HDMI that came with the new Sky box.

As this clearly has nothing to do with "magic eye", could it be split off to its own independent thread?
There's no point in having a "Magic Eye Guide" if you permit random posts to be tagged on.

Last edited:
anyone who has their sky box connected to the internet and has a iphone can use the app - no need for magic eye anymore

anyone who has their sky box connected to the internet and has a iphone[ can use the app - no need for magic eye anymore

Get real................

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer subtle humour, as in your other comment, to modern jargon, but yes.

The chap who replaced my old digibox (with intermittently working magic eye) with a new HD box told me that Sky no longer support magic eyes for use with the new HD boxes as for some reason the signal isn't always accepted by the box. Does anyone know if this is the case or whether he was just spinning me a line?

The latter.

He was, aka talking nonsense - what was "support" supposed to mean?

for some reason the signal isn't always accepted by the box

There's always a reason. Problem is that the Sky installers have neither the equipment nor the training or knowledge to determine the reason.

It may well be that future Digiboxes (like the Amstrad DRX595) will have no RF output. However, all the current models (apart from that one) have, and will continue to work.

It was getting the remote control back into the Sky machine that he was talking about, but there's no prospect of that facility being removed.

Thanks, chaps - that's what I suspected. I actually had a different installer around last night to fix a fault with the RF2 on the new box (which after a lot of mucking about turned out to be entirely my fault), and he said that they no longer supplied or installed magic eye connections but that the boxes should support them.

He also said they weren't allowed to muck about with anyone's cabling (mine goes to an amplifier / splitter in the loft and I had hoped he might fiddle with the connections for me) in case the customer then decided to hold them responsible for anything that might go awry.

Anyway, I've now ordered a decoupled cable from SatCure (I don't trust myself to make one), so I'll see if that makes the eye work better.

He also said they weren't allowed to muck about with anyone's cabling (mine goes to an amplifier / splitter in the loft and I had hoped he might fiddle with the connections for me) in case the customer then decided to hold them responsible for anything that might go awry.
That sounds far more likely than what you first post implied. ;)

Anyway, I've now ordered a decoupled cable from SatCure (I don't trust myself to make one), so I'll see if that makes the eye work better.

Many thanks. If you have any problems, please contact me direct.

they no longer supplied or installed magic eye connections
If he was a Sky employee I didn't know they'd ever supplied "eyes" and it's surprising that they sent him to fix a problem with one.
If the cabling you mention is also about RF2 Out then they're not involved with that either.

That sounds far more likely than what you first post implied. ;)
Yep, it wasn't what the first installer said but it sounds far more reasonable. :)

If he was a Sky employee I didn't know they'd ever supplied "eyes" and it's surprising that they sent him to fix a problem with one.
If the cabling you mention is also about RF2 Out then they're not involved with that either.
The problem was that the RF2 transmission down to the kitchen was working perfectly from the old box before they installed the new one, at which point the signal was useless. This bloke came round to try to get us back to the status quo - otherwise we'd have been worse off after their work than before it.

The fact that the problem was caused by me shuffling the cables in the loft box so that the RF2 output looped around and came back into the Sky box as the aerial input was neither here nor there. :facepalm: Happily, the installer took it with good grace.

:thumbsup:

The fact that the problem was caused by me shuffling the cables in the loft box so that the RF2 output looped around and came back into the Sky box as the aerial input was neither here nor there. :facepalm: Happily, the installer took it with good grace.

Bravo to you. :smashin: Not many people on here admit to "oversights". ;)

I have the AMSTRAD DRX-595 Sky HD box and have been trying desperately to get a video sender to work with this.

I now (finally) understand why I get video and sound but cannot get the remote to work. It has no RF out. Brilliant. :thumbsdow

My question relates to the information above and the TV link product mentioned for this box.

Does anyone know if I can run a video sender (to send the video and sound) along with one of the TV Links with power supply (to send the remote signal)? Is it that simple?

If so then this is great news and will finally allow me to get Sky into the bedroom!

Thanks for your help

Chris

A videosender that incorporates remote control will do the job.
A DRX-595 can't use a SkyLink magic eye without also using a tvLINK-Plus and power supply - which seems rather pointless if a wireless videosender works. Even if it doesn't work and you are forced to use coaxial cable, it would be far better to sell the DRX595 and get a model that supports the SkyLink magic-eye system.

Last edited:
I have the AMSTRAD DRX-595 Sky HD box and have been trying desperately to get a video sender to work with this.
I now (finally) understand why I get video and sound but cannot get the remote to work. It has no RF out.
What has RF Out to do with videosenders?:confused:
One unit of a videosender plugs into the Scart socket of the Sky machine and wirelessly sends the channel to the second unit which passes it on to the TV and also receives remote control signals and sends them back to the first unit which then controls the machine for changing the channel.

Hi guys,
Went to a job yesterday 20/08/2013 to a customer who'd just had a new sky+ HD box fitted by sky. She called because as you can guess, the sky link wasn't working. When we had a look at the back of the new sky box, to my astonishment there was no RF out anymore. These new boxes have had the RF Out plug removed leaving no way of connecting the previous sky link via a coax cable. This has got to do with sky losing out on its multi-room package. There is a way around this with a clever piece of kit, but thats for another thread.

Anyone else experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom