Question 'The Default Gateway is Not Available' problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Penner, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Penner

Penner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My Lenovo laptop runs Windows 10 and my Wi-Fi adapter is a Broadcom 802.11n.

My internet connection works flawlessly when I'm connected to the router (BT Hub 5) via Ethernet, but when I try to connect via Wi-Fi the connection randomly drops out. The router still shows an internet connection, and my other devices (phone and tablet) can still connect, but the laptop reports 'no internet'.

If I run the Windows Network Diagnostics tool, it goes through various procedures, ending with 'resetting Wi-Fi adapter'. Once this has happened, I am reconnected to the internet and the Diagnostic tool reports 'The default gateway is not available - solved'.

This can happen several times a day, and I am unable to identify any event that triggers it. I have tried updating the Wi-Fi adapter drivers, but the computer reports that I have the latest drivers.

Does anyone have any idea why it might be happening and how to solve it, please?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    The default gateway is just the router, so that doesn't tell us much other than you can't connect.

It could be that your laptop is either in a location with lots of attenuation to the router or possibly it's wi-fi card or antenna just isn't up to scratch.

If you use it for a while closer to the router (ideally in the same room) then do you get the same issues?

3. Penner

Penner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many thanks for your response EndlessWaves, and I'm sorry for my delayed reply. The laptop is actually used all the time in the same room as my router - about 3 feet away from it.