The Deer Hunter

I dont know why,i have never like this film think its very overated:eek:

:eek::eek::D

Wonder if it'll be the same transfer as the HD DVD which was average - good.

:eek::eek::D

Wonder if it'll be the same transfer as the HD DVD which was average - good.

I thought the HD DVD had excellent PQ. The original film had a deliberately 'rough' look to it - you can't blame the transfer for that.

Indeed, DoP Vilmos Zsigmond says in the commentary that he and director Michael Cimino felt the HD DVD transfer had been cleaned up too much and should look even rougher.

A great film - worth a place in anyone's collection.

Steve W

I thought the HD DVD had excellent PQ. The original film had a deliberately 'rough' look to it - you can't blame the transfer for that.

Indeed, DoP Vilmos Zsigmond says in the commentary that he and director Michael Cimino felt the HD DVD transfer had been cleaned up too much and should look even rougher.

A great film - worth a place in anyone's collection.

Steve W

Well said. Some of the Vietnam scenes seem to be lit with one tiny bulb swinging from the ceiling, it's certainly a challenge for any home video format and the HD-DVD does a good job of it. Director Michael Cimino is a controversial character who divides opinion amongst film fans but his commentary on UK The Deer Hunter DVD is certainly worth listening to. This is one of the very best films of the 70s in a decade of great films. Cimino got some good performances from his actors, none more so than John Cazale who I wish would get more recognition, think of his performances in The Godfather, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and the Deer Hunter. Now he was an actor !

Well said. Some of the Vietnam scenes seem to be lit with one tiny bulb swinging from the ceiling, it's certainly a challenge for any home video format and the HD-DVD does a good job of it. Director Michael Cimino is a controversial character who divides opinion amongst film fans but his commentary on UK The Deer Hunter DVD is certainly worth listening to. This is one of the very best films of the 70s in a decade of great films. Cimino got some good performances from his actors, none more so than John Cazale who I wish would get more recognition, think of his performances in The Godfather, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and the Deer Hunter. Now he was an actor !

I can only agree with that - a pretty impressive body of work to leave behind.

Indeed, the only other film he was in was a small part in the short film The American Way in 1962. Nothing then for 10 years, and we get The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter, all in the space of 6 years, before his untimely death in '78. Only 5 feature films, and every one nominated (deservedly) for an Oscar for Best Film.

Steve W

I've got the Australian version and it looks pretty darn good to me.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Looks like it comes with a little film booklet :thumbsup: beats an empty case.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom