• Watch our Live Stream podcast now. This week we interview Chris Mullins from Sony Professional about the latest native Sony 4K projectors and we discuss the best Hi-Fi products of the year. Join us and ask the team questions

The Deer Hunter 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Awesome review Cas could not have said it better myself .... got mine Monday and it's a beauty of a set.
Just a landmark movie nothing more to be said pal.

Last edited:

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas. Really spot on.

Diagnosticz

Great as always Cas. What a film this is, it takes you deep into the minds of the the main 3 characters. Also a great performance from Meryl Streep. I would normally be a little critical on a film getting a 10 but this is no doubt a masterpiece and deserves the full marks.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I haven't seen this since I was a teenager, but I remember being bored to tears for most of it. All the wedding stuff, and the post war part of the film dragged on. Perhaps I should give it another go, but I feel like many of these supposed classics are vastly overrated.

PC1975

I haven't seen this since I was a teenager, but I remember being bored to tears for most of it. All the wedding stuff, and the post war part of the film dragged on. Perhaps I should give it another go, but I feel like many of these supposed classics are vastly overrated.
Nah, this is a good one. The russian roulette scene is one of the most intense pieces of acting DeNiro ever did. It is however, relentlessly depressing and for that reason one that I haven't returned to for a very long time.

Last edited:

AlanX

The Specs page says this is HDR10, but the Review page says Dolby Vision (but also says 10-bit depth). I am confused!

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I'm sort of with you here fella as the last time I watched this was in the video tape era and although it did leave an impression back then I've not felt the need to revisit it . The steller review ( cheers @Casimir Harlow ) has got me thinking I may just appreciate the film more as an old n somewhat wiser :) gent .

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I'm sort of with you here fella as the last time I watched this was in the video tape era and although it did leave an impression back then I've not felt the need to revisit it . The steller review ( cheers @Casimir Harlow ) has got me thinking I may just appreciate the film more as an old n somewhat wiser :) gent .
I agree. I remember at the time I was more into Steven Seagal's back catalogue than anything else so perhaps my judgement was impaired somewhat. As @PC1975 said though, interminable bleakness doesn't really make me want to give it another shot.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I agree. I remember at the time I was more into Steven Seagal's back catalogue than anything else so perhaps my judgement was impaired somewhat. As @PC1975 said though, interminable bleakness doesn't really make me want to give it another shot.
Think it was probably Apocalypse Now that turned my head away from this film back in the day with the shere spectable of it all .

Will Scarlet

HDR is HDR10 and not Dolby Vision. There's no release of this title with Dolby Vision HDR.
That is incorrect, there is most definitely a Dolby Vision layer on this release.;)

Last edited:

moedeeb

I watched this earlier today on iTunes with Dolby vision on my Apple TV 4k. I love this film but not as much as the chaotic and underrated Heavens Gate. Interesting how making it up as you go along eventually did for Cimino. Personally I will keep on with this approach as long as I can.

MikeTheBike2010

Isn’t this the one where the guy must be the luckiest man in the world? I mean we leave him at one point playing Russian roulette then come back to rescue him months (years) later and.........he’s still playing Russian roulette?

Sorry I know it’s a spoiler but feel fair game with a film this age?

Winnie1221

Nice review Cas, this is no doubt a great film, I'd give it a solid 9/10.

But what I don't understand is how a UHD can score 8/10 for having a 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio track?

Also, a 10/10 for a UHD should not only be a fantastic film but also have fantastic all round sound and vision, otherwise it becomes just a 'movie review'. I can understand how this is a classic film and a favourite of many. But to give this 10/10 for a UHD review seems a little strange. And if you average all four scores (which I'm assuming is how you get the 'overall' score) it is actually a 9/10.

themovierooms

Tough call if this or the original Rear Window is my favourite film of all time, I think this has more weight. Cant wait to see it in all of it's glory.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
It doesn't mention it anywhere on the packaging but this release includes Dolby Vision.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Id advise blind buyers to be careful...

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett