The Death of RCE (and Regional coding altogether)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by billduff, Aug 19, 2002.

1. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The BBC has a news story on Regional coding in its site. Its a bit simplified but makes some good points

Read the Full Story Here

2. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    About time this region malarky was put to bed.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure the BBFC will totally agree

NOT !

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,322
    Pretty much a waste of time anyway as most multiregion players get round RCE titles without too much hassle.

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    IMHO this article by the BBC was a BIG MISTAKE.

Co's the authorities such as, BBFC, FACT, VAT, government and moral crusaders are really going to say "OK you win". "Sell what you like in every highstreet branch".

This article brings what was once a underpublicised back door for grey imports a far higher and unnecessary profile.

"The Sun" with it's "tide of filth on every PC" campaign will now (like the Daily Mail) turn it's attention on "the tide of filth on every DVD player".

Just as the US and subsequently Britain, are about to emberk on a dubious political/military adventure in the middle east, along comes the perfect fuel for a scare mongering campaign that can be used to steer the publics focus away from serious events.

Don't be surprised if they try to close the legal loophole of "personal importation", and we all end up totally f**cked.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You spelt f*cked wrong :D

What has always worried me more is the notice that is on the back of all DVDs you buy. The words to the effect of "This disk is only for sale in the US and Canada." Sometimes accompanied by "Any sale in other countries is in breach of your trade agreement with ......." :rolleyes:

I would've thought that most journalists who own DVD players have multi-region ones anyway so I can't see them going on about a "tide of filth" this time round. But we'll have to wait and see....

7. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, but I also assume most journalists have some filth on thier PC's too and it didn't stop that one.

To be honest, it used to be difficult to multiregion players but in the past year/two years, more and more companies are making it possible to do it with a special remote or a file off a disc, so obviously they feel it's time to get rid of region coding too.

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    columbia-tristar etc. (sony) have just started to release R1 discs with a new enhanced RCE, the sweetest thing apparently being the first. I've got this disc and it works on both my sony ns900 and tosh 900e players-both are hard chipped ( I got the sony before remote hacking was used) it will be interesting to see which players this will trip up-if any.

9. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think personal importation will get any harder.

Whilst the studios are narked at us buying dvd's from USA etc they still get revenue from the sale (from the shop in the USA) - albeit not from the cinema. They appreciate that many sales are to people who have seen the film at the Cinema & want thier own copy (In some ways this is advantageous as it very quickly maximisies the income for the movie).

Tighter restrictions would only lead to widespread piracy via the net = bugger all revenue.

I think the RCE will be further tweaked as a media friendly gesture but I wouldn't lose any sleep just yet.

The studios have more to worry about with the price drop on recordable dvd.

Now that could seriously harm the market & I fear we may see new encoding to combat this, leading to our machines needing firmware upgrades to play new movies (you all remember the Matrix fiasco?).

This will be of great cost to the manufacturers, to the shops and subsequently to you know who.

Um, I think I may have lost the lot a little there:blush:

10. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was the p you lost:)

11. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: is that called taking the p?

12. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it was educational:)honest

13. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the ruling in Australia allowing Australian shops to sell any region DVDs.

I read the EU could be looking at something similar as it is restricting free trade or something.

14. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember hearing about that months ago stewarth but i can assure you it has had bugger all effect. there are some DVD stores that rent out r1 dvd's but it's very clandestine with them all bieng hidden behind the counter. as far as i know there is no shop that openly sells R1 disks here in Australia.
    this is a real ****off as we have Parralell import regulations that allow ANY store in australia to sell CD's from anywhere in the world, and they do it too, so why not extend this to DVD's. guess the movie houses have more political sway than the music biz. Hopefully someday soon this all changes.

Nathan

15. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not strictly true, the main reaon more dvd players can be made multi region is because smaller companies started making them then, Aiwa Phillips etc, and rather than make hardware for each region the software can be easily hacked by remote, its more cost effective for them this way. thats why sony etc are harder to multi region, ie no hacks.

16. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it will be difficult for them to ban personal importation- with e commerce and globalization it is becoming more difficult to limit what citizens do. I also feel that closer european integration will put a stop eventually to the censorship we endure in the U.K. as we will have to harmonize with the e.e.c. I had not seen the tide of filth headlines. There is an incredible amount of hypocricy. These tabloid newspapers often have ads for sex lines and people who sell sex videos via Amsterdam. Just a few hundred yards from the BBFC offices there are shops selling bootlegged videos and dvd.s for anywhere between £30 and £50 when the cost in the U.S. is about $15. There is no VAT or other taxes being paid on this. Shops like HMV and Virgin are also getting away with selling sanitized versions of explicit videos for vastly inflated prices. A lot of people are getting rich on the backs of regional coding and U.K. censorship.