The Day The Earth Stood Still Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Keith Hurst, 20th December 2008
The Day the Earth Stood Still is an all time classic, a shining star in a universe of science fiction which was all too often populated by the fear of the unknown. Yes that fear is shown here but it's shown up for what how it was enhanced and manipulated. It's not the be all and end all of this movie, just the catalyst it needs to try and get a larger message across. The set is what I have almost always wanted, the video is clean and detailed, the audio somewhat narrow but then what can you expect really? This has a galaxy more extras then my steel-book edition however I cannot as yet donate that as it has that 80 minute all important documentary which I would miss having. Fox have done a good job on the extras but not to include this has to be seen as a missed opportunity.

Acting is good enough, direction impeccable, Herrmann's score speaks for itself; not only because of this feature but because how often it has been imitated since that time. TDTESS is one of my all time favourite movies, it has been since I first saw it in the early 1970s and it will continue to be so. I do feel that this has to be in anyone's and everyone's collection, it can be watched time and again without it ever becoming stale. As such this disc obviously comes highly recommended.

Read the full review...

Thank's Keith,great review.:thumbsup:

One of my favourite sci-fi films.:smashin:

Petty it's region locked,damn it!:mad:

Thanks, a great film with a good shed load of extras to boot. As you say it's a pity about the region locking thing but then that's Fox for you :rolleyes:

I hope the UK release has the same set of extras, hopefully the full making of video too but I know thats probably asking way too much.

I'll see if I can get a UK release date.

Keith

What is it with Fox and catalogue titles,bloody annoying?

Fair enough with new films,but c'mon a 50's b&w film,it isn't gonna be the first choice for scumbag pirates to copy.

Instant buy when it comes out here.

Fair enough with new films,but c'mon a 50's b&w film,it isn't gonna be the first choice for scumbag pirates to copy.
I don't think region locking has anything to do with piracy.
Anyhow vote with your wallet and buy a US player.

I don't think region locking has anything to do with piracy.
Anyhow vote with your wallet and buy a US player.

I can understand new films requiring locking because of world wide box-office,film not yet released in other countries etc.Catalogue titles,i can't see the point.

If Warners,Universal et al aren't fussed about region coding then i don't see why Fox,Disney should be.Like you stated,i can buy a US machine,but i choose not to at the moment

The sooner we can rip blu-ray discs, remove the region locking and burn copies onto blanks the better.

I can't afford a region a bluray player and don't want the risks of shelling out a load of cash with no warranty.

Awesome film then and even now, pity the re-make was the biggest pile of poo poo I have ever wasted money going to see!

Because of some of the dodgy effects I think this is a film that should not be seen too clearly in Blu Ray. Unless they have digitally hidden the seams in the robot suit for example.

The seams are still there, it's a product of it's time... nothing wrong with it... the seams after all are not that important to the overall storyline.

KH

An awesome film and a great review, Keith :thumbsup: Totally agree with your comments.

The Gort suit is iconic - creases were all the rage in inter-galactic circles in those days - the pinched face of Michael Rennie a peculiar 50's alien-personification (quiff and DA an' all) and the sheer mystery and majesty of that simply beautiful saucer absolutely irresistable. Powerful story too.

Wise and co didn't opt for the simple space-monster approach and, during that period, this was something groundbreaking.

Bernard Herrmann's score - incredible and vastly influential (along with Tiomkin's equally Theremin-laced Thing From Another World score the same year) ... well, I'll save all that for the impending reviews of both.

The remake - ahhh, well ... what were they thinking? First half is very enjoyable and I'm not going to say here and now that it stinks (it doesn't ... entirely). Love the BIG Gort - shame about his severe lack of presence once things properly kick off. They just had to be different, didn't they?

I may review the remake as well - not sure atm. Might have to watch it again to find something redeeming.

But, anyway, Keith, smashing review, dude. Love the vintage stuff!!!!

Bring on The Thing From Another World, Shrinking Man, The Haunting, Night Of The Demon and my beloved Universal Horrors on BD soon!!!!!!

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

Yes the remake...

In all honesty not as bad as I initially thought it would be and most of the concepts in the original mirrored to some degree or other.

BIG Gort, I did actually enjoy the time when you understood what was going on with the diamond drill bit, he should have had more screen time before that though.

Anyway Chris, thanks for your comments... all the best to you and yours at this time of year.

MadMac Barada Nikto,
Keith.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom