The Day Of The Triffids Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Feb 23, 2010.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +445
      Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 23rd February 2010
      This new modernised take on John Wyndham’s classic SF novel is actually great fun, all round. A good, strong cast take the story seriously enough for us to follow-suit. An epic scale to the destruction of Britain and the ensuing anarchy is vividly captured, and the various encounters with nefarious humans and violent vegetation all pack enough of a visceral punch to keep the excitement levels bubbling. The story is pretty faithful, albeit with a few surprisingly effective new slants that only make the story more believably relevant for modern audiences, and the visualisation of a world gone to the plants is often excitingly drawn. The idea of seeing the post-apocalyptic world is always enticing and Patrick Harbinson's screenplay brings this to raw and intriguing life. My only complaints with this dramatisation would be those that I would raise against the original novel, as well. The whole “blindness” angle is little more than a convenience, and the Triffids, themselves, often seem like a happy coincidence, rather than an all-out threat. But kudos must go to the devout resilience that the makers had to withstand perpetrating a more Hollywood-style ending.

Fast, action-packed and visually captivating, The Day of The Triffids presents a harder, meaner adaptation than we had any right to have expected from the Beeb, and this single-disc UK Blu-ray presentation goes commendably hand-in-frond with it. A top-notch picture brings the tale to vivid life, although the audio does little to properly impress, and the extras become a truly bewildering hybrid of the fun, the insightful and the downright embarrassing. Seriously, if they weren’t taking the plant-sap with this massive roster of cack-handed interviews, then I’m Charlie Dimmock!

Some people weren’t impressed with this version of the acclaimed British SF-spearhead, but I must say that I found it highly enjoyable. The dreariness of the previous TV-series is utterly eschewed and the whole enterprise is dealt out with vigour and intelligence, and a keen sense of character that, mostly, works very well indeed. Thus, this Blu-ray edition of The Day Of The Triffids comes highly recommended. It delivers all the veggie-violence you could hope for in a 12-rated yarn and provides an ecologically pertinent drama with characters you can, ahem, root for.

A definite grower!

Read the full review...

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,484
      The rating on the packaging looks like it says 15 !

Is that right ?

3. Chris McEneany

Chris McEneany
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +318

Well, my actual copy has 12 stamped all over it - and the disc as well. I can only presume the image for the pack-shot is wrong, possibly an early picture.

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

4. thearrowmaker

thearrowmaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      Could this possibly be the first BBC production released in 1080p? I have plenty of BBC blu-rays, all of which are 1080i.

5. iDarren

iDarren

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Haven't seen it, but I noticed that almost every review on amazon.co.uk says the show is trash. Interesting that the reviewer here says it is very good....

6. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,525
      I recorded this to my planner, watched part 1 and deleted part 2 without watching.

Chris, I disagree about the 'blindness' angle. The book is about the blindness, with Triffid threat feeling like it's added in as an extra danger/inconvenience. James Herbert did something similar with his 3rd 'rats' book Domain. The story is concerned primarily with the post-apocalyptic world – the Triffids are there as a narrative device so that their ‘defeat’ can be seen as a satisfactory conclusion to the story – something that would otherwise be difficult, if not impossible.

This series automatically suffers from inevitable comparisons with the recent remake of Survivors, which is far superior, despite being sub-standard compared to the original '70s vision.

Just my opinion.

Steve W

7. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,227