1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Darkness

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Oct 17, 2003.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just seen them live at Newcastle, bloody amazing, sheer energy, they just dont stop. Justin did his walking round on someones shoulders routine, it all reminded me of Led Zep and Robert Plant.

Incase you were unsure of my thoughts when it comes to this band :rolleyes: let me just say again, these guys are in it for the long run, they have terrific charisma, great crowd rapor, they entertain, have great songs and are not in love with themselves.

Go and see them, they are not second fiddle to any band old or new, no-body who likes rock music could fail to be impressed and believe me , they do ROCK.

To qualify this, I took a mate along (cos the missus couldnt make it), he doesnt really like metal bands, more Eagles and Neil Young, he didnt even know who they were, but in his words..................." I was singing along to the lyrics and I didnt even know the songs, best band Ive ever seen ".

Buy, beg , borrow or steal a ticket and treat youself to a Darkness gig, then come back and tell me that they are only a flash in the pan, I dare you :nono: :D

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Certainly not a flash in the pan, and they are a good live band, as is the case with so many average and musically uninspiringly shallow bands.

I have seen them live and still I remain entirely unimpressed. They're really nothing special. No big deal!

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I saw them live earlier in the year (supporting Def Leppard :blush: )
    Thought they were fine until the 'falsetto' singing started, so after about 4 tracks it was a case of:
    "Anyone fancy a pint?"
    Suffice to say, no one I was with was bothered about missing the rest of their set.
    I've been a fan of Heavy/Rock music for over 20 years now - I think they're crap. Having said that, I get the impression that their attitude to what they do is more than a bit 'tounge-in-cheek'.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, that's the only reason I don't lay into them. They don't take themselves seriously. They make music and put on a show they want people to enjoy, and people do - maybe because they don't always have such high expectations of bands, they're just easily pleased or even because they have no real taste (not meant as an insult to Darkness fans)... whatever.

The Darkness have no pretensions of being the new Led Zeppelin so fair do's to the band. If they did, then because their music just ain't that good, I'd really have to start ripping into them.

5. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As is the case with most bands hyped this badly;They don't live up to it.Three or four tracks into their god-awful album and I could barely stand it,talk about overkill with that guys voice!If people like that sort of thing then fair do's,but it's all beyond my comprehension how and why.Best "rock"(I hate to pigeonhole stuff)album I've heard/bought lately is the new Nickelback album,absolutely f*****g amazing.It's their best yet and I thoroughly recommend it.
    Don't be offended Karkus,I've read a lot of your posts and you really know your stuff,but a big "music buddy"(one of those people at work who understand,as opposed to the mainstream morons!)of mine also turned to the dark side lately and I'm doing my swede in trying to figure out how to help before he's breathing heavily and wearing a weird shiny black mask:rotfl:

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kinda liked the first Nickelback record. Was solid rock with potential. I think they went a bit bland and Dad rockish though. Having said that, I haven't heard any new stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can't wait for my new Sevendust record to arrive - 'Seasons'. I love that band so much. So exciting...

7. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By first album,what are you referring to?A lot of people think "The State" was their first,but it's actually an independent release called "Curb".You really need to give the new one a listen if you liked any of their previous stuff,they're back with a new pair of(bigger)cahoonas!:devil:

8. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for hijacking your thread Karkus,I'm gonna clear off now!

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Ok Im not, well you cant tell under this mask :rotfl:

Mind you, Nickelback, Mask or Mullet ?, Mask or Mullet ?.

10. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,if it has to be mask or mullet,go with the mask it's lower maintenance!

11. darth_sidious

darth_sidious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i think the darkness are a kickass band!!!!

Does anyone else think the guitar in parts of the songs sounds like it would be played by bill and ted wild stalyns style??????

I so want to see them live!!!!!!

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Yes, I even quoted that in one of my reviews, they sound like they have arrived to save the world.

Oh yes and you should see them live :clap: :smashin: I gave my spare ticket to a mate for the face value, could have sold it on ebay for 4 times as much :eek:

13. darth_sidious

darth_sidious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you probably could have done!!! but what would have been better is that you could have given it to me for free!!!

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Urrrrrr oh yeah, not, Gambit tried that on me as well. :nono:

Charity begins at home as they say, but you would have loved it :p ;)

Apparently, ticket in the US of A for sums in excess of $300 :eek:

15. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be very surprised if they're not around for quite some time. I know they're not exactly the most original band in the world, but they've got a good album, put on a good show, and genuinely seem to be enjoying themselves. On top of that, they've filled a niche.

Good luck to 'em. I hope they make a fortune.

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    If only his voice didn't sound like Sparks then I could probably listen to it more

17. skelly13

skelly13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those commenting in the positive about T.D., do you still feel the same after all these weeks of that song appearing on every radio station, every hour of every day?
    I enjoyed it the first 74 times, but now extremely tired of it, the very intro sends my finger racing to switch the radio channel, and then when I heard the new single, it got to the part where I recognised who it was (i.e. he opened his gob) and found myself reaching and switching again.
    One word, Fad

All IMHO of course

18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    As my DAB has never moved from Radio 5 live, I am never subject to overplaying. Thus have continued to enjoy Permission to Land as I have played it when I want to listen to it.

19. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Oh yes, you can never have too much of a good thing :D

I dont listen to the radio much, as I want to listen when I want to listen and to what I want to listen to.

It was great seeing them at the MTV awards, just like Led Zep all over again, hope they buy a jet and we get loads of debauched stories. Proper rock stars again :clap: most are just into chemical self abuse these days and the occasional baby dangling :rolleyes: its so pase.

FAD hmmmf, go and see them live at a decent venue, then I challenge you to repeat that comment :p

20. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh please... Don't insult Led Zep.

21. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    maybe

22. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Sorry to say this but here goes:

I'm fed up with the bloody darkness, every where I go its, the darkness this, the darkness that, every issue of NME seems to be a "darkness tribute Issue".

No offence intended to them, or any fans but there is more going on in the world of music than a guy whos balls haven't droped running around stage wearing spandex, and filming music videos with squid humping space ships.

A bit of a rant I know but has anyone else noticed how they are getting everywhere. I wake up to the alarm, and the darkness are on the radio, I get to the train station and theres an advert for the darkness album, listen to radio on the train, more darkness...... I could go on for hours.

Obviously they are talented musicians, but it would be nice to hear something different on the radio or on MTV than the darkness every other track.

Rant Over

24. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thats just paranoia, my alarm just makes a beeping noise more in keeping with Laurie Anderson (Oh Superman).

NME seems to be mainly Kings of Leon, Calib did this, the weird beardy one did that etc or lately The Strokes; Morretti this Morretti that.

However it has been in the charts for weeks, so if it gets airplay thats not suprising. However it could have been Brian Adams, think yourself lucky, or the Smurfs (shudder :rolleyes: