The Darkness Xbox 360 reviews

What woud you rate The Darkness?

• Total voters

Dazza

931520x.jpg

Thought i'd post a review thread for this highly enjoyable game :smashin:

A 10 should only be given for a landmark game that sets new rules, a 9 for a truly excellent game without flaw, and an average game that does things right but nothing special should get a 5 (not a 7 or 8 like some would have you believe).

amflemi

I enjoyed this game immensley but felt that it was way too short and also became a bit repetitive after a while. The ideas in the game and the animation was spot on.

I have to say I marked it average..:( It started of really promising but the level design was really boring and the further you get into the game you realise theres too much back and forth in the same few places wich isnt cool as the levels all look samey.

GeordieSquires

I'll give it an 8/10. I really liked the story, but I felt the game was a little short and the fact that XBL multiplayer had its flaws drops the score slightly.

Slyboy

I dont know what it was about this game, but I really enjoyed it. Its probably because I didnt read reviews or know much about it, but I loved the excellent graphics and storyline and played it very late into the night (4am on a week day - work the next day was hell!!), something I havent done for a while.

Not played the multiplayer and I have heard its rather poor. For the single player game I give it 9/10 - I enjoyed it much more than Halo 3 single player (multiplayers a different story)

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Just completed The Darkness. Not overly impressed I'm afraid. Storyline was fine, graphics and sound average. Unfortunately where the game fell down IMHO was with Gameplay.

It starts off as a bog standard shooter - the weapons all border on average/poor and the enemy AI is weak to say the least. However it starts to get interesting when the 'Darkness' powers start to be unlocked. Unfortunately the game bodges this - the first, Creeping Dark, is unlocked early is enjoyable and useful. Using it reminded me of the Chestburster levels from Aliens v Predator 2. However the other powers (Black Hole, Demon Arm and Darkness Guns) are not unlocked until late (two-thirds?) into the game - this is a waste IMHO especially as 'Black Hole' is one of the best weapons in a FPS. The others are rubbish though - Demon Arm has about as much effect as dabbing someone with a cotton bud and the Darkness Guns are just guns with infinite ammo.

I also thought the Darklings were completely wasted. They created these great little demons you can summon but, actually, your control over them is so weak that it's easier to do the job yourself. If only they had copied the minions in the exceptional Overlord then it would have really added something to this game IMHO.

Finally, as the name suggests, you thrive in the dark - so a significant proportion of the game is spent shooting out lights. Well that is all fine and dandy as long as their is a decent night vision mode in place. Unfortunately the game forgets this. It also forgets a torch/light/flares. The night vision you do get (when in Darkness mode) illuminates somethings but not others - on some occasions I was wondering round in the dark unable to see my exit because I had shot out the lights.

All in all I would rate this game about 3/10 (although the latter third warrants more - perhaps 6/10). Whatever avoid unless your bored IMHO.

Markoos

It's an 8 for me. Hasn't felt that short for me, but maybe because that's because I started it the week it came out and have only come back to it over the past week and properly played it. Love it though and would love a movie adaptation - it all seemed very cinematic. Mike Patton is excellent as the voice of The Darkness too.

drskhaled

decidedly average fps. finished and traded in months ago. Just doesnt seem right having a Goth as a mafia hitman. Mildly interesting backstory tho.

TheseGams

Just completed The Darkness. Not overly impressed I'm afraid. Storyline was fine, graphics and sound average. Unfortunately where the game fell down IMHO was with Gameplay.

It starts off as a bog standard shooter - the weapons all border on average/poor and the enemy AI is weak to say the least. However it starts to get interesting when the 'Darkness' powers start to be unlocked. Unfortunately the game bodges this - the first, Creeping Dark, is unlocked early is enjoyable and useful. Using it reminded me of the Chestburster levels from Aliens v Predator 2. However the other powers (Black Hole, Demon Arm and Darkness Guns) are not unlocked until late (two-thirds?) into the game - this is a waste IMHO especially as 'Black Hole' is one of the best weapons in a FPS. The others are rubbish though - Demon Arm has about as much effect as dabbing someone with a cotton bud and the Darkness Guns are just guns with infinite ammo.

I also thought the Darklings were completely wasted. They created these great little demons you can summon but, actually, your control over them is so weak that it's easier to do the job yourself. If only they had copied the minions in the exceptional Overlord then it would have really added something to this game IMHO.

Finally, as the name suggests, you thrive in the dark - so a significant proportion of the game is spent shooting out lights. Well that is all fine and dandy as long as their is a decent night vision mode in place. Unfortunately the game forgets this. It also forgets a torch/light/flares. The night vision you do get (when in Darkness mode) illuminates somethings but not others - on some occasions I was wondering round in the dark unable to see my exit because I had shot out the lights.

All in all I would rate this game about 3/10 (although the latter third warrants more - perhaps 6/10). Whatever avoid unless your bored IMHO.

i think your being pretty unfair there, its not that bad, i gave it a 7 out of ten.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
i think your being pretty unfair there, its not that bad, i gave it a 7 out of ten.

I Agree there, I guess each to their own though, a very enjoyable 8/10 for me, haven't tried the multiplayer TBH but the single player has had me pretty well hooked like few games do lately(believe it or not it even interupted GTA IV which I'd only just started playing before this game).

There are some areas where it falls a little short, the whole shooting out the lights thing does get a touch tedious, as does revisinting the same locations, but even so there are some nice surprises in the game that really set it apart from just about any other FPS I've played. I think I enjoyed it more for not reading much about the game beforehand, I would advise the same to anyone thinking of picking this up cheap(got mine for a tenner and it was well worth every penny of that IMO!).

mg-paul

Been playing this for a couple of days now having picked it up cheep as a trade in.

Finding it quite unusual in places and quite gripping when you are not sure what the voices are. I had not read any reviews before so was coming at it completly open and think this was certainly the best way.

McSteve

Standard Member
It is quite a strange one this. Its a bit ordainry but I did play it all the way through so it must have something to it. I agree with some of the comments where they they could have put in a little more thought and made an excellent game. Anyway 7 from me.

tupacshakurday

Standard Member
i love this game and i love the opening of the game too, its a fairly short game though that might be because i was addicted to it and could not ut the controller down but it was very enjoyable to play

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom