1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Darkness : The South Bank Show

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by gringottsdirect, Nov 16, 2004.

1. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sunday 21 November 2004
    22.45 ITV 1 The South Bank Show

THE DARKNESS

The saviours of rock n roll or just posing pomp rockers ?
    Public opinion on The Darkness is wildly divided. However, their meteoric rise to fame has been a tale of triumph against the odds.
    On tonight's show Melvyn Bragg talks to the group about how they overcame the prejudice of the music industry to find chart success. :cool:

Copyright Radio Times

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Permission To Bump ^ :)

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Cheers for the heads up. I saw it, very Tapesque, with Justin yakin' on about the special finish on his guitar, I hope it was meant as a self-parody. It was interesting to hear the rest of the band, his brother is very serious and has been a session player for loads of people which also goes for the other members of the band.

They rate themselves as a punk band due to a punk attitude and not giving a Black Shuck what others think about their music (which I really admire, because it comes across with sincerity) and they dont give in to commercial pressure (which is a bit niave hmmmm, a certain KC tried that one, money talks. Justin likes the Mercs and the girls, he didnt look like he was ready to jump on a scooter for his cause !).

The music isnt new, but the combination of cock rock combined with less than macho lyrics is different. They certainly can play, they certainly can write, they certainly can perform. Sky rocketing to success so quickly is bound to strain the group, but they appear to have their heads screwed on and are used to tough schedules.

My guess. Well, the next album will make or break them and they seem to realise they need time out to do it. I reckon they have a good chance of pulling it off and a good chance that they will be in the vanguard, if not the leader, in the switch away from Travis, Snow Patrol, Coldplay et al.

Start of the next Punk explosion ?.........maybe.

4. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have to say, as a guitarist myself i can totally understand the dewey eyed raving about the finish on the guitar. i've done the same myself, often to people who barely know what a guitar is! (yes, i do feel a bit of a tit afterwards) and i haven't had a Gibson custom shop model made with my name on it( there are only about 15 of those Darkness Les Pauls, each costing about 5 grand to buy)

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Finally managed to watch it today.
    Mr Bragg puts together a good show. :thumbsup:

Iggy Pop on South Bank tonight ! :cool:

6. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    saw the Darkness last week at the MEN in Manchester

brilliant !

still think they were better at Rockingham Motor Speedway

7. fredbloggs

fredbloggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here :clap: :clap:

It was superb, he got a few digs in about Band Aid though, quite liked a few of there new ones to.

I think they should have gone in for a full on "we will rock you" when we all started clapping and singing it though :smashin:

8. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The English Garden song was good
    They should have done the we will rock you!!!

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Saw them at Newcastle Arena, great gig. Although the gig last October at Newcasle Uni was better and Justin walked around the audience on the shoulders of Frankie and I was right at the front (well for about 30 seconds anyway). Not sure what to think about the new songs, English county garden kept making me think about Genesis, Marillion or simon and Garfunkle.