1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE DAMBUSTERS, any region will do, when?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rachael Bitchlist, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I was cruising another forum just a bit ago and somebody commented that THE DAMBUSTERS was being released in region 2 soon. So, I went to Blackstar and didn't find it. I'd appreciate any facts or rumours...

2. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rachael, I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that Warners were about to issue a four-movie R2 set about WWII including The Dambusters. I'm afraid I wasn't paying much attention so didn't get any details.

3. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had thought it was out this week but according to Play is now coming next Monday.
    You have to buy the boxset of the 4 films £39.99 rrp but Play have for £33.99. Its called the British War Collection.

Also had heard they have kept Gibson's dog with its real name rather than use the dubbed over used for recent TV screening for political correctness but not confirmed.

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks, I'll be checking for the British War Collection. Play won't ship to the U.S. I'll try Blackstar and one other place I have in a folder. I hope they leave the dog's name alone. I thought PC was mainly an AmeriKan thang. I'm sorry to hear that the virus has spread. I'm so sure it will never release in the U.S. again. Things have become so "correct" here that Bill Marr's Politically Incorrect TV show was canceled just this week. BTW, what name did they dub in? Every time I watch EAST IS EAST I just pine for THE DAMBUSTERS and I watched it recently...

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's definitely on Blackstar with a release date of next Tuesday.

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Rachael, HCC have write up as:

Marching into the UK on May 27 is a special 4-disc boxset containing four classic war movies. The British War DVD Collection will exclusively feature Ice-Cold In Alex, The Colditz Story, The Cruel Sea and, of course, The Dam Busters. Priced at £39.99, each boxset will also include an art card for each film showing the original theatrical poster artwork. In addition, each film disc will carry an original theatrical trailer.

And I recalled bensonsworld.co.uk do free worldwide shipping, it's £35.95 there.

Gotta get a copy of this myself - British Grenadiers sounds ringing round my head now.

You may care to keep a favourite on your browser for http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/
    which is pretty useful.

I forgot all about the dog, but having read above I can instantly hear it being called!

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Encaser! That will go in my out-of-region folder. I'll be ordering this set. Thanks everybody!:)

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember rightly they dubbed it with Nipper.

Next they'll be dubbing that as well since that will be offensive to children.

9. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Class action lawsuit by all the Nippers in the world..... :)

10. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the video "Dambusters" released by Warner. In this the dogs name has been left as "******" so there is no reason for them to change it on the dvd is there.

cheers

11. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Of course there is. "******" is grossly offensive.

12. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    As the word is deemed to be offensive (and only then when in certain contexts), would you therefore wish it to be edited out of films such as Pulp Fiction?

Taken further should everything offensive to anybody be edited out of all films? Would any film be left untouched?

13. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sorry but I dont agree. If you have a dog that is black I dont see any harm in it. I cant be bothered with these politically correct people. get a life!! I did not take offence to my neighbours dog that was called whitey or my sisters cat that was called snowy. Its the same at schools these days, You cant use the word blackboard. Im sorry but I strongly disagree with any of that. Why should we change our lives and cultures to suite foreign people who choose to live here. I have nothing against them what so ever (except the french) but if they are offended by words like that they should not live in "white" countries. Soory for wandering away from the subject. I hiope they leave the word alone in the dvd. If you dont like it dot buy it.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not only is "******" the name of the dog it is also the codeword for a successful strike on the Dam.

So forget the films - why not just rewrite all of history so that no-one is offended.

A quick search on "Dambusters" and "******" came up with the following page.

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/database.htm

They have even changed someones name in case it caused offence.

15. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sort of thing really gets my back up. This country and certain people (do gooders)want to remember how many lives were lost fighting for freedom and if we had lost the war they would not be able to go around today telling everyone that ****** is an offensive word. Black Beard is right, why not just change the whole of our history so no one is offended. Maybe we should have let the Germans win the war so they were not offended too. ****** is a word in the dictionary and if you dont like it then its just tough. I will continue to use it to describe whatever I want. i hope warners think the same as me and leave the word alone.

16. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The difference between then and now is that nowadays we're more thoughtful and respectful of people's sensitivities - that's progress, I'd suggest. The word is certainly in the dictionary (described, incidentally, as "derogatory and offensive"), but that doesn't imply carte blanche to use it. The "c" word's there too: would you want to use that in everyday conversation?

17. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but the Dambusters was made nealy 50 years ago and like Black beard said. The word ****** was the dogs name and the code word for the dams breach. How can you change that. If you did the film would be incorrect. Even if they did change it everyone knows what the dogs real name was so whats the point. Its like making a film about the Titanic but changing the ending so the ship does not sink just in case somone who watches it lost a relative on board the real Titanic. I can see your point of not using certain words where there is no need to. I am quite happy to watch a film with no swearing in it. However if I watch say a gangster film like Pulp Fiction I would expect swearing coz gangsters dont go around saying "blimey" or "gee wizz" Same as if i watched a film about Clu Clux Clan or the American West I would expect the word ****** to be used. Same as I would expect it to be used in the Dambusters coz that was the bloomin dogs name. THERE ARE TOO MANY DO GOODERS IN THIS COUNTRY, No wonder there is no law and order.

18. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, this is an interesting debate and thank you Shaun for not resorting to the abuse that usually marks dissenting opinions on this forum! I would say the point about using "******" in, for instance, a Ku Klux Klan movie is that you're made to realise it's derogatory and therefore not to be imitated. By the way, a useless but interesting piece of information I picked up a couple of years ago - how the Ku Klux Klan name originated: it's supposed to be the sound of cocking a rifle!

19. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I just want the film to remain just the way it is. It's so good. Imagine rewriting literature (or film) to be politically correct. Why Huck Fin might ditch Jim in favour of a Chinese guy named Jimmy Woo or an Italian imigrant named Vito? GONE WITH THE WIND could end up GONE WITH THE TREND and a disclaimer that no brothers were harmed in the making of this film...! The white adults in Disney's SONG OF THE SOUTH are made out to be the butt-heads but somehow it's supposed to be P.I.? How? But maybe it could be changed to SONG OF THE CENTRE? How could you make a movie about Jackie Robinson or Ice Cube without the word ******. I think ****** started out to mean dudes from near the Niger River, that's all.
    Maybe, in the remake of AMISTAD we could have a boat load of French chourus girls escape from their cruel diesel dyke masters intent on selling them to brothels.

When Steve Martin's first movie, THE JERK, shows on non-premium TV here his dog is named Stupid. It just isn't the same! Don't ya'all think his skin should be air-brushed in dark? Let a sleeping dog ly I always say...

20. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agrewe with you on the point that the word "******" should not be imitated. ie calling somone it on the street. But I see no harm in it being used in a movie. Do you still think it should have been left out of the Dambusters even though it was based on real events?

21. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well said Rachel. I have just spoke to my dad on the phone about this. He was good friends with the jazz legend George Lewis from America. He told me that George hated the word ****** and what it stood for and since then my dad also does not like the word. But he agrees with me on the Dambusters point. You cant change history.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There should be no need to resort to any sort of abuse. If people cannot have a sensible discussion they should not frequent the boards.

As you rightly say, attitudes do change and we are more sensitive to others. That doesn't however mean we should try and change history.

In fact I would suggest that by being PC we can cause just as mush offence.

I play football for a local village team. We have one black player in the squad and we all have a laugh and a joke together. However the one thing that winds him up is when people call him non-white or coloured. He gets quite animated insisting he is neither. He is black, end of story. Being called non-white or coloured he finds most offensive.

23. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    History is supposed to be in stone, but lately somebody always seems to be chiseling on it.

24. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    How many dogs object to the name. Let's see a show of paws? Just as I thought no votes. Dogs love bacon!

25. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen loads of dogs and cats called "Blackie" I have never heard of any complaints. i remember in a MArx Brothers film. I think it was Duck Soup. Groucho says quote " the headstrongs married the armstrongs and thats why darkies were born" That film is shown here nearly every xmas and they have not bothered to change that. OR how about the Agatha Christie book that was titled "10 little ****** boys" It has now been changed to "10 little Indians" but everyone knows it as the first title.

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, its been changed again.

My wife subscribes to the Agatha Christie magazine which gives a book with every issue.

When that particular book turned up it was called...

"And Then There Were None"

27. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, the world has gone soft.

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have deleted this post.

It is one thing to have a discussion about racist language, but to bandy such words around the way Sarah did is quite unnecessary and offensive.

Please try and keep this discussion at least semi-intelligent.

Lex.

29. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The previous poster may just have been an uneducated troll...

But in case they werent - claiming "well they do it to us" as justification for using terms of extreme racial abuse shows an extreme lack of intelligence that is very sad.

Theres also something disquieting about the "bah bah blacksheep/ blackboard" jube that always emerges with such a debate. This is used to belittle those who are seeking to stop extreme racial abuse. Theres little doubt that the n word, used by a white person is extremely distasteful, and lumping those of us who object to it with "loony left" style Sun rantings doesnt exactly make for intelligent debate.

With regard to the Dambusters point - it does seem foolish to have made the change, as context is everything, especially when dealing with a "historical record" albeit a film designed to be entertainment.

30. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about "Blazing Saddles" I think that is one of the funniest films made. The word "******" is used about 100 times in it. AND it is not used as a dogs name either, It refers to Black people in the film. I do not like racial abuse but in the case of a film then it does not matter, its only fun. If you are black and are easily offended then dont buy the Dambusters or Blazing Saddles. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.