The Cycling Thread

they seem a decent brand canyon - saw some videos on their mountain bikes.. :)

wish my gps would do the amount i freecycled (cadence) as especially when I'm going downhill i freewheel a lot and would be interesting to know how much..
Do you use a cadence sensor?

Well done, that's a great distance especially in the heat.
It looks like it was nice at Thorpeness, I love sitting by that lake with a coffee and cake. Our caravan is just up the coast so I'm getting to know that area quite well now.
Yeah it’s beautiful there. I’m only down the road in Ipswich so it’s very local to me.

how fit do you need to be to do 20+ miles?

I've done a few over the last weekends...first one ended up 7 miles uphill and against the wind, last night was rushed and again uphill on the last 7 miles...

I'm 50 and just got back into biking a few months ago after a 9 year gap...but keep fit...but these 20 milers it's been hard, but not stopped much really, and not had much fuel wise, apart from 1 litre of drink...

what do i need to do better?

I've got a garmin edge 200 - that i use with garmin edge.. :) thanks to @aVdub :)

Never looked when I owned it, but am sure you cannot use a cadence sensor with the 200.

Again not an area I've checked previously, but a quick search finds cadence sensors that will work with smartphones.

Hi Guys
New to racing bikes so a dumb question
Can I buy just the brake/ gear levers on there own? Nothing wrong with them, just look a bit tatty. Don't want to buy the whole groupset
Bike pictured in post #12,994

Last edited:
Hi Guys
New to racing bikes so a dumb question
Can I buy just the brake/ gear levers on there own? Nothing wrong with them, just look a bit tatty. Don't want to buy the whole groupset
Bike pictured in post #12,994
Yes, have a look on wiggle, merlin cycles etc

how fit do you need to be to do 20+ miles?

I've done a few over the last weekends...first one ended up 7 miles uphill and against the wind, last night was rushed and again uphill on the last 7 miles...

I'm 50 and just got back into biking a few months ago after a 9 year gap...but keep fit...but these 20 milers it's been hard, but not stopped much really, and not had much fuel wise, apart from 1 litre of drink...

what do i need to do better?
Off road on an mtb is certainly harder than on road on a road bike. The hillier the harder etc etc. Just keep trying until it’s comfortable.

Off road on an mtb is certainly harder than on road on a road bike. The hillier the harder etc etc. Just keep trying until it’s comfortable.
Having done 100 miles on (Essex Sportive) and 100 miles off (South Downs Way) id also say off road is much harder

that said the riding position on a road bike can become uncomfortable after long long hours in the saddle; especially on the first few rides.

Having done 100 miles on (Essex Sportive) and 100 miles off (South Downs Way) id also say off road is much harder

that said the riding position on a road bike can become uncomfortable after long long hours in the saddle; especially on the first few rides.
Ever since you posted that link to the cube gravel bike I keep looking at it.

I’m planning on getting one when they’re back in stock and doing what you’re planning to and stick some road wheels and tyres on it.

the riding position isn’t as aggressive as most road bikes so hopefully more comfortable for me too.

Ever since you posted that link to the cube gravel bike I keep looking at it.

I’m planning on getting one when they’re back in stock and doing what you’re planning to and stick some road wheels and tyres on it.

the riding position isn’t as aggressive as most road bikes so hopefully more comfortable for me too.
yeah i think ill be doing the same if they have any stock come later in the year....that or maybe the Canyon I mentioned too.time will tell...have you been looking at any particular wheels at all?

yeah i think ill be doing the same if they have any stock come later in the year....that or maybe the Canyon I mentioned too.time will tell...have you been looking at any particular wheels at all?

Haven’t explored wheels yet, will rely on a friend who builds his own to recommend some. Will probably buy some used.

he thought the cube was a really good bike too.

which was the canyon would you mind sharing the link for that ?

Haven’t explored wheels yet, will rely on a friend who builds his own to recommend some. Will probably buy some used.

he thought the cube was a really good bike too.

which was the canyon would you mind sharing the link for that ?
of course

it was this one, the Grail 7.0

In truth I prefer the colour scheme of the Cube...but the spec on both seems good...Id certainly want the GRX600 with the dual front chainring as having ridden a single ring with my SRAM NX Eagle setup on MTB, gears soon run out.....and that's not good on a road bike

That said, shipping times on the Canyon bikes are horrific, al though I guess that can change

I'd highly recommend investing in a proper bike fit, you'll be amazed just what difference it makes to your position on the bike. I got a free one when I bought my Cervelo, it took almost 2 hours, but I have never felt uncomfortable on the bike.

of course

it was this one, the Grail 7.0

In truth I prefer the colour scheme of the Cube...but the spec on both seems good...Id certainly want the GRX600 with the dual front chainring as having ridden a single ring with my SRAM NX Eagle setup on MTB, gears soon run out.....and that's not good on a road bike

That said, shipping times on the Canyon bikes are horrific, al though I guess that can change

That’s a shame to hear about running out of gears on the single chain set up .I love the simplicity of it .
How many gears is your MTB?

I'd highly recommend investing in a proper bike fit, you'll be amazed just what difference it makes to your position on the bike. I got a free one when I bought my Cervelo, it took almost 2 hours, but I have never felt uncomfortable on the bike.
I'm not doubting that...but for many its a slight overkill...as I stated, this can be due to being an new rider....I've ridden 100 miles and not an ounce of pain..so a lot of it comes down to assuming the proper position when riding.

That’s a shame to hear about running out of gears on the single chain set up .I love the simplicity of it .
How many gears is your MTB?
the Eagle NX is 12 gears.....the easiest gear is just unusable in Essex where I live....it feels like I could ride up a normal wall it's so easy...to be honest, you only run out of gears when doing about 26 on tarmac...so it's very different on an MTB...especialyl as most off-road riding isn't going to see anywhere near these speeds.

That said I guess on a single chain gravel=/road bike, you could get a bigger ring to love the ratio up a little...but that could be a problem if you need lover gear when on trails.....this is why I want the GRX 600 with twin front chainring....YMMV

My trust Cube Peloton has Shimano 105 (which is basically what GRX600 is based on so I'm sure id be happy with it...

Looking again it doesn't look like the Nuroad SL Pro does have the twin charing option...so maybe it will have to be a CAnyon....that said I haven't looked about at much else yet

the Eagle NX is 12 gears.....the easiest gear is just unusable in Essex where I live....it feels like I could ride up a normal wall it's so easy...to be honest, you only run out of gears when doing about 26 on tarmac...so it's very different on an MTB...especialyl as most off-road riding isn't going to see anywhere near these speeds.

That said I guess on a single chain gravel=/road bike, you could get a bigger ring to love the ratio up a little...but that could be a problem if you need lover gear when on trails.....this is why I want the GRX 600 with twin front chainring....YMMV

My trust Cube Peloton has Shimano 105 (which is basically what GRX600 is based on so I'm sure id be happy with it...

Looking again it doesn't look like the Nuroad SL Pro does have the twin charing option...so maybe it will have to be a CAnyon....that said I haven't looked about at much else yet

here is a good quote from an article which I've linked below and I can agree with this on my MTB....

"At the other end of the scale, I find myself running out of gears on long, fast descents. If you want to pedal at over 28mph you have to spin at more than 100rpm in an 11-tooth sprocket. If you want to pedal at over 33mph you're looking at 120rpm, so I find myself just coasting more often than usual. If you're going to ride only on tarmac and unladen you might find many 1X systems under-geared."

I used to hit 36 on some of the longer tarmac downhills near me, 26-28 is the max I do now without my legs going like a cartoon character.... it's certainly not the end of the world on an MTB, but could be for road users....I guess you could have a different cassette on the road wheels to make up for this slightly but you'll still lose at either top or bottom end or both

Full article here, and the Cube is on there too

here is a good quote from an article which I've linked below and I can agree with this on my MTB....

"At the other end of the scale, I find myself running out of gears on long, fast descents. If you want to pedal at over 28mph you have to spin at more than 100rpm in an 11-tooth sprocket. If you want to pedal at over 33mph you're looking at 120rpm, so I find myself just coasting more often than usual. If you're going to ride only on tarmac and unladen you might find many 1X systems under-geared."

I used to hit 36 on some of the longer tarmac downhills near me, 26-28 is the max I do now without my legs going like a cartoon character.... it's certainly not the end of the world on an MTB, but could be for road users....I guess you could have a different cassette on the road wheels to make up for this slightly but you'll still lose at either top or bottom end or both

Full article here, and the Cube is on there too

Thanks for this , very helpful. I was set on a single chain set up but may need to reconsider .

Last edited:
Thanks for this , very helpful. I was set on a single chain set up but may need to reconsider.
id certainly try to test ride and have some energy that day......if you are the sort to often get up to 35+ on downhill sections, you might want a double chainring..

Hi
So I have these pedals. What sort of shoes should I wear with these? Got any links for the sort of thing I should be looking for please?

20200802_214211.jpg
20200802_214203.jpg

they look like shimano SPD's...and you'll need some SPD shoes...

I've never used them myself, but they're clip on shoe / pedal system, and they're not for everyone i don't think, so do some research before buying the shoes as you maybe better off getting some normal pedals..

example video here :)

They're dual use pedals, one side are SPD fitting and the other side is just a standard platform for using normal trainers or shoes.

As above SPD

They are great clip in as opposed to the SPD -SL because you can unclip by twisting you foot left or right, also by pull the foot hard

The SL model twists outwards

To gain confidence slacken the tension screw as it’ll make it easier to unclip, you can gradually tighten it

Best of luck, it improves pedalling efficiency and climbing hills easier

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom