The Cycling Thread

I mean.. it's bad, but the fact that it happened in such an all-encompassing way and that it's taking them so long to recover - that's the more shocking part for me.
I think many assumed /guessed that it was something like this rather than just a server outage or similar ...... in truth I’ve no idea how a company would deal with something like this

I think many assumed /guessed that it was something like this rather than just a server outage or similar ...... in truth I’ve no idea how a company would deal with something like this
Supposedly no information has been exfiltrated, it's just encrypted. Any disaster recovery plan is useless unless it's actually tested and rehearsed, so... let's wait and see!

Still not working via the phone, but able to upload all data from bike and watch using Garmin Connect desktop.

my phone app is still showing sever maintenance and hasn't updated since Thursday

garmin connect is back up now.. :)

and stats of yesterdays trip up :)

1595839857894.png

it came up for me then went back down again.....seeing others have been able to upload though so obviously moving in the right direction...can assume the system will strain for a while as everyone tries uploading activities since Thursday

yep, just done a refresh and got this -

1595853656624.png

I'm not sure if any data was lost or not (from their site) as when i connected up my device and sync'd it so guessing it would have sync'd everything anyway?

yep, just done a refresh and got this -

I'm not sure if any data was lost or not (from their site) as when i connected up my device and sync'd it so guessing it would have sync'd everything anyway?
Thankfully I haven't been out on any rides since last Tuesday, and I'm not overly concerned about my daily data from my Fenix 6 - although it would be nice to have.

Anyone ever made their own custom cassette by swapping out sprockets from other cassettes?

I ride an 11-28 (11sp) which is set up as 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28T.

Ideally I'd like to drop from 17t to 16t, then down to 15t. I'm happy to either swap the 11t for 12t, or drop from 13t down to 11t.

Any reason I can't just buy a 16t sprocket from here and make up my own cassette? Bike's running Di2 so not sure if that'll need reprogramming.

Anyone ever made their own custom cassette by swapping out sprockets from other cassettes?

I ride an 11-28 (11sp) which is set up as 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28T.

Ideally I'd like to drop from 17t to 16t, then down to 15t. I'm happy to either swap the 11t for 12t, or drop from 13t down to 11t.

Any reason I can't just buy a 16t sprocket from here and make up my own cassette? Bike's running Di2 so not sure if that'll need reprogramming.
Yes i make my own custom cassettes, mainly for my lad (12 year old) and i have done a few for myself.

I mainly use Miche cassette parts as they are all individual (even the last three) but the link you have suggested should work as it is only one cog swap out.
You can make a really nice block out of 11 speed tailored to what you ride, as i went to a 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-20-22-25-28 which makes the flats great as the one teeth change from 12 through 18 helps to really dial your cadence in, 25 and 28 the main climbing gears with 20 and 22 picking up the slack on slight inclines or tired legs. I run a semi-compact crankset so 36/52.
My sons (due to BC gearing rules) is 16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-25-27-29 which he likes as he can fine tune his cadence also.

I understand why you want to do it as for me unless i am descending big and long i am not using a 52/11 for any length of time - if at all, and the gears around 17-19-21 for the riding i was doing was either too easy on the 19 or a little too grindy on the 17 so 17-18 really works for me. I swap out cassettes on my DI as it either has the rear wheel or is on my trainer and i might have to fine tune the rear mech slightly but this is a whole different cassette so one cog should not make any difference.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It's only a small outlay for the single sprocket (rather than £170 or so for a Dura-Ace equivalent which has a 17-16-15 set-up) but good to hear it shouldn't cause any problems.

I'm also using 36/52 upfront, it's reasonably flat round these parts and I spend most time around 85rpm cadence on 17t, but need to push to 90rpm+ to not drop below 80rpm switching to 17t. If the 16t works as I hope it does, will likely get a few more sprockets and swap out the lower end as I can't see me needing anything more than 52/12.

Appears to be making a return.
Slowly. At 5.30am this morning everything appeared to be working OK, then by 9am is was back to 'down for maintenance' and my watch wouldn't sync with the app :(

yeah i think they are bringing a selection of users back on bit by bit to not overload their systems.

I've been able to upload via the website without issue BUT my phone app has never changed from the standard maintenance disclosure

Managed a cheeky 50k off road ride after dinner tonight. My fastest yet by 5 minutes and even managed a Strava Local Legend.

3B3EEDBD-19D5-4E3A-81C5-4A1415E34142.jpeg

Need to cover another 96k in the next two nights to get this months 600k Strava Challenge (so will be evening rides) but should be doable. One will certainly be a road ride anyway.

Hi

Just bought a second hand Wilier bike. Its a bit old and battered but I just wanted it ( second hand market is nuts)

Anyway just wondered if any of you guys had your bike professionally painted? If so how much please?

Is it worth it?
What do you do about the decals?

Last edited:
Hi

Just bought a second hand Wiler bike. Its a bit old and battered but I just wanted it ( second hand market is nuts)

Anyway just wondered if any of you guys had your bike professionally painted? If so how much please?

Is it worth it?
What do you do about the decals?
I remember as a teenager respraying my bike myself.

Just remove everything, decals and all, prep the frame/fork, prime and paint.

You should be able to get new decals

Fairly straight forward

As an update to powder coating I've been in contact with a local place and received this reply back.

Our guide price to shot blast and powder coat your bike frame is £50

As an update to powder coating, I've been in contact with a local place and received this reply back.
I like the sound of that, would love mine in matt grey. Whereabouts was this...did they specify how much you need to strip things down....do they prime and then powder coat...consdidering how much I've spent on near gearset, this would finish things off nicely

As an update to powder coating I've been in contact with a local place and received this reply back.

That seems pretty good, certainly cheaper than I expected.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom