The Cycling Thread

Looking forward to this lot turning up :)

Groupset.jpg

nice ride out... :)

1592942612159.png

1592942633004.png

1592942649501.png

1592942661507.png

1592942672113.png

cheeky 50K tonight as the weather was so nice....

Love my MTB rides but sometimes a road ride is just perfect

So now I am thinking of ditching my existing road bike and buying a gravel bike and a set of wheels for the road for an easy switch out.

Currently thinking either Cube Nuroad SL or Canyon AL 7.0, preferably with the GRX600 groupset as im used to the gearing on the road ride

Then I could sell my current Cube road bike which also has upgrade Campag Zonda clincher wheels on it...and that would soften the blow slightly on the new bike and wheels...and leave me with two bikes for all year round riding in all conditions

If anyone has any other suggestion on bikes in that sort of price rangw (around £1500) then I'd be all ears

cheeky 50K tonight as the weather was so nice....

Love my MTB rides but sometimes a road ride is just perfect

So now I am thinking of ditching my existing road bike and buying a gravel bike and a set of wheels for the road for an easy switch out.

Currently thinking either Cube Nuroad SL or Canyon AL 7.0, preferably with the GRX600 groupset as im used to the gearing on the road ride

Then I could sell my current Cube road bike which also has upgrade Campag Zonda clincher wheels on it...and that would soften the blow slightly on the new bike and wheels...and leave me with two bikes for all year round riding in all conditions

If anyone has any other suggestion on bikes in that sort of price rangw (around £1500) then I'd be all ears
Don’t forget the cycle 2 work scheme if you are buying a new bike.

Not sure my gaff does it but will of course look into that before a purchase

Ours has just opened, and the company have doubled the purchase value this year to £2000 :eek:

at mine it is £4000 :)
o_O o_O o_O I thought we were doing well at 2 grand!

I might need to investigate to see if you actually need to buy a bike on the scheme, or if you can just buy some wheels - a nice set of Zipps would look :cool: on my Cervelo

I might need to investigate to see if you actually need to buy a bike on the scheme, or if you can just buy some wheels - a nice set of Zipps would look :cool: on my Cervelo
It's a tricky area. A mate spent £4k on just a frame, so can't see why you couldn't buy wheels if you have a frame already.

I'm not even going to say what our maximum is (it's very, VERY dangerous) - could easily accidentally order a Di2 Cervelo... :blush:
But yes, I've yet to find a store that won't happily sell you wheels, kit, etc without a bike in exchange for a Cyclescheme voucher.

Deep clean finally done yesterday, swapped the wheels, realigned the brake calipers. Truly stuck as to what I could still upgrade :blush: (oh woe is me)

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_193439.jpg
    IMG_20200623_193439.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 57
Deep clean finally done yesterday, swapped the wheels, realigned the brake calipers. Truly stuck as to what I could still upgrade :blush: (oh woe is me)
That's a cracking looking bike :smashin:

How do you find the Hunt wheels? I've looked at them in the past and they might be a better (and cheaper) option than Zipp/Roval.

I need to be careful though, as the tyre/frame clearance I have on the S5 is pretty damn tight.

I'm not even going to say what our maximum is (it's very, VERY dangerous) - could easily accidentally order a Di2 Cervelo... :blush:
But yes, I've yet to find a store that won't happily sell you wheels, kit, etc without a bike in exchange for a Cyclescheme voucher.
More than my £4K?!?

That's a cracking looking bike :smashin:

How do you find the Hunt wheels? I've looked at them in the past and they might be a better (and cheaper) option than Zipp/Roval.

I need to be careful though, as the tyre/frame clearance I have on the S5 is pretty damn tight.
Only managed to have the first ride yesterday, a short ~16 miles. The freehub sound is insane, and the wheels sound like a bunch of humming monks on the road at speed...

To be honest my "old" wheels were already pretty good - hand built Pacenti Forza Disc, Hope Pro 4 hubs, CX Ray spokes, with the same tubeless tyres - so the improvement could never have been huge in the first place. But yes I do notice a difference at more than around 20mph, although there's the cross-wind to think about too! Build quality etc are so far great, so they do have a lot going for them, and are probably way better value than Zipp / Roval overall.

I'm hazarding a guess at around £7-£8k?
:blush:

Only managed to have the first ride yesterday, a short ~16 miles. The freehub sound is insane, and the wheels sound like a bunch of humming monks on the road at speed...

To be honest my "old" wheels were already pretty good - hand built Pacenti Forza Disc, Hope Pro 4 hubs, CX Ray spokes, with the same tubeless tyres - so the improvement could never have been huge in the first place. But yes I do notice a difference at more than around 20mph, although there's the cross-wind to think about too! Build quality etc are so far great, so they do have a lot going for them, and are probably way better value than Zipp / Roval overall.
Cheers for this, these are definitely a set of wheels I need to consider.

I know what you mean about deep rim wheels and crosswinds, I've had several sketchy moments with mine - and they're only 32mm deep!

I know what you mean about deep rim wheels and crosswinds, I've had several sketchy moments with mine - and they're only 32mm deep!

Not idea how wheel design works but I've got 55mm hoops and I've been surprised how stable they are in crosswinds. To be fair, I don't go out riding if the wind's up (that's kitesurfing weather :D ) but on the odd occasion I've been caught out, as long as I've got a decent pace on, they're fine.

PPciger.jpg

Had some old aged moron try pull to pull me off my bike (by grabbing my arm) as I rode past him yesterday. I always give. People on foot lots of space and like to think I’m a genuinely polite rider so this guy was just being an arsehole. I was not happy as you can imagine.

Wheelie excited about these, although due to various courier mess ups and wrong axle ends being sent it's taken more than three months to actually get them... I'll hopefully have time to clean the bike tomorrow, change the brake pads, swap the wheels and go for a short ride.
They look very nice indeed. If you don’t mind me asking, how much?
I do like a nice “sounding” wheel and hub.

If I do end up with a decent gravel bike, a set of road wheels like this would be great

They look very nice indeed. If you don’t mind me asking, how much?
I do like a nice “sounding” wheel and hub.

If I do end up with a decent gravel bike, a set of road wheels like this would be great

I don't mind at all, pricing is pretty obvious from the website anyway - rrp is £1,289, plus another £150 or so for cassette and discs; once you put that through Cyclescheme it takes the sting out a bit. A word of warning though - Hunt don't to Cyclescheme directly (yet - I've heard rumors that they're looking into it), and they don't let resellers ship their wheels to end users. So you'd ideally need to find a local reseller that does Cyclescheme/etc and that you can pick up from.

Had some old aged moron try pull to pull me off my bike (by grabbing my arm) as I rode past him yesterday. I always give. People on foot lots of space and like to think I’m a genuinely polite rider so this guy was just being an arsehole. I was not happy as you can imagine.
Stupid old goat, I hope you gave him some choice words. What was his issue?

I'm the same, always slow down for people/dog walkers/horses etc., am always polite and always say thanks when I ride past. I really do try to improve the bad rep some cyclists give the majority of us.

Stupid old goat, I hope you gave him some choice words. What was his issue?

I'm the same, always slow down for people/dog walkers/horses etc., am always polite and always say thanks when I ride past. I really do try to improve the bad rep some cyclists give the majority of us.
I did indeed. Certainly gave him a piece of my mind. He even try to explain he was also a cyclist and was therefore airing his concern.

I ended up just holding his arms whilst he was trying to flair them about.

Not idea how wheel design works but I've got 55mm hoops and I've been surprised how stable they are in crosswinds. To be fair, I don't go out riding if the wind's up (that's kitesurfing weather :D ) but on the odd occasion I've been caught out, as long as I've got a decent pace on, they're fine.
Nice wheels! Mine not quite as deep..........

Cervelo_01.jpg

I ride in South Lanarkshire, and South Cumbria where the wind never seems to abate. I've had a few - genuinely scary - moments where the wind has caught the wheels. Always managed to stay upright though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom