The Cycling Thread

You will find they are half price somewhere all year round. They may as well just say that is the RRP.
There is a minimum spend at Wiggle though.
Picked up a load at £1 a tube during lockdown and Home Bargains or similar.

Inportant spelling error corrected

I just did 12.8 miles. The last bit I was riding along at about 10 mph and my front wheel popped! Not a nice experience! I'm just glad I wasn't going faster! :thumbsup:

I just did 12.8 miles. The last bit I was riding along at about 10 mph and my front wheel popped! Not a nice experience! I'm just glad I wasn't going faster! :thumbsup:
I had something similar happen last summer on my road bike......happily, I was screaming down a hill doing about 35...then slowed for a tight corner and the tyre popped going slowly up a hill...

could have been nasty

I had something similar happen last summer on my road bike......happily, I was screaming down a hill doing about 35...then slowed for a tight corner and the tyre popped going slowly up a hill...

could have been nasty
I managed to do the 12.8 miles, but my bike was acting really weirdly all along!

I managed to do the 12.8 miles, but my bike was acting really weirdly all along!
If you haven't already I'd go over your bike and make sure something hasn't worked itself loose, go over your wheels, the handlebars, cranks etc. and see if there's any movement where there shouldn't be. Crashes caused by a part coming loose or failing can be particularly bad since they're so unexpected.

I couldn't find it earlier but I think the price has gone up slightly and pretty sure it was this one:

It's eight speed rather than seven speed like many others are at this price so more choice for upgrading the drivetrain and it has disc brakes, only mechanical but gives an option to upgrade later if needed.

The other one he looked at which is 1x9 with hydraulic brakes was this voodoo:

He asked his son which he wanted and he wanted the vengeance because he preferred the colour :D
Hi @Johnmcl7

Thanks for the advice from your friend. Ended up getting the 15" Voodoo as was bigger than i thought so no need to delve into the world of adult bikes yet!

Throughout my days of road cycling, two UK budget online brands have been around, Planet X and Ribble.

You’d see a lot of Planet X bikes around, but only the occasional Ribble (mainly their Alu Audax)

But the last couple of years, Ribble have stepped it up a gear, getting great reviews with a number of their bikes.

This week they have opened a showroom in Bristol:

When a lot of shops are closing and going online only, it’s interesting to see bricks and mortar opening. Makes complete sense IMO, gets the brand visibility, you get to see the bikes, and have somewhere to go to make sure you buy the right size.

Ha, I've just come back from Bristol....

I've also got a CGR725 which I love. My first non-MTB. I use it to commute, go on gravel rides, and longer road rides. Can't fault it.

I noticed they have increased their advertising recently, I saw they had ads on the Tour dFrance this year.

Some pretty good deals going around at the LBS atm with a few drops of almost £400 on some 2021 models. One being a nice carbon Marin I sat on yesterday and a few £00's off of Norco's

Popped into a local Trek dealer and spoke about the Slash 8 and he was saying many 2022 models will not be hitting the store until March 2022 and the stock will be limited.

Might be worth checking if you are thinking of a new bike in a month or two as these might not be on the shelf as in previous years and if you miss the slot, this dealer was talking about the following Autumn for the next deliveries.

I've also got a CGR725 which I love. My first non-MTB. I use it to commute, go on gravel rides, and longer road rides. Can't fault it.

I noticed they have increased their advertising recently, I saw they had ads on the Tour dFrance this year.
I’ve got a CGR725 on order for the last few months. Hoping it becomes my everyday bike rather than relying on a road and mountain bike combo.

From what I’ve read it’s basically a road endurance setup but with large tyre clearance. Looking forward to it coming and trying to get some winter miles in!

I popped in the showroom yesterday (daughter wanted to go shopping, not me!)

I was impressed with both the Endurance and CGR ranges in all frame materials - all very well finished, and really look premium.

If I was in the market for a do it all bike I’d definitely have the CGR SL/Ti (or 725) on my list.

It's my second one after the first was pinched, they unscrewed the street furniture to get it!

This time I went 1x SRAM to get hydraulic brakes which are way better than the mechanical disk on the price equivalent Shimano spec.

If it wasn't for the rain today I'd be doing my tubeless setup in prep for autumnal bridleway rides 😁

I've never gone tubeless before, but have been watching a few videos in anticipation of the Ribble coming and giving it a go

Thanks Chewie...

I've never gone tubeless before, but have been watching a few videos in anticipation of the Ribble coming and giving it a go

I resisted it for ages but its actually a lot easier than I thought.

The final straw was getting a puncture about three miles from home after a long ride, stopped and repaired it but obviously didn't do a good enough job and had to stop again half a mile later and do it again 😖 no more tubes since then.

Although I still carry a spare tube just in case.

Thanks, after looking into it I discovered I had one clipped into the side of my car pump with the other adaptors. :facepalm:

OMG, don't make the same mistake I did. I was in a similar situation with no standard tools, karma came straight at me for not being prepared so I soon regretted this!

My wheel got caught on a large rock when riding and gashed my back tyre. I had to walk an hour down this path to get home. It was a painful and dreaded walk to say the least but I did manage to find a good article on the way down on what to buy encase you forget something important. cyclemaintenanceacademy.com/blog/cycling-essentials. Who knew we had to carry spare bike tools? Not me obviously.

I have 3 allen keys which I take with me, I accept anything else that renders me unable to ride means a walk home.

I have a saddlebag with two Pedros tyre levers which in my experience are the best, a multitool and 2 inner tubes. I also have a pump attached to the bike.

That's enough to fit a tube or make adjustments to cables.

They're mentioned in the article above but I'd highlight having chain quicklink/powerlinks which can be really handy.

I have a little backpack I take with me which I like because it makes it easy to switch between bikes as I just need to change the inner tube*. I like to carry a lightweight jacket in case it gets colder or wet plus a pair of arm warmers, a very thin lock (just to stop someone walking away with the bike) and a cereal bar. I have the usual range of tools with a pump, multi-tool, tyre levers, inner tube, pressure gauge and quicklinks.

* A few years ago I was doing a summer ten hour endurance race on the rigid fat bike and it was a fairly technical course mostly going straight up then long downhill sections which were giving my shoulders and hips hell since they were doing most of the work. With the big tyres on the fat bike tyre pressure is a fine balance but I opted to run a bit lower than I should and was getting the odd rim strike but I figured at worst I have an inner tube with me if needed. Thankfully no punctures but the next week when I went to switch the inner tubes for the road bike I found instead of the colossal fat bike inner tube I was expecting it was a tiny little road bike tube I'd had the whole time which would have have been laughably useless for the fat bike.

That race relegated the fat bike back to a winter bike only where it excels and gave me the push to go for a 29+ hardtail for the summer.

I have 3 allen keys which I take with me, I accept anything else that renders me unable to ride means a walk home.
And I bet you’ve walked home very few times 😊

If you are on the road all most people need is a multitool, spare tube and puncture kit (with tyre levers). Have a pump on the bike and if you want to be a bit more kitted up take another spare tube.

Regardings clothing, arm warmers and/or rain jacket stuffed into your jersey is more than enough.

Under no circumstances take a rucksack if you have a road bike with dropped handlebars, it’s not a roady thing to do.

I’ve never snapped a chain, so would recommend only fitting decent chains and not bothering with a spare link.

In the event something dreadful happens, walk to a bike shop if one is open, or get a taxi 😊

I'm a fan of being prepared, and there are a surprising number of inventive ways to be tooled up with minimal fuss, such as quick release under seat bags, bottle tool kits or bar end toolkits.

I do use a ruck sack occasionally, road or MTB. I don't give two hoots what I look like 🚴

I'm definitely in the be prepared camp, especially as most of my riding is off road, no bike shops or taxis available there... 😉

Still wear backpack on the road as well, can't say I really notice it's there. I'm definitely not a roadie type though, I wear baggy shorts on my gravel bike 😄

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom