The Cycling Thread

SNOOORRRRR
This insurence malarky is taking its time.
I expected the Personal Injury Claim to go on a bit but the replacement of my bike?
DWP have sent the certificate stating the insurance don't have to pay them anything (i ain't on any benefits)
I have finished physio.
I have given them links and price valuations for all the items that need replacing.

I just want to get back out there.
Doesn't help that the Canyon Endurance AL 6.0 i was eyeing up (if they can't find my original bike anywhere) has gone up in price.
I asked if they were still selling the 2016 versions (all bikes now have a 20017 badge) got told no but the 2016 & 2017 are exact specs.
I asked why the price increase then?
"Due to the depreciation of the £ they have had to put their prices up"

Bloody Brexit..........

The Canyon £ pricing ripped UK customers off to start with, they cost several hundred less in Euros.

Hi - does anyone know the difference between the Mavic Aksium Elite range and their regular non-elite version? Is it just the tyres? Ta

Has this been posted? not sure if real

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

http ://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a10_1472677239
I think it has - quite possibly real, bicycles are a lot lighter so it's easier to throw them around corners. You do need to be good at it though and not get unlucky, otherwise it'll be quite painful...

Any idea what might be the problem? From both of my pedals come an audible (quite loud) click when pedaling. The stronger pedaling, the more clicks there are, ie when going flat I get one click per revolution per pedal, when climbing it goes up to 2-3 clicks per revolution. It sounds like a click / creak. I usually ride with music on, so it is not that bad then, but when I ride with my son, with no music on, the issue is very annoying. Any idea what it might be?

Any idea what might be the problem? From both of my pedals come an audible (quite loud) click when pedaling. The stronger pedaling, the more clicks there are, ie when going flat I get one click per revolution per pedal, when climbing it goes up to 2-3 clicks per revolution. It sounds like a click / creak. I usually ride with music on, so it is not that bad then, but when I ride with my son, with no music on, the issue is very annoying. Any idea what it might be?

That would usually be the bottom bracket, but it's one of those things that is a nightmare to trace - if it doesn't happen when there's no load, then it's almost impossible to trace even if you put the bike on a workstand. Could also be the saddle post / saddle, if they're slightly loose they often sound like they're clicking. I also get it from what seems to be my pedal, but I've given up trying to figure it out since it doesn't seem to actually be a problem; it could just be the SPD cleat / pedal interface that has some dirt in it, who knows..

That would usually be the bottom bracket, but it's one of those things that is a nightmare to trace - if it doesn't happen when there's no load, then it's almost impossible to trace even if you put the bike on a workstand. Could also be the saddle post / saddle, if they're slightly loose they often sound like they're clicking. I also get it from what seems to be my pedal, but I've given up trying to figure it out since it doesn't seem to actually be a problem; it could just be the SPD cleat / pedal interface that has some dirt in it, who knows..
I suspected bottom bracket at first, but after spending some time trying to pinpoint it (hard when, as you say, it only happens under load), I am fairly confident it comes from both pedals. The sound is also fairly loud and very annoying :D

I plan to take both pedals off and see if I can see anything, if not it might go to LBS for a check. I thought I'll ask here first though, before I start taking it apart :)

PS I have flat pedals

My road bike does the same, i'm certain it's the pedals. I've taken apart and regreased BB, chain rings, everything is torqued up correctly, but when I'm putting a bit of extra power down for uphills or a burst of speed I get clicking each revolution.

Given up worrying about it now, life's too short.

Just tell yourself you're putting SO MUCH power down, that you're causing the metal to creak. Well done! :D

How is your 9km September climbing event on Strava going? I don't think I'm going to make it. Only have 800m+ so far and it has been raining here pretty much every day this week (I have managed only one ride this week so far).

so after a good natured moan to Canyon, due to them increasing the price of their 2016 model AL 6.9 from £799 to £999 (they couldn't absorb the costs any more at £799, so increased the last batch to £999), and not being particularly taken with the new 2017 model (now £899) the guy said that they do have a large AL 5.9 2015 model in their UK building (just literally a place where a few old bikes are stored).

this one had been used for a magazine photo shoot, ridden a little and thats it. i have seen pics and it all looks good, a few wear and tear signs, but nothing major at all.

the spec is as follows:

make of that what you can.

bottom line is, they are willing to sell me this model for £489 + delivery of £48, or i can go pick it up myself.

thoughts on the spec and bike for that money? is there anything to be worried about as the bike has presumably just been sat there for 2 years? will oil need changing in the brakes etc? will suspension need a service at all? talking of suspension, how good is that fork? the 30 gold solo air?

cheers.

Last edited:
/\ For £489 I'd snap that up!

Not a good idea to ride with headphones in which I assume you mean when you say you ride with music. People running or riding like that in my experience are a menace to all around them.

so after a good natured moan to Canyon, due to them increasing the price of their 2016 model AL 6.9 from £799 to £999 (they couldn't absorb the costs any more at £799, so increased the last batch to £999), and not being particularly taken with the new 2017 model (now £899) the guy said that they do have a large AL 5.9 2015 model in their UK building (just literally a place where a few old bikes are stored).

this one had been used for a magazine photo shoot, ridden a little and thats it. i have seen pics and it all looks good, a few wear and tear signs, but nothing major at all.

the spec is as follows:

make of that what you can.

bottom line is, they are willing to sell me this model for £489 + delivery of £48, or i can go pick it up myself.

thoughts on the spec and bike for that money? is there anything to be worried about as the bike has presumably just been sat there for 2 years? will oil need changing in the brakes etc? will suspension need a service at all? talking of suspension, how good is that fork? the 30 gold solo air?

cheers.
Just give it a good checking over when you've got it as few photo shoots could have been ridden like it's stolen by heavy handed reviewers.

I suspected bottom bracket at first, but after spending some time trying to pinpoint it (hard when, as you say, it only happens under load), I am fairly confident it comes from both pedals. The sound is also fairly loud and very annoying :D

I plan to take both pedals off and see if I can see anything, if not it might go to LBS for a check. I thought I'll ask here first though, before I start taking it apart :)

PS I have flat pedals

Whilst you're taking both pedals off and regressing/copper slipping them I'd check that your crank bolts are tight as well.

Not a good idea to ride with headphones in which I assume you mean when you say you ride with music. People running or riding like that in my experience are a menace to all around them.

Could you please tell me why do you think this is the case?

Whilst you're taking both pedals off and regressing/copper slipping them I'd check that your crank bolts are tight as well.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Due to not being able to hear what is around them so oblivious to what is going on around them. Had a few near misses as I pass someone with headphones in due to them suddenly moving out even though I have called to say I am passing. There is a reason why headphones are illegal when driving a car and the reasons are even stronger when on a bike.

Due to not being able to hear what is around them so oblivious to what is going on around them. Had a few near misses as I pass someone with headphones in due to them suddenly moving out even though I have called to say I am passing. There is a reason why headphones are illegal when driving a car and the reasons are even stronger when on a bike.

Perhaps we might be more relaxed when the speeding text replying car driver hits us and be more relaxed due to listening to music hahaha :p

I myself ride with headphones playing music when riding on paths and other area's free from cars and have the volume down enough to enjoy the music and to be alert to sounds around me. I find I am more alert when listening to music and will add that I will not have earphones in on the road.

No worse imo than Brad and Chlamydia driving around in their Nova, with the sub banging out 120 decibels.

Exactly that. You are allowed to listen to music in your car, are you not?

I think your point is valid, PSM, but I can assure you that there are ways to ensure that you are aware of your surroundings while listening to music when cycling.

Here is a short list of how to achieve that:
1. Have your eyes open.
2. Don't put your music too loud.

Besides, if somebody swerves around a road / cycle path without having a look back before, then he / she is not a good cyclist and it does not matter weather they listen to music or not. They will always be a danger to others anyway.

Best advice for cycling is the same as for driving, always assume that any other driver / road user is either blind, stupid or reckless (or all above).

Not wanting to sound preachy but the person who is texting when driving will use similar arguments to justify that it is safe for them to do so. To them they will think it is safe because they do it different to others and hence it will not be unsafe. Unfortunately my experience suggests otherwise with headphones and bikes/runners (and that is on cycle paths too since we have a fair amount of them around me). Obviously you are free to do what you want but just giving my perspective on it.
On a similar vain, headphones are banned from most if not all races (running and cycling) and I do find it funny the number of people (especially runners) moaning about this and saying they can not run without music. If you are going to be entering races then train without music if it is such an issue come race day!!!!
I would also suggest that the cars with the very loud music are also a menace at times (I also think there is something in the highway code about having music too loud in the car as you need to be able to hear emergency vehicles behind you).

Not wanting to sound preachy but the person who is texting when driving will use similar arguments to justify that it is safe for them to do so. To them they will think it is safe because they do it different to others and hence it will not be unsafe. Unfortunately my experience suggests otherwise with headphones and bikes/runners (and that is on cycle paths too since we have a fair amount of them around me). Obviously you are free to do what you want but just giving my perspective on it.
On a similar vain, headphones are banned from most if not all races (running and cycling) and I do find it funny the number of people (especially runners) moaning about this and saying they can not run without music. If you are going to be entering races then train without music if it is such an issue come race day!!!!
I would also suggest that the cars with the very loud music are also a menace at times (I also think there is something in the highway code about having music too loud in the car as you need to be able to hear emergency vehicles behind you).
Let's agree to disagree. No point arguing about it.

All I can say is that I have been cycling with music on pretty much all my life. I am quite aware of what is happening around me when I do and I don't swerve around the road pointlessly and without checking my back first.

You can be the safest rider on the planet, but there are still dangers out there that are out of your control (like an idiot or drunk car driver).

I also cycle with music on, well on my 45 minute commute I do anyway.
I don't have the music so loud that I can't hear cars coming from a far, and I also have a small rear view mirror in my glasses so can easily do a little sideways glance to check the road behind.

However most of my route is on quiet country lanes, with only the last mile uphill on a more main road.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom