The Cycling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
again that sounds great, but how come still a massive difference between a hybrid (which is faster than a MTB) and the road bike?

Plus what are you going to do, change tyres everytime? Carry knobbly and inner tubes when you park next to off road site? Then change back to road tyres?

Have another set of wheels? Carry them with you on a ride?

It really depends what you are going to use the bike for doesn't it? Imo, an MTB and by that I mean a decent XC MTB (not a downhill jobby), has less compromises in more areas. You can ride it on the road (albeit less efficiently we get that), you can ride it off road, you can throw it down hills off-road, you can beat some single track, you can toddle along with the kids around the park. Fitting some lower profile tyres is the quickest way to make it more 'road-friendly' without a great deal of expense.
A road-bike can only be ridden on the road. (Of course if you only ever ride the bike on the road then get a road bike.)
A hybrid can be ridden on the road, and off-road to a certain extent (albeit less efficiently that an MTB) and it's far less fun off-road.

.... and I haven't mentioned a cyclo-cross bike, which is another do-it-all option with a greater leaning to the road-side.

Edit: Must learn to type quicker, apologies for cross-posts.

Last edited:
Could you not say the thing about cars? a 2 seater sportscar isn't going to be able to carry a fridge, yet people buy them because they're fun to drive and suited for the job.

Otherwise everyone would just have 4x4's.

Sebastalona said:
The point's you make are totally redundant though, as I assume most people who have a MTB actually use it off road. They don't buy it primarily for road cycling.

900+ posts in this thread, and yet you consistently fail to grasp this point.

The 'resistance' you talk about is just not as prevalent as you make out. If it's windy, you stop??

From reading your posts Berties, it seems to me that you feel you have some air of superiority over other bike users. It's pretty overbearing sometimes, so I'm going to gracefully unsubscribe from this thread.

Dont do that, just block Bertied...volia, no biased and overly complicated crap to read

Ummm, sorry to divert OT... just thought i'd encourage you chaps to keep aware in the cold weather.

Yesterday going down the bus lane: three motorcycles, a cyclist, then myself; a car moving slow indicated left, then started to turn. Nothing wrong with the manoeuvre, rush hour traffic, plenty of warning, and all the motorcyclists slowed, but the cyclist in front just rode straight into the side of the car!

I'm guessing he just wasnt watching, as it was totally obvious to everyone else, or maybe he thought he could jump thru before it turned (like the red light he jumped 300m previously). End result was a broken bike and bloody knee, but could have been so much worse.

Stay safe chappies :smashin:

as I assume most people who have a MTB actually use it off road. They don't buy it primarily for road cycling.

I communte to work on a MTB at the moment

Won't get another one when this breaks

Ummm, sorry to divert OT... just thought i'd encourage you chaps to keep aware in the cold weather.

Yesterday going down the bus lane: three motorcycles, a cyclist, then myself; a car moving slow indicated left, then started to turn. Nothing wrong with the manoeuvre, rush hour traffic, plenty of warning, and all the motorcyclists slowed, but the cyclist in front just rode straight into the side of the car!

I'm guessing he just wasnt watching, as it was totally obvious to everyone else, or maybe he thought he could jump thru before it turned (like the red light he jumped 300m previously). End result was a broken bike and bloody knee, but could have been so much worse.

Stay safe chappies :smashin:

Unfortunately, some cyclists do give us that try to ride properly a (sometimes deserved) bad reputation. Very sad.

Edit: Sorry, don't want to come across as callous about the cyclist, hope he was OK.

Dont do that, just block Bertied...volia, no biased and overly complicated crap to read

Yeah probably best, if his best opinion you can come up with "if it's windy you stop" :rotfl: Is this the MTB cyclist view?:facepalm: No talking to people like that really.

Granted if it's hurricane speeds you don't go out. I overtook a MTB last time it was raining he looked miserable, he was wearing jeans and no mudguards wet head to toe. Me on the other hand with full length guards and wearing waterproofs. Comfy ride despite being torrential rain lol. Do MTB'ers stop riding when it's raining too? LOL.

Berties said:
Yeah probably best, if his best opinion you can come up with "if it's windy you stop" :rotfl: Is this the MTB cyclist view?:facepalm: No talking to people like that really.

Granted if it's hurricane speeds you don't go out. I overtook a MTB last time it was raining he looked miserable, he was wearing jeans and no mudguards wet head to toe. Me on the other hand with full length guards and wearing waterproofs. Comfy ride despite being torrential rain lol. Do MTB'ers stop riding when it's raining too? LOL.

No, I was referring to your previous post when you said when you rude a MTB and it is windy you virtually stop.

My post was questioning whether this was actually the case, or that you may be exaggerating just a smidgen.

Go and have another read......

My point being you do feel slowing down, it's like holding a umbrella when walking - when a gust of wind hits you. Obviously you don't just stop lol, but constant gusts eventually get to the point where hardly moving for the effort involved. Do remember riding on same windy day, went home then went onto road bike, big big difference.

Not saying get a tri bike but the difference in body angle does make a big difference. Also if you cycling with mate with one on MTB another road bike, both are at the same speed then both stop pedalling, the road bike will continue moving for much further until both stop.

Overall just feel road/tourer gives a more pleasant ride, I've done twice the miles on a road bike and felt fine, yet on MTB tired, and far more sweaty. Hated doing 24 miles on a MTB yet 60 felt the same.

Road bikes eat miles up and you actually like going on a ride, on a MTB it feels like a chore.

Not off road they don't, which is everyone elses bar yours point. MTB riders in this thread are quite aware they are ineffcient on the road as compared to a road bike, stop banging on about it.....it VERY, VERY DULL!

My point being you do feel slowing down, it's like holding a umbrella when walking - when a gust of wind hits you. Obviously you don't just stop lol, but constant gusts eventually get to the point where hardly moving for the effort involved. Do remember riding on same windy day, went home then went onto road bike, big big difference.

Not saying get a tri bike but the difference in body angle does make a big difference. Also if you cycling with mate with one on MTB another road bike, both are at the same speed then both stop pedalling, the road bike will continue moving for much further until both stop.

Overall just feel road/tourer gives a more pleasant ride, I've done twice the miles on a road bike and felt fine, yet on MTB tired, and far more sweaty. Hated doing 24 miles on a MTB yet 60 felt the same.

Road bikes eat miles up and you actually like going on a ride, on a MTB it feels like a chore.

I get it, I really do. But why do you keep banging on about it? You've made the same points over and over again.

In an earlier post, Lucas mentioned in the first sentence of his post that he does not have the money for a second (road) bike, yet your reply was to tell him to go and try one, then give a link to a £500 bike!

It's exactly what we have come to expect :suicide:

lol

I think the only advice I can give in this thread from now on is to not listen to Berties. You are on a world of your own mate.

All this rubbish about not being able to ride MTB's on the road is rubbish anyway. I rode to the south of France on a MTB last October. All on the roads.

In fact i have just noticed that thank goodness this thread has nearly 1k posts, we can now start a new one and put that past few pages behind us :)

Hurry up then... :laugh:

I'm closing this and starting a new one.

Berties, in the next thread if you feel the need to endlessly harp on about your bikes, give overly complicated and frankly on occasions, poor advice then please be aware that I will simply delete your contributions.

There are plenty of cycling forums on the internet where you can have a good rage at the MTB "idiots" who use them on the road, this isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom