The Cycling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WD40 isn't a lube btw. It's not suitable for lubing a chain

thanks. take it that his lube isnt the same as bicycle oil.. or is it?

Sometimes you need to do that (fully clean and regrease) as chain wears lube becomes paste of metal particles and lube so acts as a abrasive. So you do need to fully remove the old lube and relube the links.

Once it's upto a point I use chain bath, drop of lube on each link, rotate. Otherwise rag on top and bottom and spray along the lengh.

WD40 is a water displacer.

Bicycle oil is a bit too sticky for chain. Using some motorcycle spray on lube it's similar to finish line dry but you get a huge can for the same price. Same motorcycle lubes are waxy/heavy but this seems good.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Go into a motorcycle shop and ask, like I said some are too thick.

This the same one for 19.99 delivered? could be tempted to buy as a pair if so.

Continental Travel Contact Tyre | Evans Cycles

700 x 37 ,no c after 37 if that means anything?

Looks like these tyres ome wi good quaty innertubes. Is this the norm when buying new tyres?

Yep, they're the same ones as I've had. Good price too, and they'll fit fine on your wheels. :thumbsup:

Most places sell tubes with tyres, even if you don't need them right now it's always worth having a couple handy. Tape one to the frame or seatpost and buy a mini pump if you've not already got one - if you've not got quick release rims, always take a spanner that'll get the wheels off if needed.

You can also buy inner tubes (or fill yourself) with slime, when you get a puncture it seals itself. Have filled my tourer and trailer tyres with it. Won't know it's worked until I replace the tyres.

That place tyres with kevlar strip inside the tread should help overall.

Good idea about he spare innertubes. Ive had a couple punctures recently so put a spare in my backpack along with spanner.

Had to do a change on the back wheel on way to work the other day. Nut on one side of the back wheel is wearing. Might need to look for a replacent.

Havent bought them yet, need new brake pads also. Total comes to £51.
Now im wondering if i shouldnt just get a new bike... probaly the investment. There are a few about in he sales around the £220 - £300 mark.
Quite like the look of that single gear one someon pointed out earlier in this thread, although i tink the frame size at 16" is too small fo me as im 6ft and therefore probably need a 20". decisions decisions...

Yep, they're the same ones as I've had. Good price too, and they'll fit fine on your wheels. :thumbsup:

Most places sell tubes with tyres, even if you don't need them right now it's always worth having a couple handy. Tape one to the frame or seatpost and buy a mini pump if you've not already got one - if you've not got quick release rims, always take a spanner that'll get the wheels off if needed.

If you're 6' probably looking at 21/22"?

Single speed/fixie very nice type of bike...better be prepared for what you're buying.

Maybe look for Alfine hub bike?

I'll have to find out what my current bikes frame is. Give me an idea at least.

Currently i tend to use only one gear.. not too many big hills on my work route, but mainly because i need to try and sort the gears out and apart from viewing a couple videos on youtube and haveing a quick try i havent made much progress.

That Alfline hub looks good, but a bike with that maybe out of my price range.

If you're 6' probably looking at 21/22"?

Single speed/fixie very nice type of bike...better be prepared for what you're buying.

Maybe look for Alfine hub bike?

Last edited:
Subway 8 is £400. Nice but basically MTB, would prefer it on flat bar road bike/drop bar road bike, tourer or audax.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Problem is I'd want BB to be removed prior to purchase..if it's seized you're got a big problem.

It also frees rusted parts.

Either way I'd bin the chain and buy a new one, a rusted chain can be weakened and you don't want a chain to snap...happened once on me luckily going slow but could wrap around spokes..

It's OK, it's got one of those ugly plastic disks to protect the spokes... ;)

More seriously, thanks Berties :thumbsup:

I'd also change brake inner cables as they go brittle once weather gets to it...had two snapped cables, went into back of car and then hit a bush at high speed.

Thanks again Berties :thumbsup:

Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful replies and tips.

Gave the bike a general clean today and fixed punture. Had a test run to make sure i wasnt going to have any problems on way to work tomorrow, and everything seems fine. Will be talking to a friend at work about motorbike gel for the chain, in mean time am using bike oil.

Looking forward to fitting the new continental tyre and break pads, hopefully should keep me going puncture free for a while. Will be getting same tyre for front in a couple weeks.

At least the bike is cleaner and less oily. Im going to have a read up on pedals, cranks etc...

also if it's been outside for long period I'd also take out bb and put anti seize on threads, take out all bolts and put copper grease on the threads. Take rear derailler jockey wheels fully clean and relube. Check seatpost, lube up with lithium grease, check headset that fork steerer hasn't welded to headset. Use a torque wrench and follow recommended torque settings.

btw using wurth high performance dry motorcycle spray lube, around 700l for about £8. Way cheaper than bicycle lube.

well good news is my bikes alot cleaner and i have lubed the chain..
bad news... back wheel is severely buckled and has one spoke snapped, and im pretty sure i need a new 'bottom bracket' or new bearings.. not sure how this works.

Anyone point me in the direction of a bargain back wheel (size 700c), bottom bracket?

starting to wonder if i just need a sturdier new bike....

Do you have Shimano or Campagnolo freewheel?
What type of bottom bracket? There are loads, from make to axle width, italian or english thread, BB tube size, from square taper, ultra torque, BB30/BB90, external cup, ISIS, Truvativ.

pixelpidgeon said:
well good news is my bikes alot cleaner and i have lubed the chain..
bad news... back wheel is severely buckled and has one spoke snapped, and im pretty sure i need a new 'bottom bracket' or new bearings.. not sure how this works.

Anyone point me in the direction of a bargain back wheel (size 700c), bottom bracket?

starting to wonder if i just need a sturdier new bike....

Not much help now but if you are talking about changing stuff like BB and wheels it would probably be better in the long run to scrap it and get a decent second hand bike.

If BB and wheels etc are showing their age then the rest of the bike won't be far behind. Does your employer run a cycle to work scheme?

BB's are cheap so not hard to replace however like you said usually on a bike once BB is shot say 15 years of use everything else may need replacing ie shifters, hubs etc all worn.

But if they're not BB are cheap, if it's Shimano a decent UN54 taper BB is about £13-£18. Not expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom