The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did our London to Paris 250 miler (3 days) over a week ago now, and most of all I'm quite impressed that overall I really was okay - no real muscle pain / sores, etc other than the unavoidable frequently numb behind. The importance of drinking and eating regularly became very clear on that ride... But also how much I can actually put my body through without it giving up. The Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres (700x25) I'd put on before the ride behaved very well, the padded bibs helped - overall a very good ride.

The only problem is I have a slightly painful tendon or whatever it is at the bottom of my left calf (I finished the last 15 miles or so pretty much on one leg and under Ibuprofen), and it's not really going away. I haven't really rested it that much, I guess I'll see how it goes for another week or so before worrying about it.

Can anyone recommend some decent mtb tyres ?
I would say I ride 60% tarmac 40% xc.
My tyres at the moment irc 26 x 1.95 to fit hb 575 rim.

On my rims it says 559 x 17 - 317 disc.

Budget is about 15 per tyre or less.

Or something like this: Continental x King MTB Tyre - 26 x 2.2 Black | MTB Off-Road Tyres

Look for tyres that say they roll fast or have low rolling resistance (helps on the road). Sizewise you could probably go bigger, say up to 2.2 easy. Size is not the issue with going faster on the road, more the compound and size of the knobblies + tyre pressures. High PSI in any tyre will help you roll faster on the road, but trades grip off-road.

Can anyone recommend some decent mtb tyres ?
I would say I ride 60% tarmac 40% xc.
My tyres at the moment irc 26 x 1.95 to fit hb 575 rim.

On my rims it says 559 x 17 - 317 disc.

Budget is about 15 per tyre or less.

I use Schwalbe Hurricane semi-slicks. Good MTB tyres for road use, and Kevlar lined for anti-puncture. They should be in your budget.

We did our London to Paris 250 miler (3 days) over a week ago now, and most of all I'm quite impressed that overall I really was okay - no real muscle pain / sores, etc other than the unavoidable frequently numb behind. The importance of drinking and eating regularly became very clear on that ride... But also how much I can actually put my body through without it giving up. The Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres (700x25) I'd put on before the ride behaved very well, the padded bibs helped - overall a very good ride.

The only problem is I have a slightly painful tendon or whatever it is at the bottom of my left calf (I finished the last 15 miles or so pretty much on one leg and under Ibuprofen), and it's not really going away. I haven't really rested it that much, I guess I'll see how it goes for another week or so before worrying about it.

Just a good old fashioned well done!:thumbsup:

Really tempted to give it a bash.

Well I bought one of those Bikecharge Dynamo gadgets for charging my iPhone but I can't get it to fit. There just doesn't seem to be enough room between the front fork and hub and it rubs on the spokes when the wheels turn. Looks like I'll be popping it in the classified later :(

sergiup - well done from me too. Would love to have done a ride like that. :)

Well I bought one of those Bikecharge Dynamo gadgets for charging my iPhone but I can't get it to fit. There just doesn't seem to be enough room between the front fork and hub and it rubs on the spokes when the wheels turn. Looks like I'll be popping it in the classified later :(

It's now in the classifieds if anyone is interested CLICKY

:(

Or something like this: Continental x King MTB Tyre - 26 x 2.2 Black | MTB Off-Road Tyres

Look for tyres that say they roll fast or have low rolling resistance (helps on the road). Sizewise you could probably go bigger, say up to 2.2 easy. Size is not the issue with going faster on the road, more the compound and size of the knobblies + tyre pressures. High PSI in any tyre will help you roll faster on the road, but trades grip off-road.

What is the 2.2 measurement ? Also what are Michelin tyres like ?

there seems to be some good discounts at chain reaction
michelin mtb | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com

The ones i think look decent for my needs are these
Michelin Mountain Dry 2 Reinforced Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
the only thing is it says 26 x 2.3, would these fit my rims?

Thanks

Looking for some lights for my commute (getting darker!).

I just want some brightish "be-seen" lights, not some mega light up the whole road type.

I really like the design of the little Knog Silicone type lights, easy to put on off but they are not bright enough, but fine as backups, and rechargable (via USB?) would be nice.

Anyone recommend some?

I just want some brightish "be-seen" lights, not some mega light up the whole road type.

Good 'be seen' lights will light up the whole road, that's why you will be seen :smashin:

I use a Lenser P7 and handlebar attachment along with two Lifeline minis up front, then another Lifeline mini and Blackburn Mars 4 at the back.

I see Strava has a piece in the latest Cycling Plus.

John

I really like the design of the little Knog Silicone type lights, easy to put on off but they are not bright enough, but fine as backups, and rechargable (via USB?) would be nice.

Anyone recommend some?

Just seen these on hukd. Hawking 120 Lumen Front Rechargeable With 1/2 Watt Led Rear £34.99 Was £99.99 at JeJames - Hot UK Deals
Wouldn't mind them myself but just bought some tyres, don't think the misses would be pleased if I bought these aswell.

Anyone wear an HRM when cycling ?

I have a Polar HR monitor (i have had it for the past 7 years or so) and if i am on my bike without it (i sometimes forget the chest band) i am at a loss. I use it quite a lot when cycling as if i am going up a hill and i see my HR at a certain point, maybe lower than max, then i know i can push a bit more etc, okay you can feel your own body but it is strange sometimes. I find that sometimes i feel as though i am pushing hard but the HR is not too high or as high as i think other times my HR is blowing up all over the place yet the legs feel good - strange really :)

As sad as i am i also have this data since i got the HR monitor in 2005 on the Polar software on my PC :rolleyes::D

Just received a bike maintenance stand that I bought from Leisure Pursuits on Amazon for about £48 delivered. It's rock solid and holds my Boardman Hybrid bike as steady as a rock. Brilliant for the money :)

However, I don't do 1000 miles a week on my bike so I don't think I'm qualified to give my opinion on here. Please take my comments as coming from someone who is a complete numpty. :)

EDIT: It is this one CLICKY

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Anyone recommend some?

You don't say how much you are willing to spend but last winter I bought some MagicShine MJ872 lights (front & rear) and for the money they're absolutely brilliant.
Low power is plenty for commuting and high power is great for night rides through the local woods, scares the crap out of the doggers :D

I am talking £30ish.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I went for the front one, it looks like a powerful light, cheap enough.

Fighting the strong urge to buy a fixie at the moment. I live in a very hilly area, which means it should be totally unsuitable. But there is something appealing about it.

I don't want a fashionista one with flat bars etc.The Specialized Langster or revolution track bike have caught my eye.

Fighting the strong urge to buy a fixie at the moment. I live in a very hilly area, which means it should be totally unsuitable. But there is something appealing about it.

I don't want a fashionista one with flat bars etc.The Specialized Langster or revolution track bike have caught my eye.

Two of the guys I go mountain biking with have single speed (not fixed however) and they swear by them for non too severe steep hilly rides. They use them all the time round south derbyshire as its relatively flat, relative compared to north Derbyshire.

It is something that has never appealed to me tbh but I can see the attraction for them.

Two of the guys I go mountain biking with have single speed (not fixed however) and they swear by them for non too severe steep hilly rides. They use them all the time round south derbyshire as its relatively flat, relative compared to north Derbyshire.

It is something that has never appealed to me tbh but I can see the attraction for them.

I'd get one with a flip hub, they have a freewheel on one side and a fixie on the other, so you can switch between the two. I believe that riding fixed does wonders for your riding, as you're forced to keep good cadence and not freewheel.

I also quite like the idea of the super light weight and mechanical simplicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom