The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of getting the B'Twin Triban 3 soon, but it out of stock in giant size. What's the difference between the normal red one that's raved about and the 3 A, in white (which I prefer the look of but seems to have non shimano bit and bobs so maybe not as good a deal?)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

I'm normally a mtber so know little about road bikes.

Edit: had a bit of a google and main differences are steel fork rather than carbon (not too worried, still only 900g) and these Microshift gears, which I've heard zip about. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Micro shift are a new cheaper alternative to Shimano and Sram and Campag. Personally at the lower price range I would stick with the very functional easy to maintain Shimano.

I would also take a carbon fork over steel, its obviously lighter, but it will also make for a more comfortable ride as it will filter out the vibrations.

Got one of those stands last week, still haven't it out of the box though, looks very good though

Weathers been that bad barely been able to leave the house. Snow was / is unbelievable. Roads closed everywhere and electricity out. I love the spring time :-(

Got one of those stands last week, still haven't it out of the box though, looks very good though

Weathers been that bad barely been able to leave the house. Snow was / is unbelievable. Roads closed everywhere and electricity out. I love the spring time :-(

This bad weather is really getting to me, depressing :(

I was supposed to go mountain biking in the Lakes Saturday but no chance. Damn shame as I was looking forward to it as well.

The roads around my way seem pretty clear for the most part. Managed to get out tonight, well cycled from work to home so a quick 22 miles. Will hopefully do the same tomorrow to keep trying to get those base miles in. Can't wait for the warmer weather as I have hardly done any proper hill work this year and with the C2C beckoning I am starting to get a little concerned.

I've decided to do my bike up and made my mind up on the forks, opted for the rockshox recon golds for 180pounds. Thing is they are 15mm axle so I'm looking for a new set of wheels for around 150.

Can anyone recommend a set?

I need 15mm front & QR on the rear, 26", 6 bolt rotors.

I've decided to do my bike up and made my mind up on the forks, opted for the rockshox recon golds for 180pounds. Thing is they are 15mm axle so I'm looking for a new set of wheels for around 150.

Can anyone recommend a set?

I need 15mm front & QR on the rear, 26", 6 bolt rotors.

Superstar are worth looking at, little over budget though - Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

Thinking of getting the B'Twin Triban 3 soon, but it out of stock in giant size. What's the difference between the normal red one that's raved about and the 3 A, in white (which I prefer the look of but seems to have non shimano bit and bobs so maybe not as good a deal?)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

I'm normally a mtber so know little about road bikes.

Edit: had a bit of a google and main differences are steel fork rather than carbon (not too worried, still only 900g) and these Microshift gears, which I've heard zip about. Any ideas?

From what I've read, the 5a is a closer replacement to the 3 than the 3a.
Value for money wise the 3 is miles ahead of the 3a.

I personally ordered a 5a last week through cycle scheme.

From what I've read, the 5a is a closer replacement to the 3 than the 3a.
Value for money wise the 3 is miles ahead of the 3a.

I personally ordered a 5a last week through cycle scheme.

Bugger, I'm trying pay sub £300 not £400 :)

I'll wait and see if the red 3 comes back in stock 1st.

I was supposed to go mountain biking in the Lakes Saturday but no chance. Damn shame as I was looking forward to it as well.

The roads around my way seem pretty clear for the most part. Managed to get out tonight, well cycled from work to home so a quick 22 miles. Will hopefully do the same tomorrow to keep trying to get those base miles in. Can't wait for the warmer weather as I have hardly done any proper hill work this year and with the C2C beckoning I am starting to get a little concerned.

I lost a lot of fitness through my leg break, expected to be fit by now, but it just aint happening, best I have managed is several rides to and from work (about 4miles!) and the turbo trainer... come on my bike today and there is snow outside, in bad weather I normally go mountain biking, but they places I would normally go are covered in snow.

have you tried your local store? Everything was showing as sold out in 57cm frames last week but I rang up my local store (Coventry) and they had a few in.

Cheers, been looking at these but also been looking at people's bad experiences with superstar and the build quality of the wheels.

Generally they are very good, but the odd one sneaks through can be a poor build.

In the end I opted for the £1000 voucher for the C2W scheme. They arrive in May ... so I will have another look around then at pre-built options and whatnot. If I spend under the amount, I can use the 'change' for equipment etc, but additionally, I can top up the value of the voucher and retain ownership still (some companies don't allow this, luckily ours does).

There are a lot of options out there ... I'm still totally at a loss really!

Generally they are very good, but the odd one sneaks through can be a poor build.

Ok so im thinking of going for these but the ones i would like (flow in black) are sold out.
i have 26x 2.30 tyres will the crests be ok and are they still able to take a beating not being as strong as the flows?

have you tried your local store? Everything was showing as sold out in 57cm frames last week but I rang up my local store (Coventry) and they had a few in.

My local store is 60 miles away, and I don't have the cash just yet anyway, but I will check when ready. ;-)

Ok so im thinking of going for these but the ones i would like (flow in black) are sold out.
i have 26x 2.30 tyres will the crests be ok and are they still able to take a beating not being as strong as the flows?

What weight are you kitted up - and what kind of riding do you do?

Generally the crests are fine, people seem to suggest if doing some serious riding/battering of the wheels then you need flows but for general XC stuff unless your very heavy, crests will be no trouble.

booyaka said:

Generally the crests are fine, people seem to suggest if doing some serious riding/battering of the wheels then you need flows but for general XC stuff unless your very heavy, crests will be no trouble.

I'll second that. Crests are really good strong rims. Having seen your bike the Flows are definately overkill in regards to the strength of the frame, headtube. They are much more into the 'all mountain' territory which Your bike is not really designed for. I.e. dropping off rocks etc.

Robothamster said:

Hi robothampster. You might know this already but I have the red triban 3. It is a great bike but it does have some limitations. The frame is pretty solid which makes the ride harsh at the back especially on the stock 23 mm tyres. I wouldnt personally want to have an aluminium fork on it. I recently fitted a cheap carbon seatpost and it made the world of difference to comfort. Now I have carbon on the front and back which really helps smooth out the ride of the harsh frame.

Tyre clearance is tight. With 23 mm tyres there is only one or two full mudguards that will fit the bike. Getting the rear wheel out is also tricky with 23mm tyres so If you want to put 25 mm tyres on for comfort they will go on but at the expense of a full mudguard and you will have to deflate the rear tyre to get the rear wheel out of the frame.

The saddle is pretty crap and probably an instant upgrade for many riders.

The gears work well but the 2300 shifters can only shift into a lower gear at the back when you are on the hoods because the downshift button is on the hood.

I havent seen the complete spec for the newer 5a triban but it has better shifters with a lever that can be operated from the drops also. It also looks like it has a better saddle ( could still be crap though.) I think it also has a full Sora groupset. I.e. better rear mech rather than the 2300 one I have ( not that I have had any problems tbf). You also get a 9 speed cassette over 8 speed and what looks like a full Sora chainset ( i think but am not sure ) over the no name btwin jobber on my bike.

Obviously price matters but I would say if you could stretch to the triban 5a certainly over the 3a you will get a much, much better bike. A much better ride and a more versatile and better quality gear system.

Getting the 5a over the red 5 is a harder decision to make but I would personally like the added features after riding for a few months. Especially the better shifters and extra gear at the back. The red 5 is about as good a value a bike as I think you will ever see on the market. Probably a one off to be honest. however the 5a is still an absolute market leader in value for money.

P.s. i dont know how tall you are but if you go for the 51 size frame or below. The wheel size drops to 650b size

Im about 11stone kitted up. Mostly commuting, canals and trails. Thing is i know probably crest will suit my bike & needs but i really want peace of mind that my wheels are going to last at least 4/5 years even if i hit some big roots or pot holes.

I know if the flow were available in black, i would of already bought them.

Hi clc.sheff.

Cheers for that. The 3A has steel forks, not alu so comfort shouldn't be an issue as steel is very good at absorbing road buzz. (I had a Giant FCR 3 with steel fork but foolishly sold it when didn't have room, that was plenty comfy for 50+ mile rides)

I'm more concerned about the budget gear train. I'd not even heard of this brand before.

Saying that I'll probably either wait in hope that the red 3 comes back in stock (guess unlikely as seems to be phased out) save more for the 5A (need to also save for other stuff which wife counts as more important) or keep browsing 2nd hand market.

I'm 6'6" so need the largest size they do.

Im about 11stone kitted up. Mostly commuting, canals and trails. Thing is i know probably crest will suit my bike & needs but i really want peace of mind that my wheels are going to last at least 4/5 years even if i hit some big roots or pot holes.

Crests all the way. You'll have no issues and they will be absolutely fine. No point in getting flows as they are heavier and totally unnecessary for you.:smashin:

I use my Crests around Cannock Chase, Sherwood Pines etc, with drop offs, jumps, and generally going like a nutter, we are roughly the same weight, and they have been fine so far - touch wood. I also used them in the peaks.
What hubs you going for, I have mine built with hope hubs. You could also go for stronger spokes as these would give before the rim.

Robothamster said:
Hi clc.sheff.

Cheers for that. The 3A has steel forks, not alu so comfort shouldn't be an issue as steel is very good at absorbing road buzz. (I had a Giant FCR 3 with steel fork but foolishly sold it when didn't have room, that was plenty comfy for 50+ mile rides)

I'm more concerned about the budget gear train. I'd not even heard of this brand before.

Saying that I'll probably either wait in hope that the red 3 comes back in stock (guess unlikely as seems to be phased out) save more for the 5A (need to also save for other stuff which wife counts as more important) or keep browsing 2nd hand market.

I'm 6'6" so need the largest size they do.

Didn't realise they were steel forks which is not so bad. You will also get a bit more flex out of the frame than I would too.

P.s. At 6' 6" If we ever go out on a ride bagsy the sunny side!

I use my Crests around Cannock Chase, Sherwood Pines etc, with drop offs, jumps, and generally going like a nutter, we are roughly the same weight, and they have been fine so far - touch wood. I also used them in the peaks.
What hubs you going for, I have mine built with hope hubs. You could also go for stronger spokes as these would give before the rim.

They will be superstar switch EVO hubs. See ill be tearing round the chase at some point and also round the peaks when I get some free time so good to know yours are holding out. How long you had them?

I'm pondering now if I want white or black rims. I think black but wouldn't mind a change. What's peoples thoughts?
IMAG1158_zpsda80355b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom