The Cycling Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may have seen my posts in the previous thread about my restoration of a Gios Torino Super Record.

Well all the bits are finally here and the great rebuild will begin tomorrow. I'll post pics as I go.:)

I really need another project, I used to do one every year when I was younger, simply because I'm a fair weather cyclist and it gave me something to do in the winter!

Some of you may have seen my posts in the previous thread about my restoration of a Gios Torino Super Record.

Well all the bits are finally here and the great rebuild will begin tomorrow. I'll post pics as I go.:)

Looking forward to seeing these, you did a great job with the repaint. Do you think you will be able to source / produce the decals which are on the bike in the link you posted?

Looking forward to seeing these, you did a great job with the repaint. Do you think you will be able to source / produce the decals which are on the bike in the link you posted?

I have done.:D

I've got the full set for an 80's Super Record including the columbus tubing stickers etc. I've even got the rubber o rings for the brake adjusters and a rather nice period Selle San Marco saddle in white.

Even if I do say so myself it's going to look amazing. :)

I look forward to seeing the finished item, Dave. Have you tried it for size yet to see if its suitable for you?

I have done.:D

I've got the full set for an 80's Super Record including the columbus tubing stickers etc. I've even got the rubber o rings for the brake adjusters and a rather nice period Selle San Marco saddle in white.

Even if I do say so myself it's going to look amazing. :)

It certainly is:thumbsup:

Did the person who gave it to you have it from new? I would imagine it would be quite exciting seeing it again fully restored.

Have you tried it for size yet to see if its suitable for you?

Yeah the standover height is very tight indeed but it's fine thankfully.

It certainly is:thumbsup:

Did the person who gave it to you have it from new? I would imagine it would be quite exciting seeing it again fully restored.

The person I got it from inherited it from her Brother who died a while ago, it's obviously got some sentimental value for her as she kept it for all this time. I can't wait to show her when it's all done.

Berties, in the next thread if you feel the need to endlessly harp on about your bikes, give overly complicated and frankly on occasions, poor advice then please be aware that I will simply delete your contributions.

In that case you lot can figure it out yourself.

Figure out how to get things wrong? Sure that'll be easy enough to do.

In that case you lot can figure it out yourself.

After reading what you called MTB riders in the now closed thread I really hope you will allow us to do so and please can you go and do one :smashin:

I too am going through a retro build, or will be going through one in the coming weeks.

First a bit of history about my bike;
I purchased a Gary Fisher Montare back in 1996 to go off road with my friends. It took a fair bit of hammer as we were younger back then (and therefore felt invincible) so did a lot of crazy things. We stopped mountain biking around 1998 and the bike just sat in my parent's garage for a few years until my mate wanted a bike for commuting so I gave him this. I then pretty much forgot about it until the other month we were in the pub and he said he was thinking of taking up biking again but wanted a Hybrid and if he brought a new bike did I want my old GF back? I was totally surprised that he still had it. He said it had been sitting in his shed for the past few years and only used now and again as the shocks were gone.

Since i have got it back i have put it into a state that i can use it off road, which i mainly do on a Tuesday night.

I have also purchased some period parts for the build - circa 1995/96, I have a set of Rock Shox Judy SL & XC to replace the current Q21R, XT front mech, LX hubs and Mavic 231 rims, XT cassette, XTR cantilevers, NOS Dia Compe brake levers, Ritchey Saddle, amber wall tyres. I also have a set of decals being made from the originals. Once i get these i will strip and powder coat it then rebuild. I just need to source a new front crank, current one is okay, but i am after a period LX or XT crank set. I will post pics of the build once it gets moving. I already have before pics as it is in a bit of a state.

There is quite a big scene for retro builds which i was unaware of until i started the process of restoring my old bike :)

I too am going through a retro build, or will be going through one in the coming weeks.

There is quite a big scene for retro builds which i was unaware of until i started the process of restoring my old bike :)

Have look here for retro bike parts

Got an old Proflex 856 that I'm tempted to build up this year. Its well out of date, but was great fun when built up.

I remember drooling over the GT team LTS back when i was riding a claud butler that weighed a tonne

Id like to get one now

Have look here for retro bike parts

Got an old Proflex 856 that I'm tempted to build up this year. Its well out of date, but was great fun when built up.

Thanks I am a member there and I go out with the east midlands guys most Tuesday nights, it is where I fit most if my parts and knowledge from :)

I used to always want a pro flex my mate had one and they looked great, still look good now IMO.

Last edited:
Think it's time I get my bike out again. Not been in ages and i'm feeling unfit. Trouble is here, It's too much hassle going in the summer because of all the walkers. Oh well, better put the tractor tyres on and get out in the mud. (yes off-road! Sorry!)

I went to have a look/test ride on a Trek pilot today and bought it :D
First road bike I've had since teens, and wow what a difference now. Took it for a ride and its very light and very fast(to me), chuffed to bits with it.
Now if the snow thaws I can get to ride it ;)

Anyone use Strava for tracking their cycling?? Just wondering as I've started using it recently and it's pretty good for setting up challenges etc.

Cyclemeter for me.

Cyclemeter is great, one of the only negative things about switching to Android last year was loosing that app since there isnt an droid version and all the droid ones Ive tried have been poor in comparison. Can anyone recommend a good droid app. I dont mind paying, Im currently using B.iCycle which is ok but lacks a lot of features compared to cyclemeter.

Big update on the restoration of my Torino, it's finished.:thumbsup:

Had a nightmare with the lacquer running and melting the stickers so one side of the seat tube looks a right mess but overall I'm quite pleased with it.

My advice to anyone restoring a bike is don't bother with lacquer, it's never going to be easy from a can as it sprays uneven and the finish is now in my opinion worse than the paint was on it's own but hey ho, I'm not rubbing it down and starting again.

I also wish I'd have got a new saddle too, the one I bought is great but as the rest of the bike is gleaming the saddle makes it look tatty in my opinion.

Just need some decent weather to get out on it now.

Anyway, here's a load of pictures. Please excuse the quality of them, I always like to take my bike shots outside but it's pouring down.

P.S, I know the brake block needs adjusting.;)

Gios Torino Super Record Campagnolo Shifters by Dave W, on Flickr

Gios Torino Super Record Seat Tube by Dave W, on Flickr

Gios Torino Super Record Drivetrain by Dave W, on Flickr

Gios Torino Super Record Rear by Dave W, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom