The Crown Season 4 (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Started this last night and I agree. The performances are excellent. Anderson is fantastic as Thatcher, the rest are just as good. For me, probably cos this season started the year I was born, it feels much more relevant and relatable.
Compelling viewing.

Binged the first 5 episodes yesterday, it's great. The picture quality on my LG oled in HDR is absolutely stunning as well!

I watched the first episode of the fourth season and really hope it gets better - at least it couldn't get much worse. All the earnest dialogue between the characters made me sick. Worse, it all felt out of character. And every scene with Anderson I was seeing Gillian Anderson playing Thatcher playing Thatcher's theatrics - a bit disturbing, and killed any remaining suspension of disbelief.

Last season of Game of Thrones vibes.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. It’s superb.

I liked it but I do think it was one of the weaker seasons of the show.

I've never watched any previous seasons and really knew nothing about it. Thought I'd give the first ten minutes of this first new episode a look to see what all the hype is about. Very unexpectedly, I got completely hooked and have already watched the first six episodes. There's a very funny moment where Charles delivers a line that seems to be a clear mirror of one of Andrew's (many) ridiculous lines in his infamous interview.

Thanks for the review. This is probably one of the reasons we might finally plump for a Netflix subscription.

Although it's possibly been ruined for us as I'd read elsewhere that...
Liz dies at the end! :eek:

(This is a joke for any concerned royalists out there!)

6 seasons...? I'd read they were cutting it at 5 and that was en extension from the originally planned 4.
I hope 6 is right by the way. I haven't started this yet but hopefully will be this evening.

Thanks for the review Cas.

I love The Crown, from the production, excellent acting and soundtracks I listen to regularly and all looks amazing in DV.

I still can’t get used to Colman, she is an amazing actress (Tyrannosaur / The Favourite), but I just see Colman, for some reason with Foy I could only see Elizabeth....
Interesting comment above saying they can only see Anderson, while I only see Thatcher, fussy lot we are :)

Ive only watched ep1 of season 4, it was a great start (bar the horse jumping audience - looked like cardboard cutouts - maybe a Covid workaround). It’s a period I grew up in, so politically more interested.

It will be interesting to see if I can cope with the season 5 cast changes :)
Glad to see Martin Phipps remains as this seasons composer, ep 2 tonight !!

Last edited:
Would one care for a cucumber sandwich? Ears..

6 seasons...? I'd read they were cutting it at 5 and that was en extension from the originally planned 4.
I hope 6 is right by the way. I haven't started this yet but hopefully will be this evening.

Yup, they talked about only 5 seasons at the start of the year - not enough stories to tell or some nonsense that probably equated to budget concerns - but then almost immediately u-turned and went back to the original plan of 6 years.

It's always been about a decade a season, and I think they're looking to take us into the noughties and, to be fair, it sits better with a new cast doing two seasons. If they were just going it 5 seasons, I'd have voted for Colman and Menzies taking us across the finish line, but if you're going to introduce Staunton and Price, it'll take them the best part of a season to settle in anyway.

Love it, so far watched eps 1-3 + all the previous 3 seasons, as I am 68 it's like your life passing before your eyes. The cinema photography/sound/ acting is all top draw for a tv series. You can see where the money has been spent.

Watched the first two episodes of this season, it’s brilliant however the wife pointed out where is Prince Edward? Don’t think he’s even been mentioned.

Must admit this hasn’t been on my radar at all previously but with all the good reviews this has been receiving I finally succumbed and started from season 1. So I will get to Season 4 eventually lucky for me that at the moment apart from Fridays I have some time to catch up - George

Watched the first two episodes of this season, it’s brilliant however the wife pointed out where is Prince Edward? Don’t think he’s even been mentioned.

I guess he's at boarding school in Scotland per Charles, and narratively, it makes little sense to repeat that story arc, particularly when it doesn't go anywhere this time around. There's just not much to say other than his getting into Oxbridge on C/D A-levels and dropping out of the Marines (who paid for his education??) much to the chagrin of his dad (GC Marines). It may be that they just skip over him instead, and have a brief nod to a happy resolution of his sidelining in the form of the fact that his dad's title will eventually revert to him...

Gillian Anderson is only highlight for me. As kid of 10 during that era I can relate to most of it. Gillian as Thatcher to a "T"

Half way through...so far.
The highlights for me are not family but the way they show the political arenas at the time....

Gillian Anderson as Thatcher is incredible. What a performance.
If I close my eyes I would swear Maggie is back from the dead...:eek:

Fantastic!!

Two episodes into S4. Not as good as the earlier series. Seems very pedestrian so far, and overdone in places. I’ll stick with it for now, but it’s certainly not holding my attention in the same way that the earlier series did.

I’ve only seen the first, but feel the same. I’ll watch it all, but it’s not like the earlier seasons where I’d have to keep watching the next episode.

Anyone get the Andrew speech about young girls been used by old men, Epstein must be spinning in his grave

I guess he's at boarding school in Scotland per Charles, and narratively, it makes little sense to repeat that story arc, particularly when it doesn't go anywhere this time around. There's just not much to say other than his getting into Oxbridge on C/D A-levels and dropping out of the Marines (who paid for his education??) much to the chagrin of his dad (GC Marines). It may be that they just skip over him instead, and have a brief nod to a happy resolution of his sidelining in the form of the fact that his dad's title will eventually revert to him...
hes appeared :laugh:

I just need to watch the final episode of season 4 this evening. It’s been superb. Gillian Anderson’s Thatcher is brilliant but the standout for me has to be Emma Corrin’s Diana, a phenomenal performance.

I do wonder what the Royal Family would think of this seasons depiction of events if they were to watch it.

Maybe they do watch it, might be a guilty pleasure :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom