1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Criterion Collection...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MrBlofeldt, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Excuse me for appearing somewhat dumb, but can anyone explain the reason why several DVD's released under the Criterion Collection seem to be incredibly hard to find, and those that are available can fetch as much as £500. E.g Killer. Do these Releases contain different bonus features is there something particular to this company and not to others or is the reason completely ridiculous... Please give me a history lesson !

tara a bit

MrB

2. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey ho,

The reasons are fairly straightforward, really. Criterion usually buy themselves a limited lifespan license for the production of their movies, and when that license expires, they have to stop pressing them. Additionally, some licenses are for specific numbers of a product being made, and when that limit is reached, again, production is stopped. Others, perhaps where demand maybe isn't so high, are simply not produced in any great numbers after the initial batch, so are rare and thus valuable. After all, most Criterion collectors (including myself) buy their productions as items to keep, rather than merely watch and sell on, so they rarely come to the marketplace, as it were.

Hope this helps :lesson:

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stupid question - but are these releases better than the mainstream release, i.e. in terms of picture quality, sound etc.

Or is it just that they have more in depth items relating to the film on the disk.

(I have one the Beastie Boys which I must say is fantastic, but not sure about film releases)

4. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Thanks for that K. Collecting Rare DVD's/casssettes/etc, seems very much like DC comics, you read (or watch...) them probably once, then they are stored in special wallets individually, somewhere out of sunlight etc etc.

I am only fairly new to collecting Movies and has come about as result of watching a lot of 1960's cheesy Sci-Fi movies (Forbidden planet, this island earth etc etc) and in actual fact, I got quite a shock at the cost of some of these items, for example I had just started looking for a copy of Journey to the far side of the sun and was stunned to see this listed on Amazon(uk) for almost £500...

5. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are the Criterion editions better? Primarily, that question must be answered with a view to the picture and sound of the movie itself, since that is the raison d'etre for the disc to exist at all. As a case in point, the recent edition of Naked Lunch boasts an absolutely stunning picture, far superior to any other version out there....on the other hand, The Life Of Brian in my view boasts a clearly less good picture than the recent region 2 re-release, so it's arguably a little hit and miss. However, what is true is that Criterion always manage to produce a definitive cut of the films they release - in other words, the 'best' version of a film that is available. On the audio side of things, Criterion normally take great care to re-master the audio in the format it was originally recorded, rather than uplift the audio to 5.1 as a lot of companies do when they release for DVD. It is, I think, debatable whether any director would have deliberately chosen mono audio if they had any choice at all - after all, who out there now produces new music or soundtracks in mono, even though they have the choice? However, considering the age of some of their films, it is clearly difficult to imagine how they could get the right people in to re-master authoritatively. Personally I don't mind audio upgrades any more than I mind Directors versions of movies....provided that the original sound designers are the people doing the upgrades, that is. With regards to extras, Criterion product is notable for the intelligence of its choices, although it is sometimes pretty clear that they've had to scrape around to find anything. Their extras are definitely on the side of quality over quantity. Finally, packaging and booklet design/content are superior as a norm to most other companies releases.with Criterion, the DVD experience begins the moment you have the title in your hands. Good examples here include Videodrome and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.
    Well, I hope this, too, helps. :)

6. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you, it certainly does help.

Lee

7. alanshere

alanshere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are also the Delux and Classic box sets from CDA - but they include more of the memorabilia associated with the film like the Lobby Cards, Press Books, Scripts, Soundtracks, Publicity Stills. Film Cels, Theatrical Posters, Souvenir Booklets, etc...

There are films like Citizen Kane, The Matrix, North By Northwest, Singin In The Rain, Enter The Dragon, The Longest Day, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Time Tunnel, Pulp Fiction, Wicker Man, 2001, The Omen Trilogy, Dances With Wolves, Rocky Horror Picture Show, I Robot, Modern Times, Great Dictator, Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange....
    to name a few...