1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Criminal Justice System...what a joke

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MacReady, Oct 24, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    My Wife and I were up in court last week as witnesses against our neighbour. In May this year, after over a year of harrasment of him including music, partying and shouting until 4 and 5 in the morning almost every night, he was arrested after assaulting my Wife. I wont go into the details but I am pretty sure most people would have not enjoyed what he has said to us and put us through :(

He resisted arrest and it took four officers to get him to the station. They had masses of evidence to prove just how much hell he had caused us since he moved in and were confident that something would be done about it when he went to court.....but it wasn't. The case was dismissed.

Why? Because after a few months of all the noise and stress he found out where I worked and he has used that ever since. And he used it to get away with making our lives hell when he was in court.

I work for West Yorkshire Probation and our neighbour has a record on file with us for a number of things. He was more than happy to scream in my face one day, because we had complained about the noise, about what he had done and say that he would do it again. He said' You work for the Probation service so you work for ME!'

So, when we went to court last week, I was accused of using my position to gain access to his details and then spread those details amongst our neighbours to try and get him to move. They said that I had done this as I did not want someone like him living next door to me and I was stopping him from his rehabilitation and attempt to re intigrate himself back into society.

Now I hear this every day at work...that we are working to help offenders rehabilitate and not to punish them. That we are helping them become active and usefull members of sociecty and must help them to do this.

I am now considering leaving my job (in only work in the IT department and am not a probation officer) as I feel I am working for a system that has helped to make our lives worse. How can this sort of thing happen? Why does the system seem to work so much better for offenders than it does victims?

I think the support groups that are avialable highlight this the best. For victims there is one volunteer based supprt group based in courts to help people who are giving evidence...for offenders there are 24 and they are privatly or Government funded. :(

2. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    This sums up everything that is wrong with this country and it's justice system.

I despise the people who have brought this about, I just wish they could made to understand just what it is they have done. I am sure they truly haven't a clue.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    that sucks big time. i cant believe even after it took 4 officers to arrest him, they dismissed the case!! what the hell! hows things now. has the harrasment increased or has it dropped?

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well before the court case he had put the house up for sale so we thought we may actually get a quiet life...but now he has taken it off the market :(

He has been very quiet but a good friend on the street said that he has been going from door to door the last few days as soon as we have both gone to work and one neighbour said he is telling everyone that the rumours about him are lies and that we have spread them and are making his life hell.

We have been warned that he could possibly be trying to create enough 'interest' so as to take us to court privatly for defemation of character :(

The sad thing is that if he does it will not be the first time. We found out that the reason he moved from Wakefield to Barnsley was because a police officer had told one of his former neighbours about what he had done and he took West Yorks Police to court over it and won a big cash settlement :mad:

The guy bought the house next door with the money and has not worked since! It makes my blood boil to think that someone who has done what he has can ruin so many people lives and keep getting away with it.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Burn down his house in the middle of the night. That'll sort him out!

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I suspect that is very tongue in cheek, as it rather flies in the face of your views expressed in the "Schools getting more dangerous" thread.

A very unpleasant situation. There can be few things that can affect your life so adversely as problems like this with neighbours. It is not something that you can just easily walk away from.

Also demonstrates the frailties of our justice system. Working in it is very frustrating enough, but when I go home thankfully that frustration can be left behind. Going home to frustartion would be unbearable.

You have my sympathy.

7. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    he's done it before!! this makes my blood boil, i hate this victim culture that criminals adopt here, this guys is a disgrace, but the fact he has doen ti before is more of a disgrace, are you the only neighbour he has had problems with. does he tend to get along with the others?

8. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,333
    Bad story mac ,i ended up selling my first house after a drug dealer moved across the road and ended up making my life a misery for over 12 months ,the thing was the couple who lived their originally were nice people ,and then he moved in and spoilt the neighbourhood.

We had a dispute one day over a parcel ,that had been delivered to my house ,which he had had signed for and then stole .

I wouldnt mind but the parcel only contained a pair of rockport shoes ,id left at a girl friends house in stockport.

Anyway this started a bloody feud ,including burgling my house ,parking numerous cars so close to my gate i couldnt get in or out ,loud parties etc etc .

So i sold the house i bought to do up and lost a load of money in the process.

So i sort of know what your going through ,a mans house should be his castle.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Trouble is it only takes one 'bad lot' to move in and they attract every bit of sleaze for about five miles. Where we last lived (only about half a mile from our current address) the road was fine until the people across the road moved out and sold to a landlord. He then took 'DSS' cases and it went downhill from there as 'the family' from two roads up moved in and made everyones life a misery.

Added to that we got the neighbour from hell move in next door. Parties to God knows what hour, threats from him and his mates if the wife called in the cops, the fire brigade out three times as they pulled one stupid stunt after another. :mad:

This came to head while I was trying to get my MA finished (nightmare!) and I went round and kicked open the door as the music (at 9.00am!) was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. It ended without violence (otherwise sods law would have seen me charged!) as they backed off and shut up.They then threatened to call in the police themselves! :rolleyes:

The cops in fairness sorted it after this, as they could see we were at our wits end - and we'd tried every reasonable route possible.

We had the neighbours on our side from the off though, and the community cops did a great job in the end. Second time this same copper sorted a noisy neighbour as he dealt with one from two doors up. The guys worth his weight in Gold...............

10. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If the courts have believed this without any evidence being given to back it up then I would be seething. (is that not some deformation of YOUR character?) I'd go to all the papers that would hear my story about how the 'system' has let the common man down AGAIN.
    The problem is you'd probably be thrown in jail by the very same court and loose your job over it.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Why do we seem to hear so many cases of injustice now? :mad:

-Neil

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually live above a pub and i work weekends and the noise is terrible, opening hours will soon be 2am, yet i thought we were supposed to have laws regarding groups of people hanging around making noise ( in this case drunk teenagers ) now the pub just happens to have no sound proofing and plays bass heavy music which just floats through the building thus till 1am every friday and saturday i suffer deep heavy bass and teenagers hanging about in large groups outside the pub arguing and shouting, now you may say thats what happens when you live above a pub but when its raining its quiet, the doors of the pub stay closed and most of the noise seems to stay inside rather than reverberate around the building so maybe its not the same as an anti-social neighbour but when you have work in the morning and the racket outside stops you from sleeping then it sure feels anti-social to me, trouble nowadays is police are too busy catching motorists to patrol our streets, i hardly ever see a police officer these days and i reported one of the drunk teenagers breaking someones window and it took em forty minutes to respond as they considered it low priority so what chance is there to move a bunch of unruly drunks who are on the street on, little chance i guess.

I personally think the criminal is protected more than the victim these days and the law is extremely soft on criminals, since the human rights european laws were brought in it has stopped a number of convictions and seems to protect the guilty more than the innocent.

We need more police officers patrolling our streets and making people feel safe and less talking from politicians who are good at saying things but slow at taking action, some parts of this country are no go zones after it becomes dark and thats probably true of a number of cities and towns all over the UK and i can tell you this, i'm only 36 but when you see a bunch of 6 feet tall "kids" in a group shouting and swearing and basically wearing there hoods etc it is an intimidating sight and if thats the case for me then imagine how an older person must feel, our streets really aren't as safe as they used to be and the criminal justice system is letting so many people down these days.

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    None of the other neighbours like him or trust him but most are old couples are are too scared to say or do anything.

Everyone DOES know what he has done in the past (which he is denying now) as one of the neighbours daughters recognised him from where he used to live in Wakefield as she was seeing a bloke who lived near him around the time it all happened! Her Dad then proceeded to tell everyone on the street about it including us...I told the police and the court this but he was never even asked to be a witness!!! :mad:

13. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    He and his solicitor told nothing but lies in court ! We have NEVER told anyone about what he has done...as I said above, other neighbours found out and he even shouted out about himself in the street!!!!!

You are right though, if I was to go to the press about this I would more than likely lose my job (already be warned this by my senior manager) and I would more than likely get a severe disciplinary just for posting about it on here....but I honestly don't care anymore :(

14. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Tounge in cheek it may be but he doesnt deserve any less. The fact that he bought the house with our money in the first place would be enough to set me on a vandetta against him. :)

It looks like the laws not going to be on your side what ever you do. :(

I bet you will end up moving to get away from him. Its not fair. :rolleyes:

why do the authorities let these little gob sh*tes play the system. :mad:

I often think that magistrates these days live on a different planet they just dont seem to be in touch with the declining amounts of decent people in this country.

15. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    ironic really, that the whole legal system was setup as a humane alternative to lynch mobs dealing with people like this... whereas these days, rounding up a lynch mob is probably the humane alternative to putting yourself through the sick joke that is the legal system.

16. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    it's all a joke - these criminals know the system inside out and know how to use to their advantage - whereas us law abiding citizens don't...and the law always to help the criminals too...total joke

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I presume your case was heard in the Magistrates' Court

Your solicitor didn't argue your job is besides the point?

Magistrates unfortunately are still too middle class - so yes are incredibly naive

Well, in light of what he's doing now, sue him for slander?

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    One question. If the criminal system is always on the side of the criminal, how come our jails are full to overflowing and more are being built? Having been there I sympathise with macready, but frankly I get sick and tired of the fraser type, 'we're all doomed' comments we see on here. :boring:

Yes crooks know the system, but so does the average lawyer - acting on your behalf. The trouble is half the time they just aren't interested enough as the moneys too poor (in their opinion). Had you had 'Cochrane' fighting in your corner I have no doubt your noisy neighbour would have been sent down for twenty! Justice, like everything else, is down to money.

Sorry, but having just dealt with the legal profession (again) I despair at their ineptitude and greed. :mad:

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw a programme on lawyers some years back. Guy as good as admitted that it's basically all just a mind/word game: whoever's better at it wins.

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    What do a lawyer and sperm have in common?

They both have a 1 in 50 million chance of becoming a human being

I'll go home now

21. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I suppose you have some evidence of that ?

Let's look at some facts, rather than believing a lot of tripe & take one Police force.

The Met Police have over 30,000 Police officers of which just 600 are traffic officers. Traffic officers who have been running over 5,000 bikesafe courses in an effort to reduce the number of m/cycle fatalities & of course dealing with those serious road traffic collisions. The other 29,500 Police officers, in the main, have neither the time nor inclination to spend most of their time enforcing road traffic legislation.

Yes the Police are stretched under a massive workload, but lets not kid ourselves that it's because they are spending all their time looking to catch motorists.

That is a similar story across the country with some counties disbanding their traffic departments all together because of pressures on staffing levels in other areas.

22. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

I think this is being seen as a safety measure by some forces. The belief is that crooks will no longer need to break the speed limit to escape the scene of a crime. With the police on nothing faster than a cycle, there will be no need to rush, hence the public will be much safer.

23. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Where I live they have gone one step further, and the same logic is being applied to arrest-related violence too..

Many officers, and sometimes passing members of the public, have been getting hurt due to criminals resisting arrest, so the Police have adopted a crafty strategy of not actually responding to any reported criminal activity, thereby eliminating said danger. :lesson:

My local Police station have even recently resorted to changing their phone number, as the old local number was much to easy for people to remember.
    Also, putting calls through to an operator at the other end of the country, who can't understand the local accent, or even spell the name of the town, let alone any street names, greatly reduces the chances of Officers putting themselves, or anybody else, in a potentially dangerous criminal-arrest scenario..

24. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    SInce he was a drug dealer why the hell wasn't he in jail :mad:

25. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like time for a few large mates with cricket bats to pay him a visit while you are on holiday!

26. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The end result will be vigilante attacks

27. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really want to get at him, burn down your own house!

After all, who would be the prime suspect??

28. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Brilliant :smashin:

That one made me giggle :)

I watched a documentary recently on Traffic Officers and realised that catching speeding motorists was only a small part of there duties the rest being far more productive and useful to society. :) I have to say that they also didn’t pull people over who were merely speeding only those who were excessively speeding and/or driving without due care and attention. At least police officers can use there discretion as apposed to fascist speed cameras :mad: that prosecute people irrespective of road condition, car condition time of day etc.

29. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the traffic copy who was caught doing 80 something in a 50 limit and was this week let off with a written warning as he was late for a meeting :rolleyes: :devil:

30. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Exactly. What low level magistrate or district/circuit judge will doubt the police or CPS?

Off the beaten track, but thats why I'm against 90 day detentions for suspected terrorists