1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The correct viewing distance?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pisfin, Feb 5, 2005.

1. pisfin

pisfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a 37" plasma tv, but I only sit about 3 metres away from the wall, where the tv will be. Is that too close and should I buy a 32" instead?

2. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Coincidentally, the viewing distance is exactly 3 m for our 42" SD plasma and there is not a hint of pixelation. A few feet closer and the image would not be so good but it is perfect as it is, so it really must be OK for a 37". I seem to recall that a 37" has ~40% less viewing area than a 42" so the pixels must be correspondingly smaller. In fact, I would not dismiss the possibility of a 42" unless you have to since they are such good value for money; they look big on the wall at first but you soon get used to it and the large picture is very appealing (many on these forums woudn't go below 50").

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm around 3m away from a 42" plasma with no problems, 37" would be OK but, for me anyway, 32" would be too small.

John