The Correct Component (Tosh DVD) to Scart (Loewe TV) Cable To Use??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by zsaddique, Apr 3, 2002.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a Loewe Aconda 9381 from Audio-T and will be purchasing a Toshiba SD-220e for playing DVD's...

Am I right assuming that a Scart to 3 RCA cable will carry the component video signal (audio is not needed) to the Scart of the Loewe Aconda from the three Component video jacks on the back of the Toshiba?

Here's the page with more info on this cable (it's an IXOS 113AV)...
    http://www.ixos.co.uk/html/products/theatre/113.html

Unbeatable.co.uk sell this for £19.97 but there's no mention of component signal on either product pages.

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the qed lead I mentioned is the correct one

look at http://www.qed.co.uk/files/sqrange.pdf

and specifically the bottom cable marked AV1920

probably someone like keene & lektropacks will do a cheaper
    version.

pretty sure this is right, though you are actually talking about
    going from component on the dvd end into scart 3 on the TV. hmmm.

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry... reading the spec this cable is wired wrongly...

its expecting to go from a rgb scarted dvd into a component equipped display/ projector.

you want the other way round by your description.

4. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin,

Did a bit of research and I don't think my original suggestion nor yours will work.. but I found the perfect cable in the end...

[​IMG]

It's a Profigold PGV372 Component Video Scart to 3 x Phono Plug and "operates from scart plug to phonos for delivery of component video signal from DVD players and other sources to plasma displays and television sets and to connect into AV amps with component video switching from various source devices".

I'll buy it from Superfi.co.uk for £34.95 (with free delivery). It's a bit steep but it looks like a high quality cable.

Thanks for all your help! ;)

Zahid -

5. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually.. now that I thought about it.. it's also the other way round!? :confused:

6. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now this is confusing! :mad:

This Profigold product list shows the PGV372 as "3 phono to SCART for component (YUV) 1.5m (also 3.0, 5.0 and 10.0m)" which is the opposite description Superfi.co.uk use.

http://www.music-at-home.co.uk/html/prices/pl_band.html

Does this mean the cable is bi-directional?? I.e. I WILL be able to use it to connect my Tosh DVD to my Loewe?

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you want 3 phonos (component) to scart which is what is listed on the music-at-home site.

this should be the right cable... just check with whichever company you prefer so you can return if necessary.

not cheap though.

is there meant to be that much of a difference between normal RGB and component going into the Loewe specifically?

8. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That, I am aware.. I know I need a cable which carries a component signal from 3 phonos to scart.

But the product that this description refers to on the music-at-home site is the exact same model as what the superfi.com product description refers to.

So, either one description is incorrect OR (this is what I hope) the cable is bi-directional and can carry the signal to AND from both ends.

I asked myself that, and after a few hours (it was only meant to be 5 minutes!!!) of searching the forums and newsgroups I decided the improvements in picture quality was worth the hassle. If you don't believe read Lowrider's posts on this subject, he'll back me up!

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what cable did Lowrider use then?

you could always ask nicely.
    :D

10. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a very expensive one I think!!!!! :eek:

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,058
    Here is a definative answer for you..THIS WILL ONLY WORK WITH LOEWE TV....

The Loewe TV can accept component signal with either the sync carried on the Y part (green) or with a seperate composite sync. The directionality of the cable you are looking at is only important where you are using the composite sync. This is because scart plugs can be wired for composite out and composite in whereas the RGB parts are just direct to each other.
    ie

Composite out of scart is Pin19
    Composite in to scart Pin20

RGB are direct 7-7,11-11,15-15....

So the Scart to 3 phono for component video will work. You will not be able to use it for RGB or for audio. The Scart to 6 phono would also work but only for this purpose and not for RGB.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon

12. polaco

polaco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon is right, I've made a cable to hook up a Loewe and a Toshiba 210 via component exactly as he describes and it works.

13. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Gordan!! I will be purchasing the mentioned Profigold PGV372 Component Scart to 3x Phono cable along with a Apollo Mezzo Soprano glass AV rack for my Loewe TV and equipment from Superfi.co.uk.

Any other opinions/views are welcomed! ;)

14. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have wondered about changing from RGB (my current connection) to a component to scart connection(I have Tosh SD-210 and Loewe Vitros).
    However, I don't want to spend £35 if it doesn't make a differnce! Can anyone confirm that there is a noticeable improvement in picture quality?

15. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about RGB scart out of my dvd player (no component out) to
    component in on my tosh 36zp18, would that work better than scart to scart ?:confused:

16. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    perry, these guys are all talking about specific Loewe TVs that support component video through the 3rd scart socket...

the dvd players are all using component out, not standard rgb scart.

17. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So rgb scart out too component in wont work or no deference ?:confused:

18. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no, it will only work for specific TVs... Loewe and a few others.

you would need a DVD player with component out for your Tosh.

not that much difference between RGB and component though,
    depending on the size of your TV... just depends if you want the absolute best.

for most people, its a non-issue and unnecessary expense.

19. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll find out soon enough Martin!! :D

I just ordered the cable along with a stand from Superfi.co.uk a few hours ago but it since they don't have any in stock it could take a week or two for the items to arrive.

I'll let you know my results once I have them.

20. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Now I really am confused.

I had understood that RGB and component were not the same and were incompatible. So if you connect a RGB SCART out to a 3 RCA component in, say on a plasma, you'll get a blank screen won't you? You have to convert the RGB to component for it to work - presumably the Loewe does this inside the set. A simple SCART to 3 RCA will not. Am I right?

Gordon, when you say SCART to 3 phono will work, but not for RGB, is that what you mean? If it works, how does it work?

If I want to take the RGB SCART from say my digibox into the 3 RCA component on my plasma, I'm going to need one of the converters that a few places are apparently working on right now - yes? At the moment I'm converting RGB to s-video, so will upgrade to the component version asap.

21. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Philipb,

Toshiba tv's have component inputs on 3 phono connectors. Some other tv's (e.g Loewe) can accept a component input on their scart connectors. DVD players have component outputs on phono sockets.

Obviously, depending on what tv you have, you may need some sort of cable adapter to get the component signal into your tv and Gordon was ONLY talking about the cables to do this.

If you want to get rgb scart from your digibox into your component inputs on your plasma, then you're going to need one of the converter boxes that are in the works.

Brian.

22. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Bxd

I understand that. It seemed from some of the posts above, that RGB SCART to RCA phono would "work" in some way, but I don't think it will. One phono will be delivering composite video into one of the sockets, and the other two will be trying to pass audio into the other component sockets.

Even if the SCART has the RGB pins wired separately to each of the phono cables, it still won't work because RGB and component are incompatible. Or have I got it totally wrong? So I ask again - what purpose can a RGB SCART to 3 RCA component video cable serve? The upcoming converters are going to cost around 100 pounds, so if it can be done with a 30 quid cable we'll all be buying them.

23. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Philipb,

So if you connect a RGB SCART out to a 3 RCA component in, say on a plasma, you'll get a blank screen won't you?
    That's right, because your trying to put a rgb signal into a component input

You have to convert the RGB to component for it to work - presumably the Loewe does this inside the set. A simple SCART to 3 RCA will not. Am I right?
    Yes, you're right a simple cable connection won't do a conversion.The Loewe sets DO NOT convert rgb to component...they just have component inputs on one of their scarts. I presume that they have just used the pins that would normally be used for rgb for component. Ultimately, when it goes to the guns on the crt it's all converted back to rgb anyway. Loewe and Toshiba sets have additional circuitry which allows them to accept a component inputs but this is converted to rgb internally. The rgb inputs on tv's just bypass most of the video processing and go "straight" to the tube.

Gordon, when you say SCART to 3 phono will work, but not for RGB, is that what you mean?
    I think what Gordon was saying is that, on a Loewe set you can use a 3 phono to scart cable to get a component input into the tv from a dvd player.

The rgb scart to 3 phono cable would only be useful on set's (some projectors) that can accept a rgb signal which has sync on green. Some projectors have component inputs which are designed so that they can also accept this type of rgb signal.
    A scart to 4 phonos (or bncs) is also a possibility. This would be used to get a rgb+composite sync scart signal into a projector that has a suitable input. On many projectors the sync voltage is too low.... that's why Keene are bring out their rgb to vga connector. However, some projectors won't accept a 15kHz signal (interlaced) on their rgb inputs so there may be some difficulties with that option as well.

Brian

24. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Brian

Thanks for that.
    I still don' think the Loewe does it by simply wiring the scart pins to component feeds. RGB and component are incompatible signals and if you take a scart RGB source and feed it into a component input without some fancy conversion then you'll get nothing. Is the input on the Loewe a scart plug or component (RCA or BNC)? If its scart then it cannot be component. If its a RCA or BNC input then it must be doing the conversion.
    If the conversion is not necessary then these £100 boxes which several suppliers are about to bring out are going to bomb because nobody will need them.

Phil

25. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Phil,

Is the input on the Loewe a scart plug or component (RCA or BNC)? If its scart then it cannot be component.
    I wasn't suggesting that the Loewe does it by simply wiring the scart pins to component feeds...sorry if I gave you that impression.

I was suggesting that Loewe use a scart socket (for convenience) in a non-standard fashion. It's wired up to use the pins than would normally be used for rgb, for the YUV input.

That input is for component only and is connected to the video circuitry that converts it (ultimately) to rgb... that's then fed to the guns on the crt. Loewe should really have added component phono inputs to their tv's but it was probably easier just to modify a scart socket for a non-standard input.

It's easier to go from component to rgb because every tv that has a component input must at some stage convert that signal to rgb (and sync) to feed the voltages to the guns. The circuitry to do this is incorporated into the design stages of component capable tv's....so it's a relatively cheap addition to the set. It's more difficult to go from rgb to component, because (from a tv manufacturers point of view) there is NO need to do this..... the guns require rgb, so "rgb in" should go straight there without any additional conversion steps.

Brian

26. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll just clarify a little on what Brian has said above. The Loewe TV's can accept the following signals on it's AV3 Scart Socket:

Composite
    S-Video
    YUV Component with Sync on Y
    YUV Component with Sync on CVBS (Composite)
    RGB

You connect the DVD player to the AV3 and tell the TV what type of signal to display. If using a 3 phono Component output from a DVD player, you need to connect via a purpose built cable that is wired with 3 phono's at the DVD end to the compatible pins on a Scart plug at the other end. The cable or TV will not do any fancy conversions between signal formats in that if your DVD player is configured to output Component through it's Component phonos, then the AV3 on the Loewe must also be configured for one of the Component formats specified above. If you were to set the AV3 to RGB while the DVD player is outputting Component, you will actually get a perfect picture but it is Green instead of full colour. I read a reason as to why the picture would be green somewhere but can't remember where at this point in time.

The AV3 can however take a normal RGB input signal from a DVD player (or other source) which has been configured to output RGB through it's scart socket. From what I understand though, the RGB pins on a Scart socket are the same pins used for the YUV Component signals. I think Arcam DVD players can output Component through it's Scart socket and in such cases, a fully wired RGB Scart cable can be used with the Loewe to accomplish this task. There's a good thread by Akash which can be found at:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30746

This explains the Component/Loewe issue in certain terms.

27. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Groundy,

Thanks for that clarification.

I'd presumed that the AV3 socket on the Loewe tv's could handle composite but I wasn't sure if it could handle s-video or rgb as well as component.

I certainly wasn't aware that you could get YUV with sync on composite. Any idea who does that ? ..and where ?

With all this messing around with the scart pins, it's not surprising that people get very confused.

Brian

28. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks guys - the fog is clearing.

For what its worth I tried the Profigold scart to RGB (3 phono) on my plasma and as expected no picture (well a distorted one). So if these won't work on plasmas, on Tosh TVs, or Loewe TVs (scart to 3 phono don't forget, and directional), what the hell are they designed for? Presumably projectors.

29. polaco

polaco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that Profigold cable isn't wired for composite video (yellow RCA) + stereo sound (red and white or black RCAs)? These are by far the most common, and are directional...
    A scart to 3 phono cable wired for RGB or YUV is far more difficult to find and is not directional. The colours of the 3 RCA sould be red/green/blue or similar.

30. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It didn't work with your Plasma for reasons explained beforehand. You are trying to output an RGB signal into a Component input. Any incoming signal on the Plasma Component inputs will only accept Component, not RGB. There is nothing wrong with the cable. For arguements sake, if your equipment at the scart end was configured to output Component (such as an Arcam DVD player), then you would get a Component picture on the Plasma just fine with the Profigold cable.

As Gordon has mentioned, the cable is bi-directional as there is no seperate Composite (CVBS) Sync. As such it can be used the other way round and connected by the three Component phono's at the DVD end to the Loewe AV3 Scart. Both the DVD player and the Loewe TV must be configured for Component - not RGB. Therefore there is a use for this cable.

Incidentally, I use a new QED cable model number AV2930 which is directional 6 phono to Scart. The 6 phono's are for Y, U, V, RGB Sync, L/R Audio. This is connected to the phono Component outs on the DVD player to the Loewe AV3. It is an amazing cable with superb build quality but then it did cost £75!