The correct colour temperature?????

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I have just calibrated my Panasonic TX32LDX52 using DVE.The one thing I am not sure about is the colour temperature setting.On DVE they recommend the LOW or WARM setting but to me this just makes everything look a bit yellow.This maybe because I am not used to a properly calibrated picture.
Has anyone got any ideas on the correct temperature setting?

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
Lin3ar said:
I have just calibrated my Panasonic TX32LDX52 using DVE.The one thing I am not sure about is the colour temperature setting.On DVE they recommend the LOW or WARM setting but to me this just makes everything look a bit yellow.This maybe because I am not used to a properly calibrated picture.
Has anyone got any ideas on the correct temperature setting?

Correct colour temperature can be set by having a full ISF calibration done. This is where some one actually comes to your house with a colour analiser and uses the service menu (the one that is used to set the TV up in the factory) to properly calibrate Contrast, Brightness, colour, over scan, ect. It is a very deatialed process but well worth the money.

On my Panasonic PE30 Plasma. I have the option of Warm/Normal/cool. I found that the cool setting looked to blue, and the warm to yellow/red. Normal seemed just fine. At the end of the day it is you who is watching the TV so set it to what ever looks good for you:)

chambeaj

Trouble is some sets such as Philips 9830 have an excessive level of blue push even with the "Normal" setting.

DamianL

i found this whole process on the Samsung le complicated by the fact that you can adjust the red blue and green separately, as well as five different colour warmths...makes my brain overheat a bit thinking about it...:confused:

andrewfee

Novice Member
DamianL said:
i found this whole process on the Samsung le complicated by the fact that you can adjust the red blue and green separately, as well as five different colour warmths...makes my brain overheat a bit thinking about it...:confused:
If you are talking about "my colour control" - those adjustments are for the colour decoder, not the colour temperature.

If you are adjusting RGB values in the service menu, you will never get it even close to right without some sort of hardware measuring device.

DamianL

hmmm, not goin anywhere near any service menu's i don't think...

merely saying that there is still an interaction between the basic colour temperature settings in the standard menus i.e cool1, cool2, normal, warm1, warm2 and the "my colour" and standard colour slider...with red pumped all the way up in "my colour" and the setting on cool, there is a huge difference in the colour of grey compared to the same "cool setting" with lower "my colour settings"

or something like that :rolleyes:

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I have just been watching the skiing on Eurosport and the snow was a horrible orangy yellow using the Warm setting as suggestewd by DVE.Forget what they say, I can't watch telly like that so it is back to Normal for me.
That's it, no more tinkering, i'm going to sit back and enjoy watching my telly rather than worry if i've got the right settings.

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

neilmcl

Lin3ar said:
I have just been watching the skiing on Eurosport and the snow was a horrible orangy yellow using the Warm setting as suggestewd by DVE.Forget what they say, I can't watch telly like that so it is back to Normal for me.
That's it, no more tinkering, i'm going to sit back and enjoy watching my telly rather than worry if i've got the right settings.

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:
In fairness to DVE they do say that it depends on whether the TV correctly handle colour temp that a low or warm would be the better choice but you ultimately you have to choose the setting that looks best based to you. You use colour temp to determine the correct grayscale setting, once this is correct then colours will look normal. To do this properly you need to get a greyscale image on the screen and adjust the temp until you think you're looking at the best representaion of grey.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom