The Commuter 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Phil Hinton, May 23, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,609
    2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,465
      Thanks for the review Cas, not sure whether to get this one or not.

3. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,001
      Thanks Cas. Im a Neeson fan and I liked your reference to Tombstones there - an underrated film (and book) in my opinion. Got to say I liked Non Stop a lot though so I can see me getting this at some point!

4. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,710
      Thanks for the review Cas,brought the US,if a bit by the numbers thriller,still a good watch :)

5. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +229
      Thanks, Cas. It's a fun film but I could not help feeling that Neeson, as fit and good looking as he still is for his age, is creaking visibly here. I know, his character is also getting on a bit, as we all are, but the battering and pummelling he takes, and dishes out, went beyond even my suspension of disbelief. The film's a vehicle for him, I know, and it is a great concept, but I wonder how it would have been if played by a younger actor. And also who the next generation of action actors will be? Dwayne Johnson occupies a niche of his own, Vin Diesel is off the scope (again). Any thoughts? Neeson is clearly happy to keep on banking the cheques, as I would be too, but I'd like to see him do a drama next time, or even a romance or comedy, if only to give his own body a rest.

6. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,609
      This has really perturbed me. After the 80s slew of action icons (Sly, Arnie, Snipes, Seagal, Van Damme) went out of fashion, most ‘conventional’ actors became fair game for being made into action actors (Cruise, Reeves, Damon), whilst a select few kept the flame alive as their mainstay (Statham, Diesel, The Rock), before Neeson introduced the ageing action icon gambit that plenty of unlikely older actors took up mostly unsuccessfully (Travolta, Banderas, Costner).

I really don’t know who will qualify in a decade’s time, when the majority of these really will be too old for this schtick...

7. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +229
      Apologies for the delayed reply, Cas, I'm not receiving email notifications these days. Filmmaking goes through phases, as you know, and action was written much bigger and louder back then in the day. We still have Bond, of course, but that's a standalone character and franchise. After Daniel Craig chucks it in, for real as opposed to yet again, the producers will simply cast someone else. Also, no actors like to get typecast: just think about Leslie Nielsen, a brilliant comedian, who for decades played captains of space ships or ocean liners that rolled over, what with him being tall, dignified and captain-like, till he finally got his big break. But of today's generation, sure, toss someone an action film and maybe they will bite but unless the character was right they would most likely stick around for one sequel at best. It's possible, and fair, to say the old action stars were on a rinse and repeat formula with a standard hackneyed story (man gets wronged/his dog insulted/brother or other family member murdered in Bangkok, again, seeks revenge), but it was glorious. The one beacon of light still shining at the moment, though, Keanu Reeves as John Wick. What a comeback he made with that!