Votes: 60 49.2%
  • with sugar or other sweeters

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • without milk and sugar - black and not sweetened

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • no coffee at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Really enjoyed the James Hoffman World’s Largest Coffee Tasting yesterday. Over 10k people worldwide took part - which was great.
Excellent variety of coffees supplied in the kit with a range of flavours, textures and body.

11F8AC75-2BE4-4685-92D7-9AF08918763C.jpeg
5775D447-51BB-4124-B5B6-26472F746CDD.jpeg

About to give this a whirl...

Attachments

• 0B45D6B5-8AA0-4B8C-A0B7-A7AC4B140D71.jpeg
    0B45D6B5-8AA0-4B8C-A0B7-A7AC4B140D71.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 71
That bourbon cream espresso I ordered is lovely. Very distinctive flavours. Best one I've had from Pact in a while.

So the Hario turned up yesterday, unfortunately after my final double espresso of the day. So trying it this morning. Think I cocked up the brew this morning as it is very weak. Now googled the best method and going to try this one.

Where are people getting good beans for a decent price from at the moment. I only order 500g max at a time, so need to factor in postage as well.

I'm happy to pay good money but equally don't want to overspend if the gains don't practically warrant it. Some of the model I have been researching are,

Melitta Purista (~£400)
Siemens EQ300 (~£400)
Jura A1 (~£600)
Miele CM5XXX/6XXX range (~£800 - ~£1000)

I bought a Melitta CAFFEO SOLO & Perfect Milk a while back. I'm happy with it and haven't had any cause to worry about it's reliablity. I've posted more about it before in this thread so have a search on Melitta.
The Purista looks quite similar so may share components.

When I was looking the pricing varied quite a lot - I got mine with an offer from Hughes Direct.

Melitta have a refurb shop though I've not used it myself it's worth checking

That bourbon cream espresso I ordered is lovely. Very distinctive flavours. Best one I've had from Pact in a while.

So the Hario turned up yesterday, unfortunately after my final double espresso of the day. So trying it this morning. Think I cocked up the brew this morning as it is very weak. Now googled the best method and going to try this one.
I try to get a 1:16 ratio (60g/1l water) - so for a single cup, I'm doing 15g coffee 250g water. I aim toy get full extraction in around 3:30. I find that gives a nice brew. I use Hoffman's Ultimate V60 technique. I'll check out the one in the link you posted.

Where are people getting good beans for a decent price from at the moment. I only order 500g max at a time, so need to factor in postage as well.
I've been buying from Sacred Bean in Derby. Excellent coffee, roasted fresh on Thursdays and usually delivered by Tuesday. Very good prices, and I've found them super-helpful with advice and information.

Also, I really like their company ethos and everything they're trying to do.

For V60 I like their Rwandan Sholi. For espresso, either the Indian Mysore or Monsoon Malabar.

I bought this back from my recent stay on the Isle of Wight. It’s really, really good...

B6CC542D-0D61-4B71-9307-FC60EE808E14.jpeg

I bought a Melitta CAFFEO SOLO & Perfect Milk a while back. I'm happy with it and haven't had any cause to worry about it's reliablity. I've posted more about it before in this thread so have a search on Melitta.
The Purista looks quite similar so may share components.

When I was looking the pricing varied quite a lot - I got mine with an offer from Hughes Direct.

Melitta have a refurb shop though I've not used it myself it's worth checking

Thanks I've just pulled the trigger on the Avanza as I found a local company doing a good deal on it. Comparatively it has small dimensions and I like the fact that if I did want to do occasional milk drinks it just uses a tube as opposed to separate carafe. Should be coming this week so will report back once I've given it a good test run!

Do people still use coffee percolators these days? When I was young, that was always our Sunday dinner treat, to have a ’proper coffee’ afterwards:)

Do people still use coffee percolators these days? When I was young, that was always our Sunday dinner treat, to have a ’proper coffee’ afterwards:)
Don't remember the last time I saw one.
I guess, these days it would be a drip coffee or cafetière.

That's when I last saw one ;)

Not sure if this is allowed (Mods - please remove if not, and accept my apologies).

I've been buying some great coffee from these guys. They're very helpful and supportive and doing great work in their local community and helping people in recovery.

They have an excellent project in the pipeline but need some help so have set up a crowdfunding page. If you can help them (or even just buy a bag of their excellent coffee), you'd be doing a good thing to help people.

Previously, I was not impressed by Illy Coffee. My opinion has recently changed since buying Illy ‘Intenso’ Coffee Beans, and their Intenso Nespresso Capsules. Highly recommended.

Previously, I was not impressed by Illy Coffee. My opinion has recently changed since buying Illy ‘Intenso’ Coffee Beans, and their Intenso Nespresso Capsules. Highly recommended.
Where did you get them?

I bought the Illy Intenso Beans, and Capsules, via Ocado.

Waitrose sell the Capsules, and Ground Coffee (but not Beans).

When out shopping, I like to stop off for Pret Coffee. I’ve often asked them why they don’t sell their Coffee Beans directly to the public.

Now they’re available from Waitrose. Don‘t be put off by the price: it’s only like buying 2 bags of Coffee Beans...

469CB069-A817-43E6-95A4-3963FAA20AAB.jpeg

Last edited:
We're currently on a Union coffee subscription in the post which means there aren't any gaps to fill between deliveries but I'll definitely pick up a bag for standby next time I'm shopping in Waitrose - I do like Pret coffee. :thumbsup:

i've been drinking this which I've liked and with various discounts I was getting it for about 12 quid (delivered) for a kilo -

so, thought I'd try a more expensive coffee to see if it's better...so, tried this -

which was a tenner more delivered, and there isn't a great deal of difference to my taste buds... both very nice however...

What would be the best milk to use when making cappucino's with my Delonghi Eletta machine, using it's included 'Crema Milk Frother'?

I have been using skimmed lactose-free milk but while it does froth well it has an overly thick type of texture to it, and I'm always left with a large amount of froth in the mug once I've finished the drink, that barely moves even when you tip the cup.

What would be the best milk to use when making cappucino's with my Delonghi Eletta machine, using it's included 'Crema Milk Frother'?

I have been using skimmed lactose-free milk but while it does froth well it has an overly thick type of texture to it, and I'm always left with a large amount of froth in the mug once I've finished the drink, that barely moves even when you tip the cup.

I use Semi Skimmed which gives a decent froth.

Different machine, I know, but I took part in a Sage Masterclass a couple of weeks ago, and the guy running it recommended full-fat milk - either organic or filtered, specifically Cravendale, but Tesco's own filtered is about 1/2 the price. His argument was that organic or filtered milk is much more consistent than pasteurised milk which can vary according to season. No idea if that's true, but I've been using filtered whole milk and had much more consistency with my texturing.

Different machine, I know, but I took part in a Sage Masterclass a couple of weeks ago, and the guy running it recommended full-fat milk - either organic or filtered, specifically Cravendale, but Tesco's own filtered is about 1/2 the price. His argument was that organic or filtered milk is much more consistent than pasteurised milk which can vary according to season. No idea if that's true, but I've been using filtered whole milk and had much more consistency with my texturing.

Interesting i'll have to give it a bash then, see if there is a difference.

I've been using full fat milk for years now with my Sage. I also always ask for full fat milk when I order a flat white from Costa and the staff say 50% of the time "we always use full fat milk for flat whites" when I know they don't! The number of times they just use semi is unbelievable. I know they can be busy and there have been times then they've said they've run out of full fat, but 1/2 of them do not know... Anyway, rant over, full fat milk all the way!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom