Votes: 60 49.2%
  • with sugar or other sweeters

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • without milk and sugar - black and not sweetened

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • no coffee at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Where is best to buy online if you only drink a 250g bag every month? Most places I’ve looked at, the postage make it more than a subscription.

What canisters would you folk recommend for storing beans once I open the bag? If we buy single small bags we wouldn't really need to, but for 500g or more we'll end up storing some of them before we use them up. I'd really like something square or rectangular to be more space efficient, but I doubt that'll happen...

Where is best to buy online if you only drink a 250g bag every month? Most places I’ve looked at, the postage make it more than a subscription.

Hard to say really, most places will indeed do that. Do you have any roasters slightly fancier coffee shops etc nearby? Even Whittard, although it's a bit dearer.

Oh, I forgot to add... :clap: yes I know, someone's been to Lidl.
(and I've registered with the Delonghi coffee club, though I know the "free stuff" takes quite a while to arrive)

Attachments

• IMG_20181202_192320.jpg
    IMG_20181202_192320.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20181202_192226.jpg
    IMG_20181202_192226.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
I’ve got some oxo rectangular airtight containers but I’m not sure how good the airtight seal is as I can pull it off quite easily without releasing the seal.

I went with a redber subscription.
The local coffee place is good but I never get there and they are the same price as a subscription anyway. So this way I don’t have to leave the house.

Besides my Miele B2C machine, I also have a Nespresso/Krupps CitiZ plus Aerocinno 4 milk frothier. I always end up using the latter, as my Wife can’t be bothered in using the Aerocinno.

To remedy this situation, I’ve just bought a Nespresso/DeLonghi Latissima Pro. I assumed the Coffee would taste no different. I was mistaken. A little hotter than before, and the Milk from the attached Milk frothier doesn’t resemble the consistency of wall insulation compared to the Aerocinno.

Also, SWMBO is now able to produce a Latte Macchiato at the touch of a button without instruction from me.
Did you get the one that's currently on offer on Amazon for £149?

I’m just putting the bag of coffee into a Tupperware container in the fridge. I’ve only got supermarket type beans at the moment so it’s not really critical for me I reckon.

A lot of places don’t recommend putting any in the fridge.
I've given up on all this fridge/freezer thing. I just store mine in a tin, or the bag they came in and keep in a cupboard. I don't think I can notice any difference. I've had beans out of date and they still taste great. I don't think my palate is refined enough to notice any difference!

I've given up on all this fridge/freezer thing. I just store mine in a tin, or the bag they came in and keep in a cupboard. I don't think I can notice any difference. I've had beans out of date and they still taste great. I don't think my palate is refined enough to notice any difference!
I’m the same. Not the out of date beans but just storing them in the cupboard.

Thanks. I’ll move mine out of the fridge then :)

When they are at the roasters they are never refrigerated/frozen.
When they are in the shops the are never refrigerated/frozen.
So why would you put them in the fridge or freezer when at home?

Beans do start to go off and passed their best after a few weeks, but you probably wouldn't notice for a few weeks more. Pre-ground goes off quicker.

I use a bag that has an air valve in it (like the ones you buy your beans in), but also has an air tight seal that is pressed closed (I got it with my green beans and just re-use it) and I just use that to store them in and just in my cupboard.
I roast 500g at a time this lasts me about 7-10 days, and fills my hopper twice. When I fill the hopper the second time (emptying the bag), I roast some more which allows them several days to de-gas, before I use them.

When you buy vacuum packed beans the air has been removed which prevents any bacteria growing in storage. When you break the seal then air can get at them so they will begin to deteriorate to a small extent. Pre-ground will go off much faster as the grinding makes the surface area that bacteria can attack much, much larger.
I do stick my beans in the fridge after opening but as the bag only lasts a few days I don't seal it with any particular care or put it in another container. It's probably just a hang on from when we used ground :)
I strongly doubt it would be detectable if I left it on the counter but it wouldn't be as tidy.
The bean hopper on my B2C isn't airtight or refrigerated - nor are they on commercial machines so it can't be that vital.

There are plenty of bags of beans in shops that are not vacuum packed.
Although ones that are may be better.

Just checked the bag while filling the hopper - mine from the supermarket Waitrose Sumatra and Cafedirect Fairtrade Organic Machu Picchu - both say "‘packaged in a protective atmosphere" on them and recommend an air tight container in the fridge after opening.
So not vac packed but gas filled - a lazy google suggests the gases will vary depending on the product - but the purpose is to make them stay fresher longer by reducing the ability of nasties to grow.
I'm still unconvinced you need to bother putting beans in the fridge or freezer after you open them unless you only drink a cup every other thursday. At the rate we go it doesn't have time to go off.

Another opinion is the constant change in temperature by taking them in and out of the fridge is bad. The possibility of moisture is also bad. I wish there was one definitive answer.

Another opinion is the constant change in temperature by taking them in and out of the fridge is bad. The possibility of moisture is also bad. I wish there was one definitive answer.

Maybe not a definitive answer although this is both the advice I was given and have been following for several years with consistent results...where possible, only buy the quantity of beans that will take you 7-10 days (eg 250g) to get thru. Then, only grind the amount you are gonna use there and then. Store the rest of the beans in a dry dark place (kitchen cupboard), ideally within an airtight/vaccum or tupperware box to try limit the amount of air that will break down the freshness of the beans. If buying a larger quantity of beans that will last beyond 7 days (eg 1kg), I will split them into 4 airtight containers and store as above.
This method doesnt involve any need to chill or freeze beans that may/may not make any difference. It also keeps the beans at a consistent temperature and away from moisture.

Maybe not a definitive answer although this is both the advice I was given and have been following for several years with consistent results...where possible, only buy the quantity of beans that will take you 7-10 days (eg 250g) to get thru. Then, only grind the amount you are gonna use there and then. Store the rest of the beans in a dry dark place (kitchen cupboard), ideally within an airtight/vaccum or tupperware box to try limit the amount of air that will break down the freshness of the beans. If buying a larger quantity of beans that will last beyond 7 days (eg 1kg), I will split them into 4 airtight containers and store as above.
This method doesnt involve any need to chill or freeze beans that may/may not make any difference. It also keeps the beans at a consistent temperature and away from moisture.
That’s what I do. Except when I’m lazy and buy it ground. :D

This bean to cup machine on offer at the mo (for a couple more hours). Don't know if it's any good or not?

http://amzn.eu/d/9f2HXNL

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If money is no object, why not? :D

Have you got any beans yet? I'd be inclined to start with Tesco or Asda own brand Espresso beans to give you a benchmark, then try some of the branded beans and see if you find they are any better. e.g. Tesco Espresso Coffee Beans 227G - Tesco Groceries

i have to say that these Tesco beans are a great starting point so thanks for the head up :) I’m making some really nice cappuccinos with these beans - I am still getting used to the machine though!

Gentlemen, is there a list within this thread of recommended bean suppliers please?

failing that, please recommend away.

thanks

t.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom