The coffee fanatics thread...

spikeyjac

I'm quite intrigued. When I was purchasing my Sage Duo Temp Pro, I tossed up between that and the Bambino Plus. The Bambino Plus was getting pretty slated at the time (3 years ago), but seems to come out on top now? Why is that?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm quite intrigued. When I was purchasing my Sage Duo Temp Pro, I tossed up between that and the Bambino Plus. The Bambino Plus was getting pretty slated at the time (3 years ago), but seems to come out on top now? Why is that?

Oooer - were they that good looking? I assume you're banned from that shop now ;) :D

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Simular machines, both good, but the Bambino has an auto milk frother which is nice and a 3 second start-up / heat-up time which is great as built round the new boiler.. Bambino feels a bit lighter (you may hvae to hold the machine as you twist the portafilter in/out) and it has a smaller footprint..

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Another go at timed espresso this morning. 18g in and 60g out in 25 seconds. Taste was really rich. My previous basket and/or ground beans were putting out 90g in 30 seconds, so this is an improvement.

lee1980

Simular machines, both good, but the Bambino has an auto milk frother which is nice and a 3 second start-up / heat-up time which is great as built round the new boiler.. Bambino feels a bit lighter (you may hvae to hold the machine as you twist the portafilter in/out) and it has a smaller footprint..
Auto milk frother! I say its certainly takes some to learn to manually froth milk!
My machine is is around 30kg lol so doesn't move is big to and not ideal at times in our quite small kitchen, thankfully converted the wife (previously not even a tea drinker) to like coffee and tea now.

lee1980

Ha ha, I've had a go at Latte Art, but for the love of god I can't get anything that doesn't just resemble a cloud or an ice cream that’s been dropped on the pavement….
lol I have not really been wanting to do art, its more about trying to get microfoam this thick and dense, when right it almost pours out like cream. Varies though due to milk type and temp etc, but gotten generally good at frothing now with this dual boiler.
Time saved to with dual boiler as can pull a shot and froth milk at same time.
My old much much cheaper bean to cup Krups, was so poor at getting anything enough power to froth milk.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
You heathens should just be drinking espresso :D

lee1980

You heathens should just be drinking espresso :D
I do from time to time or make espesso macchiato, in like smaller handle less cups, espresso with a small amount of frothed milk.
When quantities are just right its great!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I can't drink milk any way, but fortunately I prefer espresso.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I had some new cups for flat-white delivered today - a little smaller than I was using so a more intense flavour.
These are 6oz/170ml.
Not bad art, but have to adjust the amount of milk I use.

678E7A99-E78C-416A-BC84-A479F052152E.jpeg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Noticed a barista express for sale in my town on FB marketplace. Negotiated a reasonable deal. It’s six months old, bought from John Lewis with light use and the sage knock box. Hopefully pick up this afternoon. I’m so impatient! :D
I simply couldn’t justify the dual boiler right now. This will see me through until normal prices resume. I’ll give my current machine and grinder to a mate. Can’t wait. Thinking first accessory will be a puck rake.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
In one of James Hoffman’s videos he was using a set of £14 timed scales. Do these cheapies work ok? Or should I get the timemore ones?

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
In one of James Hoffman’s videos he was using a set of £14 timed scales. Do these cheapies work ok? Or should I get the timemore ones?
I bought 2 sets of cheapo ones and both failed when I splashed water/coffee onto the buttons and they gummed up.
I couldn't justify £200+ for Acaia so went with the TImemore - superb. Responsive, accurate, easily wipe-clean. They'll fit the drip tray on the BE (though maybe at 90degs).

Have a look at Sigma - great price and excellent service

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I bought 2 sets of cheapo ones and both failed when I splashed water/coffee onto the buttons and they gummed up.
I couldn't justify £200+ for Acaia so went with the TImemore - superb. Responsive, accurate, easily wipe-clean. They'll fit the drip tray on the BE (though maybe at 90degs).

Have a look at Sigma - great price and excellent service

Thanks. Yeah it’s sigma that’s I saw them.
I read it’s a faff to set timed doses? Is it a one off setting or every switch on? Something like pressing a button 8 times?!

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Yeah it’s sigma that’s I saw them.
I read it’s a faff to set timed doses? Is it a one off setting or every switch on? Something like pressing a button 8 times?!
Thats the auto-start timing function. To be honest, I never use it. I did, and it was OK for espresso, but for pour-over, everytime I tried to swirl the V60 carafe it reset.

So now I just start the timer manually for AeroPress & V60. I don't need it on the DB because it has its own timer.

I don't know how the programme buttons work on the BE, but if you're using Manual, just press the start timer button on the scales at the same time you press the Manual button on the BE.

Expect the pre-infusion to run for around 7s (the manual should explain) and you'll see the coffee drip after that when the gauge goes up.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
It’s here. Woo.
Out with the old.
48FF5777-F4B4-4C7C-89D7-ABEA90D02931.jpeg

In with the new

201FBD3B-9D9D-418E-8D16-E47EC8E2A508.jpeg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Stupidly I forgot to buy beans! Last bag of coffee I bought was ground to test a commercial grinder against mine. Ordered some beans now so got to wait for delivery. :(To be honest I wasn’t actually expecting buy a new machine just yet.

Anyway, help me build a shopping list. What do I need to buy?
1. Scales with timer
2. Puck rake or distributor?
3. Bottomless portafilter
4. Dosing funnel?
5. ...

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
What do you think of the Delonghi as it is on my list to potentially buy as i am still using my aero press and if i am honest love it and a touch reluctant to move on lol.
I'd love a Barista express truth be told as i think that's what i would be after ideally
What type of coffee do you like? This one has served me really well for a long time. I just wanted to up my espresso game as that is all I drink.

danwel

What type of coffee do you like? This one has served me really well for a long time. I just wanted to up my espresso game as that is all I drink.
I drink Americano but would drink espresso too. Not too fussed with the Milk functions as it would be a rarity for me to make one for anyone that required the steamed milk function

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I drink Americano but would drink espresso too. Not too fussed with the Milk functions as it would be a rarity for me to make one for anyone that required the steamed milk function
I've only ever used it for espresso and latte/cappucinos for the wife/guests. Not sure how it fairs distributing extra hot water for an Americano. The milk frothing is actually pretty good.

I've just got the espresso spot on for the machine. Had my best one this morning. I would actually rate it for espresso for the average consumer, but I always want better. :rolleyes:
It's a great all round machine for the money. There isn't much else in the same price range that is as good, but if you up your price range, the machines are supposed to be much better. Just waiting for my beans to turn up so I can prove that. :)

danwel

I've only ever used it for espresso and latte/cappucinos for the wife/guests. Not sure how it fairs distributing extra hot water for an Americano. The milk frothing is actually pretty good.

I've just got the espresso spot on for the machine. Had my best one this morning. I would actually rate it for espresso for the average consumer, but I always want better. :rolleyes:
It's a great all round machine for the money. There isn't much else in the same price range that is as good, but if you up your price range, the machines are supposed to be much better. Just waiting for my beans to turn up so I can prove that. :)
Thanks for that, i am interested to hear how you get one. I'm not against spending the cash on the barista express or equivalent money on something else. Truth be told i am literally at 1 maybe 2 coffees a day BUT i dare say if the machine was there i might have more lol.
I am just trying to convince myself i actually need one lol

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, i am interested to hear how you get one. I'm not against spending the cash on the barista express or equivalent money on something else. Truth be told i am literally at 1 maybe 2 coffees a day BUT i dare say if the machine was there i might have more lol.
I am just trying to convince myself i actually need one lol
I have max 3 double espressos a day. 99% of the time it is 2 double espressos. I've had this machine about 5 years, so it owes me nothing and I'm ready for the next step up in espresso.
Plus there are few on here ;) that keep tempting me with their purchases. :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021: 21st-22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package
  • By Andy Bassett