Votes: 60 49.2%
  • with sugar or other sweeters

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • without milk and sugar - black and not sweetened

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • no coffee at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I did wonder if my issue was 'unique' to me or the beans I buy.. :)

Were these too fresh. Your difference sounds drastic tbh, maybe made worse by your grind not being fine enough to start.
The grind of my beans changes over the 3-4 weeks it takes me to use 1kg. When I first started with my current favourite coffee it took me ages to dial it in as I never seemd to get it consistent, only to later realise that even with the same coffee for me it seems to change with age. I think it starts too fresh 0-10 days, then matures 10-20 days and then maybe over matures 20-28 days, it's all a bit random to be honest, so in trying to get OCD perfection 18g in, 36g out in 25-35 seconds, I regulalrly have to adjust the grind over a 3-4 week period..

I have never had issues with a grind being 'too fresh'.

As most know i roast my own beans, and sometimes i forget to roast some before my last lot have ran out and literally gone from roaster to grinder whilst still warm, and have never had issues with them.

My guess is that your grinder isn't grinding fine enough, or you are not compacting hard enough.
Ground coffee was roasted in 19/05 and just poured out.
I then ground the beans roasted on 06/05 and it came out too fast.
I then ground (using same setting) the beans roasted on 19/05 and it was much better.

I’m assuming the pre ground was too course. Which is annoying. The older beans were slightly better with my grinder but not great. The newer beans with my grinder were pretty much back to what I had before. My grinder is a definite weak point as I can’t grind any finer bit with fresher beans it’s not too bad.

Shame you can't borrow someones grinder or pop round to use one.
I think you just need to settle for what you have or try / buy a new grinder tbh..

Shame you can't borrow someones grinder or pop round to use one.
I think you just need to settle for what you have or try / buy a new grinder tbh..
I agree. I really want the sage barista express which has a pretty decent grinder built in and is the cheapest option, however, if I bought the niche, what is the best machine to pair it with for good value?

if I bought the niche, what is the best machine to pair it with for good value?
Depends on your budget.
The Sage Dual Boiler is, I reckon, the best value machine currently on the market - its not cheap - but still 2/3 the cost of another dual-boiler machine.
The Niche would make a good pairing with any machine - the Bambino Plus or the Duo Temp Pro, for example.
I had the DTP for over 5 years and it never skipped a beat. I upgraded to the DB, but the DTP is still going strong at my Stepson's. The bambino is a more modern machine - there are plenty of YouTube videos showing both machines making great coffee.
Niche are likely to launch another batch soon (they do them typically at the end of the month - with around an 8-10 week delivery).

Edit: Jut looked on the Sage website and they have the Dynamic Duo back in stock - effectively giving you the Smart Grinder Pro for 1/2 price.

Also book yourself a Sage web demo and they’ll give you a 25% off voucher…
Niche is nice, especially if you like to try different coffees regularly, but the Sage grinder is perfectly fine for a lot less if you want to save a few quid…
If I had to personally pick between a Niche & Bambino or SGP & DB, I’d go Dynamic Duo, the Bambino for me is good but does not allow enough of the control and feedback I like to let me know what’s going on, like shot pull time, also has 58mm filter…

I just like the idea of the single servings from the niche in a smaller footprint, but agree it’s super expensive, so more of a luxury.
My wife is gonna kill me whatever I buy so may as well go all out :D

The Niche and Sage Grinder aren't dissimilar in size, the Sage may be taller due to the hopper.
The thing is the extra ease of control the Niche gives you is brilliant, but the Bambino may take that away by multiple factors.. It’s like putting F1 tyres on 1 litre Fiesta, yes they’re great tyres, but…. For me when I set up my mates Bambino it was a great machine, but not in the same class as the DB would be…

Quite a bit taller though right?
The niche just looks like a great product.
I’ll keep my eye out for deals on the DB.
It’ll be a long term purchase so wanna make the right choice.
Although had the architects round today for the extension...

Also book yourself a Sage web demo and they’ll give you a 25% off voucher…
I don't believe they're still doing this.
It would be worth checking, but I've read on the Sage Facebook group that it stopped a month-or-so ago.
That said, the Masterclasses are excellent.

Can anyone recommend a cheap pod machine for work please?

I'm spoilt with a DeLonghi bean to cup machine at home, and just can't drink instant at work, but a coffee would be nice on a nightshift! 😅

Are Nespresso still the go to machines? I'd prefer something that you can get fake pods for, or be able to make your own, but it's not a deal breaker.

I've found that one so far that looks decent - NESPRESSO by Magimix Inissia 11350 Coffee Machine - Black - Currys 5018399113503 | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

I'm spoilt with a DeLonghi bean to cup machine at home, and just can't drink instant at work, but a coffee would be nice on a nightshift! 😅

Are Nespresso still the go to machines? I'd prefer something that you can get fake pods for, or be able to make your own, but it's not a deal breaker.

I've found that one so far that looks decent - NESPRESSO by Magimix Inissia 11350 Coffee Machine - Black - Currys 5018399113503 | eBay
I like the Nespresso machines but prefer a larger coffee most of the time so went for the Vertua plus machine,
They have a few of last years models available for not much more, I paid £89 for mine that came with 100 capsules and that was pre lockdown last year. I just prefer the flexibility of these machines offering a mug or even larger coffee as well an expresso should you wish.

I found this at John Lewis & Partners. What do you think?
1622292476572.jpeg

Nespresso Vertuo Plus XN903840 Coffee Machine by Krups with Pods at John Lewis & Partners

I like the Nespresso machines but prefer a larger coffee most of the time so went for the Vertua plus machine,
They have a few of last years models available for not much more, I paid £89 for mine that came with 100 capsules and that was pre lockdown last year. I just prefer the flexibility of these machines offering a mug or even larger coffee as well an expresso should you wish.

I found this at John Lewis & Partners. What do you think?View attachment 1519961
Nespresso Vertuo Plus XN903840 Coffee Machine by Krups with Pods at John Lewis & Partners

Is the Vertou the one that you can't buy compatible pods for as it spins or something like that? It will also have to for in my locker at the end of every shift so the other shifts don't break it! 😅

That looks like a bargain though, but I think I'd prefer to be able to use cheap pods now and then.

Yes will only take Nespresso pods for now, they have a barcode on them and yes they spin, varies between 50p and 60p per capsule, you can pick up from boutiques that John Lewis have in some stores but they now offer free delivery on orders of 50+ capsules, so usually about £25/£30 a go. Like I said it works better for me as I’m not a massive lover of small shots of coffee so the mugs/alto size pods suit me perfectly.

they have also recently changed the amounts you could order, used to just be multiples of 50, where as now if you want to order 60 or 70 you now can. Plus they collect the old pods for recycling. 👍🏼

Last edited:

That’s the machine I’ve got and I use it every day. It’s about 4 years old now and still going strong. For your use it’ll probably be fine as it’s not particularly large so will likely fit in your locker. The only minor issue I have with it is that it only does espresso and lungo size drinks so if you want something bigger than that you might need to double dispense or use two pods. I don’t mind that though.
If you buy new make sure you go onto the Nespresso website to register it as there’s usually a new customer promotion going. When I got mine I got a free aeroccino milk frother and a set of glass cups and saucers for free with my first order of pods.
I have one of the Nespresso recurring orders for getting pods regularly, but I also buy them from Amazon, Tesco, Asda, etc. There is a decent variety of third party pods available now.

Last edited:
Yeah the original ones will take third party capsules the vertuo won’t. But the vertuo make more sizes of coffee. I sold my original for a vertuo and regret it as I only drink espresso, my wife has given up on it completely, so wish I’d stayed with the original. I’m thinking of selling and swapping back to an original machine for when I’m feeling lazy. Pods are cheaper too.

Thank you for the replies, I've ordered the Magimix one I linked to, I'm more than happy with a short shot of coffee on nights! 😅😴

Has anyone got any favourite espresso or lungo pods? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies, I've ordered the Magimix one I linked to, I'm more than happy with a short shot of coffee on nights! 😅😴

Has anyone got any favourite espresso or lingo pods? Thanks again.
The Nespresso ones are the best I found. The third party ones mostly just tasted burnt to me. Slightly more from Nespresso but worth it. Still only about 25-30p a coffee.

Has anyone got any favourite espresso or lungo pods? Thanks again.

My favourites are Nespresso’s own pods which is why I have a recurring order for them, but they aren’t the cheapest. I pay £18 for 50 pods so around 35-37p per pod I think.
If I’m picking up locally then I’ll get Starbucks or L’OR branded which are usually £3 to £3.50 for a box of 10.
If you think you might stick with the machine it’s definitely worth looking at a recurring order, just don’t do it straight away. Get your machine registered and take advantage of any new customer promos first then set up a recurring order in a month or two. The reason I say that is because there’s regularly promotions on new recurring orders, but they don’t always apply multiple promotions if they’re done at the same time. Sometimes the promo is discount on the first months order and sometimes it’s free gifts.

That’s the machine I’ve got and I use it every day. It’s about 4 years old now and still going strong. For your use it’ll probably be fine as it’s not particularly large so will likely fit in your locker. The only minor issue I have with it is that it only does espresso and lungo size drinks so if you want something bigger than that you might need to double dispense or use two pods. I don’t mind that though.
If you buy new make sure you go onto the Nespresso website to register it as there’s usually a new customer promotion going. When I got mine I got a free aeroccino milk frother and a set of glass cups and saucers for free with my first order of pods.
I have one of the Nespresso recurring orders for getting pods regularly, but I also buy them from Amazon, Tesco, Asda, etc. There is a decent variety of third party pods available now.

Arrived and registered today, and it's not valid for any current promotion as they're all for Vertuo machines, just my luck! 😅

This just dropped.
Probably the sweet-spot for lots of enthusiasts to buy an espresso machine...

This just dropped.
Probably the sweet-spot for lots of enthusiasts to buy an espresso machine...

Good video. A question, why does he use 18g of coffee then make espresso in two cups? Is it just because he wants a single and the cups are too small?

18g is for a double espresso, but most have that just in one cup..
Does he have it in 2 as he's a professional, bit like only the english drinking pints!! :)

I would think it was because he was only tasting the coffee from the 5 machines, not having a coffee...

150 capsules for £6 from an Amazon price glitch, and another 60 for £8, should see me through for a little while, oops...

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_185912.jpg
    IMG_20210603_185912.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210603_190012.jpg
    IMG_20210603_190012.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 18

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom