The clock is ticking...Sony or JVC?

jeremy bender

I know this is really a matter of personal choice but I would really welcome views on choosing a new projector and until the reviews of the latest models are on AV Forums I am really struggling to decide the best way forward.

I have had a JVC X-3 for just under 5 years since they were released and have loved the image and especially the black levels and contrast despite some bulb and lock up issues. I am fortunate to have a dedicated room with dark decor.

I want to upgrade but cannot decide between a new Sony 520ES given it has both a native 4K panel plus HDR, or one of the new JVC models with HDR but obviously not native 4K.

I intend to keep what I choose in place for ideally at least 5 years again. I don't want and cannot justify the cost of changing every year or two. It's a significant investment although as a family we have made good use of our system and in that sense it seems we get value for money as we really enjoy our films and the quality of the image has been fine.

We will try and get set up for 4K content as soon as discs and Netflix/Sky etc are up and running but will also watch our blu rays and other HD sources for some time. I am not sure how much real world difference there is between e-shift and true 4K but we have a 7 foot screen.

I would love to read the reviews of the latest models which will help inform me, but it's not clear when Steve or others will post those. The clock is ticking only because our plan was to make sure this was decided and installed for Xmas but that is not critical I guess given the outlay and need to get this right.

As soon as I can I will try and have demos of both but I cannot see the Sony until end of Nov and not sure when the JVCs will be on demo.

Any thoughts would be very welcome please.

Thanks

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
My only thoughts are; don't rush to order one in time for Christmas. You're going to keep it 5 years, so better to read all the reviews you can once they are out, but more importantly to go out and actually demo the two side by side (should be possible as plenty of AAs on here sell both brands).

I compared the older VW500ES and X500 and preferred the JVC, but there are plenty on here who are the other way round and we're all right. ;)

Apollo

I am in the same position in wanting not 'needing' a new projector. As Kelvin says, no need to rush. Wait for the reviews and take the time out for a demo with one of the resident retailers here.

The most noticeable improvement with UHD is said to be by those in the industry and some here to be from the wider colour space and HDR plus 10bit video rather than the resolution increase to 4k. Unless you have a very close viewing distance or huge screen I have doubts as to whether the Sony will look much sharper or detailed than the new JVC's with eShift.

Justin

william149

Whilst reviews are a good indicator, the only real way is to get a demo of both in a similarly lit room to your environment, that way you can decide yourself.
Also, i don't know whether id read too much in to HDR at the moment, a lot of people keep banging on about this, but ultimately i think it will be some time until it hits main stream & apart from that, if you purchase a PJ now without HDR, you're never going to know any difference anyway, unless someone drags a new PJ to your place to test it out.
Just my 2 penneth.

jeremy bender

Thanks for the thoughts and wise counsel.

I have a demo of the Sony 520ES this Saturday which will be interesting.Does anyone know where it would be possible to demo the JvC new models in the West Midlands area please?

Also - AV Forums staffers - are you able to give any sense of likely timing for reviews being posted of the new Sony and JVC models please?

Cheers

porscheman

4K on a 7 ft screen seems daft to me, but what do I know ! :)

Apollo

4K on a 7 ft screen seems daft to me, but what do I know ! :)

It might not be so daft if he is intending to sit 4 ft away from it! ;)

Justin

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
UHD and HDR are still to be fully established, so I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a pj right now, and not on a Sony as there appear to be some potential issues with contrast and lumen reduction over time due to (I beleive) panel degradation on low usage units.

I would wait, or buy a JVC.

Gary

jeremy bender

A bit confused...so I have a 7 foot (diagonal) screen in a custom fitted room (i.e. dark etc) and we sit in 2 rows at least 12-15 feet back from the screen- are you saying this is not big enough to warrant 4K? This seems odd as surely 4K would be an improvement and the colour spectrum is better as well? Its obviously hard to say until we see some UHD discs to compare...

That said, I saw the Sony 520ES at Frank Harvey in a full KEF and Yamaha Dolby Atmos set up yesterday. I thought the overall detail quality and contrast was pretty strong with Blu Ray and the image was just "enjoyable" - i.e. it was nice to just enjoy the film on display. I tried the water landing and wave scene 10 from Interstellar which has a good combo of bright and black levels and it looked solid to me. There was no 4K content to also check unfortunately but 1080p looked good.

I am still going to try and see the new JVC x7000 before doing anything.

My wife and I did think it may not matter that much about 4K really as we really enjoyed the filmic look of blu ray on the 520ES yesterday. Sometimes I realise it is more about just enjoying the film in excellent quality without too much thought about extracting that last bit of detail which often is only really visible in static scenes anyway...

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Yes, you're unlikely to see the full benefit of 4k res from that distance - Sony recommend you sit 1.5 x the image height back - that's a tad over 5 feet from the screen, but that's not to say that there won't be any resolution benefits at all, just limited.

But you're right that you'll probably see the ther benefits of colour and HDR.

Can you go for a bigger screen or move your seats forward? Would you consider a CIH 2.35 set up with a screen of the same height as the screen you currently have? You might find a more immersive experience a big upgrade all by itself and at considerably reduced cost.

Gary

jeremy bender

Gary thanks for this

is that right - only 1.5 times image height? It seems too close to me as when that close it can be hard to absorb the full content of the screen (i.e. can feel disorientating when too close to a screen).

I am not sure what a CIH set up is sorry...

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I agree - 1.5 is a little too close for many people except maybe in IMAX, but those movies are usually composed differently so they're not uncomfortable to watch from that close.

CIH (constant image height) means a 2,35 screen where everything is shown at the same height - scope movies are shown bigger (but the same height) than 1.85 rather than the other way round, so are then 77% bigger than you are currently seeing them.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom