1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The cleansing of England supporters ?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by HMHB, Aug 21, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    I'm a member of the official Englandfans travel club which is the only official way to get tickets for England away matches. I've followed them for many years now and have usually managed to get tickets up until this last year or so. For every home match you attend you get awarded a "cap" and the same for away games. People with more caps get preference for tickets over people with fewer caps, so the ones with more caps get more tickets and so more caps and so for the last few times I've applied I've had to resort to going in the ballot which is basically the luck of the draw.
    The problem I've had is that I couldn't afford to go to the friendly in New York the other month and so that put me behind quite a few people in caps. I also didn't get tickets for a couple of qualifying away matches, so I had no chance of getting a ticket for N Ireland away and no chance for the game against Wales. The friendly in Denmark was again out of my price range (£400 to £500 for a 2 day trip) but I applied again not getting tickets. They have just lined up a friendly against Argentina in November (assuming we are not in the play-offs) and it will be held in Geneva - again another place that's not going to be cheap. I'm going to apply for tickets for this but can't be sure I can get one. 2 friends who have been lucky enough to get to all the other matches are booking their flight tonight for £83 return, but that will shoot through the roof as soon as they find out England have a match there, so I'll end up paying at least double that if I do get tickets.
    I fear that the only people who will be able to get tickets for away games from now on will be the ones who could afford to go to all these away matches (and afford the time off work), leaving loyal supporters like myself and many others like me without a hope. I can't see me getting tickets for Germany now through the official route :(
    Sorry to bore you all with this, but I feel let down by the FA as I've paid my fees for the club like everyone else has and feel that I'm being priced out of supporting my country.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    I sympathise....

But someone needs to pay for the wine list at the FA HQ.

Why did I say that?

'Cos they must be drinking lots to give Sven a new contract for pimping himself, then say he's got the job for as long as he wants. :rolleyes:

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    JohnG

I too sympathise that you, as a genuine England fan, can't get tickets simply because you don't go to ALL the games. Not is not possible for most people.

However, you say that the only people who will get tickets for away games are ones who can afford to go to away games and get time off work as well leaving loyal supporters like you without a hope. Surely if someone goes to all the away games they must be loyal as well?

Finally, the title of your thread, 'the cleansing of England supporters' - why do you call it that? Is it because you feel that the FA is trying to attract rich, well-behaved people to follow England away from home?

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    Yes I believe they are wanting just the wealthy ones to be able to get tickets for Germany. I can see why they want to make sure that troublemakers don't get tickets but every member of the club has been OKd by the police so we are all "fit for the purpose" :D If we had a government that was prepared to take the passport away from all the know troublemakers (they are all known) then there would be no need for this kind of thing. It was us normal working class supporters who went to England games in the past when there was only 30,000 at Wembley and it wasn't fashionable.
    Yes these other people are loyal as well, but for how long ?
    By the way, there's no guarantee that rich people are well behaved and the not so rich are the hooligans !

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    I agree with all you say.

I think that football is that well marketed that they are people 'following' the game now that weren't 10 years ago. You know the sort of people I mean. The sudden upsurge in Chelsea fans now that they have all the fame, players, money. I remember a sudden increase in the no. of Blackburn shirts when they won the title but I never see a shirt on the streets these days.

It is sad that they don't count the games you attended when no-one else went - you deserve double caps for them at least !!

Also agree about the rich being well behaved. I remember many documentaries over the bad times telling us how a lot of hooligans had well paying, highly respectable jobs.

Take away their passports indeed.

6. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    It also worries me that this scum element will travel without tickets unless someone in authority stop them :(

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Wasn't it on the news a couple of week ago saying there would be World Cup 06 banning orders put on any persons that cause trouble at matches in Eng this season?

8. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    Yes it was, but a lot of these hooligans know that so won't be going to domestic games.