The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Movie Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Andrew Mogford, 15th December 2010.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a far better film than you might imagine. It takes a different approach to the first two films in the series, and this approach probably makes it a better film both for fans of the series and for those newcomers to the franchise. It is not afraid to jettison parts of the novel, and embellish it slightly to make a better movie. Apted does a very good job as a newcomer to the franchise, boldly placing his own style on the film and as thus rejuvenating a series that was ailing badly after Prince Caspian. Early box office figures have been very disappointing, and it would be a great shame if the series was allowed to end here as the future looks bright.

I cannot say the same about the picture quality though, particularly on the 3D version. This is another lazy up convert. The director had consider shooting in 3D originally, but had rejected the option. The conversion was done to compete with Tron Legacy and Yogi Bear – two major 3D pictures being released at the same time. It is a poor reason to do it, and the result is as disappointing as you can imagine. Stick to the 2D version if you can. The soundtrack is fantastic – very vibrant and active, and truly filling the theatre. There is a disappointing lack of bass to the mix which loses it a few marks but it is still a very enjoyable soundtrack.

Read the full review...

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Good review, I cant wait to go see this. Going to go see it on Friday. Think I might opt for the 2D version though and wait for the 3D BD to come out, they usually do a better job of the conversions on Blu Ray. Think its because they have more time or something

Last edited:

bosque

Novice Member
From the look of extended excerpts the 3D effects looked abysmal - and seeing as box office was very poor in the US, let's hope this movie begins the sound of a death knell for that horrible old-fashioned un-cinematic special effect.

Saw this today before reading your review and went for the 3D version and it was like watching a film with sunglasses on - the makers hadn't compensated for the drop in light caused by the glasses and the whole thing was a total mess - because of this, my enjoyement of the film itself was pretty much 0 and I actually found myself dozing off like it was a Boxing Day afternoon film...and this was in Screen 4 of Cineworld Crawley which is THX approved - not for 3D obviously but the sound system is pretty special - normally.

C

claireebuyer

Thanks for this- I'm really interested in going to see the film as I enjoyed the TV versions of The Narnia Chronicles. Can't believe Americans are using church to try and get more bums on seats, well actually I can but it seems a bit desperate. Like you I have had low expectations for these films- I went to Prince Caspian expecting nothing great but actually loved every minute! I'm surprised it went down so lead balloon like really. Anyway I've got to say I'm so impressed with the thorough reviews I've read on here so far- better than Empire's in my opinion :):thumbsup::p

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
From the look of extended excerpts the 3D effects looked abysmal - and seeing as box office was very poor in the US, let's hope this movie begins the sound of a death knell for that horrible old-fashioned un-cinematic special effect.

Why would you hope that? Many people really enjoy 3D (if it's done well of course), if you don't like it that's fine, but why would you hope it dies?

Andrew, good review btw and I was somewhat surprised. I only saw the first movie and I thought it was dire really (acting was wooden, and the whole thing was unengaging), is it worth catching the second one before seeing this?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member

No, hope it doesnt stop 3D films. What would be more correct to say is to hope it stops dodgey 2D - 3D conversions in post production.

No, hope it doesnt stop 3D films. What would be more correct to say is to hope it stops dodgey 2D - 3D conversions in post production.

Agreed - this was a joke. I can count the films I've seen in 3D on the fingers of one hand and if this is anything to go by then I won't be taking my shoes and socks off anytime soon!

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Agreed - this was a joke. I can count the films I've seen in 3D on the fingers of one hand and if this is anything to go by then I won't be taking my shoes and socks off anytime soon!

Its a shame that they can ruin films by dodgey 3D conversions in post productions, if it was 3D to begin with ie: filmed, mastered etc in 3D then it would have been fine. Its post production 3D that is giving the anti 3D brigade fuel for their fire.

Take the Shrek 3D series in 3D for example. They actually went a re-rendered most of it to get a good 3D sample and that is some of the best 3D I have ever seen, but they basically re recorded all the films in 3D software. But they cant exactly go and re shoot a film in 3D.

Anyway, my mom is taking me to see this for my birthday tomorrow, I asked her to book the 2D version too, so should be a better viewing experience.

Andrew Mogford

is it worth catching the second one before seeing this?

tricky one. Have you read the books? If not then the extra scene wont ruin it for you, you will get some pretty cool battles, and the reason for why some characters are in Treader and some not will be thoroughly explained.

Caspian is also a major character in Treader.

But I wouldn't say it is essential to see Prince Caspian first.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Well i just saw this in the cinema now. I thought it was excellent. I did see it in 3D and felt it was done badly and unfortunately gives 3D a bad name. But none the less, what a good film!!!

BRW

It's essential not to see Prince Caspian at all :)

I agree 100%. Actually really enjoyed the first movie, and it survives repeat viewings, but the 2nd totally ruined things for me. Awful film. And unfortunately it's left me put off the franchise. May watch it when it comes out on Blu-ray, but I'm still very cynical after the horror of Caspian. Nice review though, it sounds like they are trying to redeem themselves with this one.

stkonline

Standard Member
Good review, good film too. But I felt 3-D was not really justified seems to be a ploy to make cinema goers spend a bit more..

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom